1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Cosmic Anomaly Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Unofficial Lore Discussion' started by Kazyyk, Aug 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

In light of recent OOC events, such as our low playercount, corrupted planets, crashes, freezes, and other issues; I think that a universe wipe is completely necessary to purge corrupted data and to help prevent further corruption by actively policing the ILC mod, providing a replacement for it, and increasing awareness (by making a proper announcement and worth of mouth).

As much as it sucks and it hurts, I honestly believe that a universe reset will be healthy for us in the long haul. So to help with this transition and to enable us, as a community, to better flesh ourselves out for the future, I have come up with an idea for our lore to help us explain this reset in a lore friendly and IC way.

Please bear with me as this explanation relies heavily on Science Fiction.

I present... the Cosmic Anomaly!

Discuss.

#1 Kazyyk, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2015
  2. SP3CTR3

SP3CTR3 Flipping Tables at ignorance!

This is a great idea, though it would meet with some resistance from those who've put in the time to make new colonies/bases/etc. recently.

The upshot is that this would really provide a cool springboard for new story arcs, a cosmic threat as a backdrop is a really cool way of introducing new elements as well as good reasons that old colonies are no longer reachable. If Antares is on it's own now, cut off from the core sector, it would force us to think of on-server ways of being self-sufficient for RP purposes. It does give a lot of credence to other possible threats including alien viruses, xenomorph parasites and other stuff that's fun and science fiction-y.

Overall though, I think this would be a positive step towards mitigating the issues of crash-looping.

3. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

That's another thing... It wouldn't be Antares anymore, since what made the Antares Frontier was it's proximity to the Antares star. We'll have to come up with a new name for this isolated area of space in the middle of nowhere.

4. SP3CTR3

Gotcha, so we'd have moved on from Antares entirely, if any of our characters even made it that is...that's pretty cool and interesting.

Epsilon Sector is my name vote! (or Pleiades...not sure actually)

5. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Well, it's assumed that by luck or chance any pre-existing characters are from Antares, but any new characters could theoretically be from anywhere as the anomaly hit. Since displacement affects spacetime, a single world could be displaced and have it's inhabitants arrive in the area at different times so that isn't an issue.
    Let's not focus on the name for now... that discussion could take over this entire thread if we let it. I'd like to answer questions that folks might have and flesh out the details more.

6. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

Would this area of space be completely uninhabited? Would players have the option to make characters who were in this new frontier in the first place? It may be worth having some sort of frontier town just to act as a kind of beacon to circumvent the initial "coords?" madness. Otherwise the anomaly is an excellent idea that serves to provide motivations for many characters to not only take part in the area, but even seek out this sector of space to study said anomaly.

7. TrashHound

Could we still possibly implement a plot from the "Story Arc Planning"? or would we just get rid of that completely? I like the idea of cosmic anomaly, but I still feel like we should also do some plot like constructing a city. Or maybe the anomaly left some space pirates in are location.

8. CouchPotato360

CouchPotato360 Last Man Standing

[​IMG]
    This gives me many ideas.

9. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

It will have animalistic alien life which can be hunted for sustenance/food.

Unfortunately, no, as the anomaly is basically shuffling the cosmos slowly over time. This area could have particulary major story connections to it as well, which I've been considering, to give reason as to why so many are being displaced in it's vicinity.

Maybe as an initial event.

Since the cosmos is being shuffled, traditional maps of space are being invalidated over time. I think it highly improbable that anyone would be able to find this area of space outside of being displaced nearby.

10. FoRgE

FoRgE Whack-A-Yak-5

It's a very nice idea, but we will need to discuss on if current players survive, what they have and how much they still carry on them.

11. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

This is a good point, if we assume the anomaly event was instant, a lot of people will be left on randomized planets with no ship, and perhaps no means of communicating their distress.

I could foresee people getting frustrated over having to RP by themselves building a radio/ship from scratch.

12. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

The anomaly isn't instant, as it is very bright. Almost impossible to look at. You would see it coming fairly far away and have some time (to be determined) to prepare. We can assume then, for ease of transition, most people would beam back to their ships.

As far as inventory is concerned, I have an entirely separate idea and system for that, however due to time constraints it won't be ready for this lore event. So until then, we can assume that characters may bring whatever they had on them.

13. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

Right, forgot about that bit. Already got an event to start it off in mind.

14. Node

Node Literal Edgelord

I like the idea of a cosmic anomaly. It adds a bit of science fiction back into the science fiction game.

Hundreds of years ago in the distant past (2013-14) I remember there being a lot more weird stuff around Antares. Seeing this sort of business is like a step back towards that. Which I think is a good step. Frankly, I think we need more of this. Space marines in space and space bars are pretty drawn out.

15. TrashHound

Do you have a date in mind when this anomaly will come into effect? And will players be able to contact each other via radio after it happens?

16. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

IC time has been considered real time, with exceptions made for RP fluff.

There's no date yet, as it isn't even gauranteed to happen. I'm awaiting more feedback, approval, and discussion.

As for radios, that technology will need to be discussed in another thread, but I don't think the anomaly will interfere with many electronics.

17. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

I approve of this, however I am also wondering about item transfer. I've got Jace with Stirpis, so how much of the guns/machinery he has would be able to beam with him? Could he prepare and bring stuff? Etc.

18. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I'm honestly not sure how much each individual could bring, but I'm thinking just for something interesting it could be so that nobody could bring *everything*, just some things.

As well, we have to consider that this anomaly represents a unique opportunity to completely reboot the roleplay tone of SBRP and our community. Do we really want to bring all the things over from Antares that led to the issues we faced before? Wouldn't the isolated self-sufficient survival (which fits well with the game mechanics) be something different and possibly more interesting and engaging than bringing over five dozen guns? (Not targeting you, just an example.)

Now, I also just had a thought occur to me and I want to mention that I do want to take us into a more futuristic sci-fi direction, so this survival thing isn't going to be nitty gritty "find food water and shelter", so much as a "There's no external trade, so we have to trade amongst ourselves." situation. (As I said earlier, I have a system in mind for this, but it's going to take approximately a month or two to program.)

19. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

It's also worth mentioning that this anomaly would get rid of any contact with the Core Worlds, so my god-awful trade system will be out the window (as much as I was proud of it, I know no one liked it). Any kind of trade or production will be monitored somehow, so 'asspulling' as it is so affectionately called will be a definite no-no.

20. SP3CTR3

I'm personally excited for this aspect and to see what Kaz has in mind here...

I personally liked the trade system, but just because it didn't get used frequently, doesn't mean it was bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.