1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Cities in Space.

Discussion in 'Unofficial Lore Discussion' started by Froot, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Froot

Froot OH SO VERY NICE

So Davarpe put forward an idea to have a ship-based colony which would be simple to make so that if it began crashing, you could simply build an exact copy somewhere else, so that you still had that colony but a legitimate reason for it to ICly have moved i.e. it's a ship so it can move.
    Sort of like, if anybody else here knows 40K lore, it's basically the same principle as an Eldar Craftworld. Or alternatively if anybody watches Doctor Who, it's like the ship that is the city of London from that episode The Beast Below. (Here's a picture of it.)
    [​IMG]
    A sort of colony with engines that moves through space while stile retaining its functional use as a colony.
    It would be a good idea for if these crashes are happening, and so I think these world-ships should be implemented ICly.
    At least, that's what I think of it. What does everyone else think of it?

#1 Froot, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2015
  2. Yotan

Yotan New Member

I like this idea. A lot of RP can be created in confined spaces, specially on a ship like fuel cells becoming ruptured, water tank springing a leak and flooding decks, breaches in the hull.

3. Node

Node Literal Edgelord

Yes. And rascally clouns throwing banana peels in front of med, and security being generally ineffective.

4. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

Shitcurity is worst, they kidnap clown, kill clown. Fuck shitcurity. The Captain is a condom.

5. Froot

Froot OH SO VERY NICE

What? Could you explain how this is relevant?

6. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

SS13 references.

7. Froot

Froot OH SO VERY NICE

8. Node

Node Literal Edgelord

I think this is a no-brainer. If its a well built colony, it will see traffic. Personally, sounds like a place I would go with a character like Ion. I can see her in an apartment in space. Just makes sense for her.

9. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

Something like Titan Station from Dead Space 2.

Y'know... Without the necromorphs, though.

10. Yotan

Yotan New Member

I probably would have a character residing there as well. Sounds like a very worth while place to be.

11. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

It seems to me like it would just require too many resources in general. We're trying to push away from super-colonies and their overnight births and all that, and a ship-colony that can fly around would require massive amounts of resources, more than any ship or city, constant maintenance, and enough fuel to drown an entire planet. Just my two cents, anyways.

12. Froot

Froot OH SO VERY NICE

Yes, it would require resources. But I don't see how it would require more than a city on the ground.
    Does a ground city not also require maintenance?
    And it doesn't necessarily need that much fuel as you'd think it does, as I see it more of a controlled satellite. In space, unless an external force is applied it would never stop or even slow down, so the only fuel you would need is enough to get it moving and small reserves to steer it away from potential obstacles in the city-ship's path.

13. Avis

It would need to be insulated the same way ships are, kept in perfect condition or else everyone on board would die from the slightest error (Like a ship), and the amounts of fuel are much, much, much more than you'd guess. Nowadays it takes over one million pounds of solid propellant and 500,000 gallons of liquid fuel to launch a space shuttle, and a space shuttle is about 120 feet long, not exactly large. I don't want to just rain on the idea and shut it down, so I'm sorry if it comes off like that, but I just think it would take way too many resources and not exactly fit into the frontier.

14. Froot

Froot OH SO VERY NICE

No, it's fine! It's always good to have criticism, but another point I'd like to point out is, this is 400 years in the future so anything could be possible
    I mean, nobody's brought up complaints that you go faster than light when you're travelling between worlds so y'know, it could be plausible
    I'm simply thinking of an IC excuse for rebuilding a crashing colony

#14 Froot, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2015
  15. Avis

Yeah, it's definitely a good way to go about. I think it could be possible as long as you had a lot to work with on the startup. Honestly if you managed to get everyone in Antares to ICly pitch in (Which a lot of people might) I think it would be super cool, it could even end up as a 'tying together' point for Antares.

16. Froot

Froot OH SO VERY NICE

Yeah, I mean who wouldn't want to help build a flying city, y'know?!

17. Yotan

Yotan New Member

I would think the the ship would be built in space for the most part but again the time and resources to get the time and resources in space would be crazy huge.

18. Wreth

Wreth New Member

You could always construct it in space using the pieces of various ships combined, that's how the tribe built sundew station

19. Avis

True, but to move the ship from planet to planet would still be quite a feat.

20. SP3CTR3

SP3CTR3 Flipping Tables at ignorance!

Like taping several ships together? Like a flotilla? Avis, please don't suck the fun out of our Sci-fi setting. Also, I want to remind you that this is a player suggested solution to a IG problem/technical issue...why not help figure out how it could be possible instead of making road blocks?