1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Article: Antimatter Hysteria

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Kazi, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Kazi

Kazi New Member

Antimatter Hysteria
    by Lee

A few days ago there was a reported theft from a lab protected by Stark. Normally a theft would not be that news worthy however what was stolen was antimatter, and it was stolen by a Floran named Syntia! (coming soon:An Article on Syntia and Floran racism)

Speculation burned through the Starnet fast fueled by Ray Beluga (for more information on Ray Beluga please see my article, "Who is Ray Beluga" http://community.playstarboundrp.com/threads/article-who-is-ray-beluga.2441/) and his claims that "One gram of antimatter could create an explosion 357,000,000,000 times as powerful as the human 20 kiloton bomb" or that it was the "equivalent of a 40 kiloton bomb" and that the missing 150 micrograms could "easily could wipe out an entire colony."

In addition he cited only part of the GWC Treaty, completely ignoring the sections that allow antimatter to be used in medical imaging and the fact that it was once was and probably still is for many older ships used as a fuel for interplanetary or interstellar travel as part of an antimatter catalyzed nuclear pulse propulsion or other antimatter rocketry.

So naturally I did some digging, and what I found out was remarkable. One gram of antimatter annihilating with one gram of matter produces 180 terajoules, the equivalent of 42.96 kilotons of TNT (approximately 3 times the bomb dropped on Hiroshima - and as such enough to power an average city for an extensive amount of time). One gram! But wait! How much was stolen again? 150 micrograms? That is only 0.00015 of a gram! that is 0.006444 kilotons of TNT, which by my research means that is it no more powerful that a conventional human bomb, circa 2000 AD that is.

True, antimatter has fallen out of fashion for space travel what with the advent of modern fuel converters making it safer and easier for intersteller and interplantary travel, but the medical world is still using it a great deal to do positron emission tomography (PET) scans, as well as in some other more modern scans that work on the same principals, and without it the spread of many cancers would be left undetected.

Yes, this antimatter could potentially be used for a bomb, however so can many household chemicals when improperly mixed and with about the same explosive capabilities of the missing antimatter. So lets all just breath a little easier, this is not the end of a world.

#1 Kazi, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2014
  2. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

-Syntia-
    FINALLY someone with brain that isn't like "omg she's going to blow up everything"

3. Steamy

Steamy Pro spam bot

-Acetello-

None the less she stole that anti matter and should be brought to justice, for taking the anti matter.

4. SirFruitcakes

SirFruitcakes New Member

This is a great article, I wonder what the thief has planned for the antimatter, I don't know much about the Carroli Corp but from what I can tell they seem trustworthy and I wouldn't think them responsible. This Ray Beluga is definitely not just a everyday engineer, at the very least he seems shady.

EDIT: I sure do typo alot when I wake up and start posting on starnet ... fixed

- Del

#4 SirFruitcakes, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2014
  5. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

(([​IMG] Le antimatter))

6. Switchback

Switchback Iss likess fissh eyess~!

Thiss makess chief laugh. Doess wonder what sslave hass planned though Hs Hs Hs

-Sharptooth

7. -Wrath-

Hee-row-she-muh???

8. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

-Syntia-
    What?

9. -Wrath-
    What is Hiroshima?

10. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

-Syntia-
    Oh, no idea.

11. Switchback

What doess sslave plan to do.. Hs Hs Hs? Chief wantss to know~

-Sharptooth

12. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

-Syntia-
    Returning home.

13. Switchback

Hsss thatss not fun. thatss not fun at all. thought sslave wass gonna do ssomething fun with thiss sstuff. iss dissappointed

-Sharptooth

14. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

-Syntia-
    WHY EVERYONE THINKS I'M GOING TO BLOW UP THINGS!!! GROW UP GOD!

15. Switchback

Hs Hs Hs ohhh touchy~
    chief recommendsss blowing ssomething up though... itss fun!

-Sharptooth

16. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

-Syntia-
    Oh my... No. Plain no.

17. Switchback

Hs Hs Hs.. cannot guesss how funny thiss iss to chief..

-Sharptooth

18. -Wrath-
    Stop flirting on Starnet, Wrath still trying to find what Hiroshima means.

19. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

Ancient human city. Hit with nuclear bomb. No real significance.

20. Eleven

Eleven Mädchen in Uniform

-anonymous-

No significance? Maybe someone should drop such a bomb, which stroke Hiroshima , above your home town too. Then you'd see how this is not a significant event.