1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Am I op?

Discussion in 'Character Discussion' started by GateKeeper, Sep 1, 2014.

1. GateKeeper

GateKeeper New Member

As of a recent botched attempt at rp on my end I have decided to come here to get input on features my character has.

X is an android who collects data and is like major geeky,haxor good with computer's, tried to add a negative by making him not very good in combat or have good armor.

As for him in combat because its gonna happen, he has a "Revolver" that uses a magnetic rail system (thinking on it this could be easy to OP but I figure it just shoots a 45.cal slug out like a bullet, I dunno)
    As for his haxoring I was rping he had like Doc Ock robo arms from his back, but I voided that because lets face it, it's op in itself. I have decided to replace it with a small single cable that like shoots into a computer's port from his wrist, But I'm thinking that I also could use it like a whip ( <- really main thing I want feedback on)

Anyway's thats all I can really think on right now, Thank you for reading and any feedback you can give to help me make my character as non op as possible.

2. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

He's not really OP.
    Here's how to make him less OP.
    1. He requires a power source, whether it be charging daily or buying new batteries/fuel.
    2. He's affected by water.
    3. The scans he does tickle/slightly sting whoever he scans.
    Just some ideas.

3. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Moved to Character Discussion forum.

4. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

Not really OP, definitely has significant weaknesses considering an electrical surge would put him out of business like THAT. I dont think its a problem

5. DeltaV

DeltaV New Member

I don't really see a situation where shooting out a USB cable would be more practical than just plugging it in and owning a whip.

6. GateKeeper

GateKeeper New Member

I was thinking that things would not always have a usb port and maybe it would like stab into it to force a connection? (Just my thought thanks for feedback though)

7. DeltaV

DeltaV New Member

I'm not sure that's how computers work. It's a cool-sounding idea in theory, but it's kind of Hollywood logic-y.

8. Donovennn

Donovennn New Member

just be careful with the hacking aspect. It would be really easy to fall into the trap of "I hack things so I now control your entire fleet because it has computers."

Other than that just do what the other guys say. They're probably more experienced than me.

9. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

I find that if you want to hack, you have to have at least a semblance of an idea of how to do it. And tkae time for each "hack", RPing out what you're doing. Thats how I run my character. I'll emote each action that he does when "hacking" or the like. The cable thing is an interesting idea, but maybe have it not shoot out so much as just being wound into his wrist, and he can pulls it out. Maybe have a pouch full of port adapters that you could plug into the main cable to allow it to connect to most computer ports. If you lose it, then you cant do as much, ya know? Also, and this is just general knowledge, if someone calls you out on something while RPing, take tiem and listen to them patiently and logically, otherwise itl turn into an OOC shitstorm that no one likes.

10. GateKeeper

GateKeeper New Member

My logic was it would pierce the port and just hook into the wire that would be hooked to said port

11. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

As long as you speak oocly with the folks you ATTEMPT to hack, its fine. Just don't use this is a mechanic to metagame information.

12. Animator

Animator New Member

Technically you are OP. You're the one opening with this post.

As for the character, eh. He sounds like a cybernetic Simon Belmont with that USB cable whip of his. Something to note is that repeatedly using a USB cable as a whip is going to have physical ramifications to the cable itself, so if he's going to use it to whip things a lot, it will more likely than not become very useless very fast. Beyond that, along with everything else everyone has said, he's fine. I recommend giving him a secret real name just so you can have something to refer back to when the time comes.

13. Xenalith

Xenalith New Member

Seems fine to me, just don't be this guy...
    [​IMG]

14. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Puts the Coo in Cool

That would actually be pretty funny, so long as you're just whipping them with a sissy plastic cable.