1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Alternate Characters Abuse

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Atom, Nov 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atom

Atom New Member

Purposing that new characters created would need a vote on their back story like the one required to join the server.

I understand this would slow down the creation of alts but is that really a bad thing? This can stop characters from coming about with the sole purpose of revenge for their last character or just as a throw away for a military faction. If donators can vote on character creation maybe more people would donate, which is a very positive outcome. Please state your concerns and ideas about this.

2. Atom

Atom New Member

Don't bother posting if your only argument against this is you can't be bothered to wait a day or two to make your character. A simple delay is much better than having to debate the characters existence after they have done the damage. I'm already doubting this will work seeing how people vote no without explaining why when I first made this thread. I can only assume the people that voted no without explaining just want their empty shell throw away characters.

#2 Atom, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2014
  3. Redwilt

Redwilt Washed up has been

While that's fine and dandy and all, I don't think the mods need even more work from what i can tell most don't do it anyway. on their shoulders.
    Plus, for factions like the Blackleaf, waiting a day or two for a character that will be throwaway technically is fairly insane. It's probably be like a week though.

4. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Then don't make throwaways

5. Atom

Atom New Member

Losing characters of your military faction SHOULD hurt the factions strength. I understand you want to constantly make new ones so you never lose, but this is un-fair for all the other people fighting back with characters they role play with and use in combat.

6. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

I think this server could use a lot more "real" characters, instead of disposable throwaways made to be killed off the second they step foot on the server. That's why I feel this system would be nice to have, though it may give the reviewers and moderators more work.

7. Atom

Atom New Member

It would give them more work, but would stop a lot of problems that keep happening in return. I think this could prevent some things that the mod team has to deal with. Even if it isn't a vote system in place. Something should limit how quickly people replace their throw away characters. This is one of the main goals = Prevent problems the mods have to deal with before they start.

This is a perfect example of why there should be restrictions. Infinite characters to replace lost ones is not balanced. You will never be able to stop a faction that can produce un-limited soldiers instantly.

8. Sen

Sen Guest

Not enough manpower.

9. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

While it is a good principle, I feel that it would either be executed badly or not executed at all. Also, giving donators the power to say yes or no is a big no-no. I agree that characters should seem more "real" and that people shouldnt have a trillion and one throwaways, but theres gotta be some sort of middle ground between waiting a week or so to play a new character and making a hundred and one in one night.

10. Atom

Atom New Member

I agree. A vote might not be the best way to handle this, BUT WE NEED SOMETHING.

11. Destroyer713

Destroyer713 New Member

The main problem I see with having the community or donors to vote on 2nd+ characters is that, to put it lightly, some people here I've noticed can be very opinionated about what a character should be. This, in my opinion, could potentially lead to where the loudest people on the forums are the ones deciding what characters come to life on the server, and you'd potentially wind up with a server full of only certain type of characters, destroying any sort of variety in the server's characters.

Not to mention, Idk if the Whitelist script can even be modified to only accept certain characters from an IP to prevent people from just skipping the voting stuff to begin with.

No comment on just having mods look at applications for additional characters, because I can't even begin to imagine how much additional work would be required from them, if it's even significant at all.

12. Atom

Atom New Member

Ok so a vote system is not an option as the mods might have to be mods... But lets figure something out.

13. Redwilt

Redwilt Washed up has been

I think you misinterpreted. I did not mean every military faction. Example, albeit probably poor one, R.A. They had a recruitment system, limited manpower, etc. Factions like Blackleaf should not need a check for characters that are litterally meant to be fodder for the sake of others' gaining combat experience, potential injury to assist development or, if consented, death, because life isn't pretty and perfect.

14. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

So any alts that a player is planning on actually playing and developing. For example if I were to abandon Cole, and start a new charatcer, Id need another character check like in the initial application. Yes?

15. Atom

Atom New Member

And I'm not saying there need to be no cannon fodder troops. Maybe just a delay in how often you can create them. If you lose a lot of cannon fodder troops it should affect the group. Even if its just two days until a person can make there next alt to fill the same shoes. Filling that spot on the hour of the last ones death should not happen.

16. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

"Fodder" Characters are heavily discouraged by the Faction regulations, regarding NPC characters. To be blunt, fodder characters are a simple loophole around the ban on NPCs at combatants, and as such, really shouldn't be used.

However, on the original topic of the thread, I agree that it's a good idea, but it's another ideal that can't be fulfilled by the server's current state, sadly. It's far too much work for the staff team, which has enough trouble regarding applications and manpower as is.

17. Atom

Atom New Member

I don't have the solution to this, which is why I started this thread. If you want to have disposable characters for combat great. But there should be limits to how often they are created. Maybe in the faction's forum section you could have a list of forum names of the people involved. The number of players that actually are involved with the group could determine how many cannon fodder troops they could produce and list them there. This could eliminate the need for mods to get involved.

18. Atom

Atom New Member

Discouraged means nothing to people when 75% do it anyway. Maybe clearly listing active players involved with the faction to cannon fodder ratio on the faction's forum page could be a way for the community to self-govern this.

19. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

That could be nice. Maybe even another thread regarding fodder characters, if outright voiding them doesn't work out.

20. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

Maybe a ratio of players to fodder, like Atom kind of mentioned, of like 1:2 or 1:3, something reasonable, but still something to give the faction weight and allow people to die. Your faction has 5 members, youve got the members plus 10 to 15 fodder that arent really interacted with IC outside of throwing them in front of bullets. I dunno. It cant be too high though, as if you lose too many you cant go on. Mains or non-cannon fodder could be the last wave, or could be the person you use to do the special missions.

In the end, as of now its entirely up to the player to use their better judgement. *grimace*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.