1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

A little premature, but I have questions

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by fertile01, Apr 27, 2014.

1. fertile01

fertile01 New Member

Hi, I haven't applied to this server yet, but I've been very interested in joining since yesterday. The only reason I haven't applied yet is because this computer can barely run Starbound, much less play at a reasonable framerate. I ordered a new laptop a few days ago and it should be here within a couple weeks, at which point I'll apply right away.

The main reason I'm posting this is because I have a few questions in regards to building. From what I've gathered here is that if I'm given permission to build something I can just build it so long as it fits the location. What I'm wondering is: do we NEED to figure out how we can build it ICly? If I join the server for the first time and I need somewhere to live, if I get a plot to build can I just make it OOC and then say it was already there ICly? How am I supposed to make a house when my character only has a military background? I know there are ways to RP my way into a living space, like just renting an apartment or being an architect or hiring someone, but from what I've read just about anyone can build something.

One more question. how do we go about getting the materials? If it's a town made of wood that's an easy answer, but some cities are metropolitan and are made of metal panels and whatnot. Am I just supposed to find a dungeon and clean it out? I think I might've read that I can spawn building stuff in w/ the right server-friendly mods?

I've done roleplays before, but not extensively on the PC, so I don't quite know how this works and I would appreciate anyone that can answer.

(BTW I plan on being an Avian named Cygnus something)

2. Sen

Sen Guest

You don't need to build things IC'ly (although saying "oh, btw, I own a Death Star" is obviously a very bad idea). On the flip side, there's nothing wrong with building things IC'ly.

You can spawn materials in. Use my mod for that! :D

3. Pixel

Pixel Captain Amurica

Well first off, an early welcome if you do plan on joining this community.

And as for your question, there are factions and colonies, who already provide IC housing and living quarters and having to build your own home won't be a problem. Seeing as your character comes from a strict military background, you would most likely be living in a bunker somewhere, or even in a fleet of ships, if you choose to join a faction with militaristic features. Here in the server, we tend to consider building as OOC. As a result, building a colony can sprout up some OOC so players can effectively communicate with one another.

Also, here's the link to Sen's mod. It helps IMMENSELY with building. You can quote me on that.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/...mpatible-building-aid-and-item-spawner.77051/

If you have any more questions, feel free to post below.

4. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Only if you intend to build on an established colony.
    As Sen mentioned building is not required to be in character.

You can do this, yes. We ask people be responsible when deciding what sort of things a character should have access to.

As you touched on, there is always the ability to contract someone to build for you, renting inn/tavern/hotel rooms, or something as simple as pitching a campsite or living on your ship(If you have one ICly).
    We do permit item spawning through mods that only use vanilla assets. One of these being Sen's mod which he released for the community here. We are here to roleplay, not to grind materials. Some people want to build, and that is fine.

5. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

Btw: Apply now, just as a tip. Applications take a while.

6. fertile01

fertile01 New Member

Thanks for the replies. I just didn't want to apply now because it won't be for a couple weeks, and I didn't want to apply and not be on the server, because I think it would look like I'm inactive or something. If a couple weeks is what it usually takes to get accepted then I'll definitely apply now.

EDIT: I also noticed that people have different ships like warships and cool other designs. I believe some of them are on the planet and aren't "actually" someones ship that they beam up to. I know there is a mod that lets people break blocks on their ship and completely change it. Is that mod allowed?

#6 fertile01, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2014
  7. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star