1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

A breif guide to proper combat with non-ranged weapons

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Clockai Pyrosik, May 5, 2015.

1. Clockai Pyrosik

Clockai Pyrosik New Member

Alright, I've noticed far too many people rushing madly into combat with swords raised high like they ride horses of iron like I once did.
    That is not how one fights with a blade. That is not even the correct way to fight with a warhammer.

Edge Alignment and why it's important

First off, a common mistake I see is people using their blades in entirely the wrong way. One does NOT simply swing a sword! In order to properly use your weapon of choice, you must commit to making proper edge-alignment. If you do not, your blows will be either glances or ineffective slaps with the flat of your blade. One must always make sure the cutting edge is in the direction of the swing, and not just in the general direction. Imagine you're trying to dig into the side of a wet, slippery hillside with your blade and if you do not allow the sharp end to catch, you will tumble down. That is what will happen if you fail to make proper edge alignment in your strokes. It's not difficult, it requires simple focus and attention.

Proper use of the knife/dagger
    When making use of the short blade formally referred to as a dagger, make sure your blade is optimal for the thrust but not lacking within the slice, for the thrust is the primary attack, whereas the slice is the rich secondary that one does when attempting to parry, grapple, or throw. The attack one must use with the knife is a quick thrust and a quicker recovery. If you wish to end your opposite rightly, or as a USCM soldier would put it, 'fuck them up real good', look no further than the downwards thrust whilst holding the dagger in an icepick grip. HOWEVER, if you are to miss with your blade, be ready with another attack or a shield to repel the blow that is to come, for this style of swing is likely to get you dismantled if you cannot recover quickpace.
    If you wish to fight in a recoverable way, simply hold the dagger or knife upright and thrust with the weight of your whole self. Do not attempt to thrust into the defender, I've always found it much more sensible to thrust THROUGH them. However, your thrusts must be quick and nimble and have little to no telegraphing. If one finds themselves unable to move without telegraphing, then do not bother with being quick and nimble for you are dooomed to be killed in the fight lest you run. Put as much power into the thrust as possible and be ready to dodge.
    Another simple thing to do with a knife or dagger is to use it as a hook. Simply catch the offender in the back of the knee or ankle and grab a hold of their shoulder or wrist, and with all your force, give a pull or push, depending on what the situation requires. Such combat is depicted as below.
    [​IMG]
    Forgive the low-quality of the image, it was pulled from a book I took with me when I fled my homeworld.

Proper use of a one-handed sword
    Don't try to use one by itself. In this day and age, that is a fine way to parish like a pig in the slaughter. However, if one so chooses to use an arming sword, I recommend either a shield or pistol as a offweapon. Having not worked with pistols I do not know the logistics of aiming with a single hand, but it sounds easy enough. Your offweapon should never impend your main weapon. Your offweapon should be something sensible, such as a shield or buckler, or a powerful handgun in which case ignore the next statement, your offweapon should never be something you would use as your main weapon. Do not attempt to use an axe and a sword at the same time. Do not attempt to use a rifle or shotgun as your offweapon. Use something along the lines of a dagger if you insist on going for the offense.
    Unless you're very, very good at keeping track of multiple edges to align properly, it is nigh-impossible to use a set of cutting weapons together effectively. If you insist on using two cutting instruments together, I recommend putting both down and taking up a set of warhammers which will be covered later.
    If your sword is a single-edged blade, do not be afraid to use your other hand to support it in a block. This will most likely be impeded by one's offweapon, however. When using both hands, spread your arms along the full length of the blade. Do not put a hand near the hilt, you already have a pivot-point there. What you need is a secondary pivot-point near the tip of the blade to effectively make ones weapon imobile to any movement by itself. When performing a dual-handed block, allow the thumb and fingers to grip the blade. I will cover why that is not insane in a moment.
    I do not condone the idea of using a scabbard in combat due to my upbringing, but if one absolutely positively must defend themselves in this way, do not fear harming the scabbard. You will be able to replace it. You will not be able to replace yourself.
    If one wishes to use the blade in a thrusting manor, follow the same rules as applied with dagger combat, do not telegraph and be ready to block or retreat. I will not lie, it is easier to perform a thrust than it is to align the edge.

One-handed warhammer combat
    If one is using a warhammer, to block a swordblow do not attempt to throw up one's weapon in a guard. That will damage the wood the head of the hammer is mounted on. If you wield a fully-metal warhammer, do not be afraid to block with the handle then. Use the head of the hammer as a hook to quickly move the sword out of the way before closing in with the offweapon.
    Your pose should be kept reasonable. The warhammer should not be raised high above the head unless guarding or in a wind-up. Imagine the warhammer as a sword, that will keep you in the correct position.
    If one is using a set of warhammers, then think of one hammer as a shield and the other as a sword for your defense. I have not much experience in this field, I will not lie.

Half-swording
    [​IMG]
    (more will be added later, i'm too tired to cover properly)
    When the foe is in armor take hold of the blade of your sword and use the guard to strike as if you are using an axe. You are free to grapple with the guard if you so wish. When using a sword in this manor, the strikes are referred to not as cuts or strikes but as 'murderstrokes'. I do not recommend doing this unless you are fighting someone in metal armor and you have a very well-built sword, for this may break your blade in two. There is no practical point in doing this against an unarmored opponent. The edge of a sword is sharp for a reason.
    There is a variation of half-swording where one grabs ahold of both blade and hilt and aims thrusts with much more precision into the gaps of ones armor. I have not confirmed this, but from my experiance against cheap leather 'armor' and Gambesons, this could potentially be best for penetrating the current time's equivalent, Kevlar. I have heard this referred to as 'aiming the point', but I do not know if that is the proper name for this.
    Do not be afraid of getting a cut. If you hold the sword firmly while wearing gloves you will not even feel the edge of the blade. As long as you are not letting the blade slide along your hand you will not be cut.
    I would only recommend doing this when you're facing off against one enemy and your offweapon will not help you end them. In fact, I cannot think of a time to do this other than a one-on-one with another swordsman in armor.
    Does not apply if one has a sword that causes damage upon touch, like an electrified blade.

Should I use an one-handed warhammer or a sword?
    A sword is far more versatile than a warhammer and if one is smart can even be used as such, but if one dosn't have the time to properly train or simply can't align edges, a warhammer OF APPROPRIATE SIZE will do fine.
    DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE A HUMAN 'SLEDGE' HAMMER FOR THIS PURPOSE. IT IS FAR TO HEAVY TO BE USED IN A CORRECT WAY.

The art of the twohanded sword
    ...Will not be covered here, for one will most likely be dead by the time they draw their blade if they intend on using a two-handed sword.
    Unless one is very, VERY good of course, but in which-case you do not need this guide.

~Francis Tollivor

#1 Clockai Pyrosik, May 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2015
  2. Clockai Pyrosik

Before responding to tell me incorrectly how wrong I am, please keep in mind this guide was a general guide.
    Half-swording will not work with most Hylotl weaponry.
    ~Francis Tollivor

#2 Clockai Pyrosik, May 5, 2015
  3. Solour

Solour a dad

((this is impressive))
    people are STILL using melee weapons? For CQC I can understand, but.. This is ridiculous.

-B.B.

#3 Solour, May 5, 2015
  4. Rezima

Rezima New Member

This has been very informative, you are providing a public service, friend,

-Illiam Thranis

5. Clockai Pyrosik

You are very welcome. I am just attempting to share my knowledge.
    ~Francis Tollivor