1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

[3/5/14] Server Update

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Kazyyk, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Heya, everyone.

So I recently did some server maintenance and made a few changes. Here are those changes.
    • Server now soft-reboots, which should stop any minor rollbacks after restarts.
    • Server will check if a soft-reboot fails, and perform a hard-reboot if needed.
    • Backups are taken after every server restart, not including crashes.
    • Server will now only come online after a backup has finished.
    • Backups will no longer be corrupted.
    • Worlds that haven't been visited in one week will automatically be deleted.
    Now to cover them in detail.
    Since sometimes the server restarts would cause minor rollbacks, I changed it so that the server restarts softly. However, if for whatever reason the soft signal doesn't stop the server, it will do it by force.

Previously, backups were taken while the server was online. It was recently discovered that doing this results in bad or corrupted backups, so now after every restart the server will wait until the backup is finished before coming online. This may result in longer pauses between restarts, but is necessary to keep backups valid.

That said, all previous backups are pretty much toast. So for those who have had their colonies wiped, you'll have to rebuild. Rest assured that the new backup system has been tested and works great.

Last but not least, to reduce stain on the server I've set it up so that any world that hasn't been visited in a week will get deleted. This is to help reduce the Universe size and to make backups smaller. If you go on vacation and fear for your world, please let me know so I can get a special backup of it.

That's all for this update.
    As always, if you have any questions, feel free to post below.
    Thanks.