1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Armor and Damage in PvP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ziggy, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

So with a little science, Luke (Lukin Vernswick) and I were able to deduce that top-tier armors will grant you 240-350 armor rating. Top tier non-randomly generated melee weapons (except the hammer, the hammer is a cheat) will take more than one hit to kill an enemy, with the impervium melee weapons doing base damages of 364-892 (except the hammer, the hammer is a cheat). I don't have to explain to you that the smaller, one-handed weapons do less damage. Ballistics weapons fall into the same category. As it stands, a weapon that does a base damage of anywhere from 400 to 800 damage would probably be a fair weapon to use in combat, depending on its swing speed/fire rate, with SMGs and daggers being at the low end, and SLOW FIRING rifles, bows, and revolvers being somewhere at the top for balance issues. I don't quite fully understand how armor soaks up damage, but if you're willing to put in a little time for the sake of science, inbox me a message and we'll run some tests. Purely for science of course.

The main thing I want you to take away from this is that if you're planning to PvP with someone, you should agree to use equipment that's not twinked to do 88958 damage and use 1 energy, rather stick with non-RGenerated crafted equipment. Modding equipment is useful and kinda fun, just keep it reasonable if you're planning to use it in PvP.

((edited as necessary))

2. Fiery Wither Rose

Fiery Wither Rose TheOneMute

Cool story, but you realize PvP in the sense you're talking about has nothing to do with roleplay, and is purely for fucking about OOCly. So this really does nothing useful, no offense.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

It's helpful information, whether you choose to use it in roleplay or not. Thank you for your input, regardless.

4. Solour

Solour a dad

Yeah, Remember the rule IG=\=IC

5. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

While combat rules are slim, and we have no required structured combat, using the game's mechanics may not be the best way to do it. However, if that is the way you WISH to do it, you are free to, as long as both parties are fully consenting, and take into account their items.

There are, however, other issues. There is a general... ah... hatred for the specific element that is 'impervium', and even 'violium'. Probably 'Cerulium' too, because seriously? Cerulean is a vomit color. But players will likely give you a hard time for using higher-end elements, despite there not really being any solid understanding of them or rules barring their use beyond powergaming and resource management clauses.

Note, though, that there are other issues with using the game's mechanics for PVP. Beaming is a game mechanic, techs are game mechanics, 2D is a game mechanic, the character being one big, universal hitbox is an in-game mechanic. I am not discouraging your idea, I am just recommending you stay mindful of the limitations that the game imposes on roleplay.

6. John_McFakename

John_McFakename New Member

There's a general indecisiveness about whether folks want a ruleset with dice/number-crunching (such as the arena rulesets I worked on for Taranis Arena) or just "gritty" "realism" (I refuse to not surround them in quotation-marks).

Personally, sticking to automatic-crossbows and thick titanium/durasteel greatshields.
    Armour might as well not exist since it always leads to arguments on what it's capable of enduring, especially with the lack of set-in-stone rules to refer to in an argument.
    Melee-weapons are only viable in the miraculous situation when an opponent doesn't carry a gun or is out of ammo (let's face it, it never happens).

7. Fiery Wither Rose

Fiery Wither Rose TheOneMute

"Realism"

View attachment 3443

Attached Files:

8. Reconus

Reconus Moderator
    Staff Member

Sadly true, and I am disappointed for such. An entire weapon class useless.
    Hence why melee weapons should be scarier really. If people are going to be hard to get to, then melee combatants should be able to do more damage anyway. Think of Warhammer 40k - Most of its ranged combat, but as soon as someone gets anywhere near you with a bloody chain-axe you know its gone to shit.

However in this analogy everyone is Tau so good luck getting anywhere near.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

I appreciate the more civilized feedback, thank you all for your input. I've seen a lot of talky-rps about what's happening, and those kinds of situations seem to take a long time. Server crashes and restarts just lengthen the process. I just wanted to offer an alternative solution to standing around and chatting to the people who like to get up and move, jump around, and flail wildly at each other. It is exciting having some element of not knowing whether you're about to take a hot plasma bolt to the face. I would agree that the armor isn't very pretty to look at, but hey, that's what vanity items are for.

10. Destroyer713

Destroyer713 New Member

Screw "Gritty" "Realism", I just wanna be able to smack a guy with a sword if I want to and not insta-die while trying so! D:

Doesn't help that unless you're wearing Kevlar, you're screwed against anyone with a gun...

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

Well, that's kinda the reason I wanted to engage the science, in case people wanted to do some IG, IC combat. It'd be useful to know what does what against what else.

12. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

Again, the intrinsic mindset behind combat is to win. Every. Time. It doesn't matter who it's with, or what each side claims. Even groups that 'take their hits' tend to play to win when it comes to combat. This is why combat takes so long. This is why, when shots are actually fired, or people actually stabbed at, things often break down into an OOC debacle. This is why people try so hard to force death on other people, when it isn't necessary, and often times, isn't in character for them. At the same time, they will do everything in their power not to have any injury, no matter how slight, forced on them.

And injuries themselves are often viewed as a chance to just improve themselves. A missing leg gets a rocket boost boot cybernetic replacement. A missing arm gets a cybernetic replacement with wrist mounted shotguns. Etc.

We have cultivated an environment where people don't want to die but want to kill other people. Where the 'ironically' edgy people are actually just edgy people being jerks. Where people don't care to face the consequences of their actions, short term or long term. They want instant gratification. Where the people who 'take their hits' only take them if they can dish out as much damage.

Would a dice system solve this? Probably. But the issue with a strict dice system is that it is random. And while this is good if your in a competitive environment (like the one we've created), it shouldn't be necessary. We should be capable of collaborating and cooperating, not competing. There should be some courtesy and common decency between players, particularly if those players are partaking in combat or hostile action.

Instead, we have slavers ignoring their injuries and taking 5-10 people a day. We have bandits executing people while powergaming through injuries. We have people resorting to 'dodging bullets' and never reloading because they are desperately trying both not to die, and to get a hit in.

Worst, we have people peer pressuring consent onto other people.

The main issue I have with this proposed system is that it reinforces competing in combat, like a dice system would.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

That's why it's important to work out what rules are enforced before an encounter begins. IG death doesn't have to equal IC death. It just means they lost the encounter, even non-fatally, such as in the event of a duel. It'd be easy enough for people to get together on a ship or planet, distribute similar equipment (thanks to mods), beam to their arena of choice, party up, and begin the engagement. When one team is defeated, they can work out the implications of that loss. PvP doesn't have to end in death or humiliation. It's up to those involved to work out the scenario beforehand. Both sides.
    Edit: Also, about the rocket boost replacement limb type scenario, yeah. that sounds kinda iffy. I agree with you there. But I'd also like to point out that it is exactly nothing to someone to just add that to their backstory without having RPed any kind of battle IC.

14. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

The specific point I was trying to make is that people feel killing is necessary in the first place because people don't get injured. They either shrug off injuries and go on with life, or actually recover from the r injury by making themselves more badass than before.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

Fair enough. It's just a shame to see so many people with edgy af characters but no way to back it up, since nobody wants to fight to the death or make compromise. Being nice with everyone's getting rather boring.

16. Raideck

Raideck Member

Go play call of battlefield honor warfare.

Nah but seriously conflict doesn't have to be gun shootouts or anything involving immediate death. It can be political debates or trading. Just some suggestions.

17. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

But there will always be guns and swords. That's an intrinsic part of the universe, whether by its nature or because we as a community have made it that way. If your character boasts about 'killing fourtentybojillion minknogs', then they SHOULD at least be able to try and back that up. Unless they're retired.

Point is, armed conflicts a thing. Even the 'ironically' edgy people resort to armed conflict. As I've said, though, I prefer systems where the result of that conflict can be guided. The issue with this is that everyone wants to guide it to their victory.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

Personally I prefer bows for PvP instead of pixellated guns with a million attachments. It's been 4 years since I played a CoD game. Fuck that series. Back on topic, I'm offering the information for anyone who DOES have interest in an actual fight, IC or OOC. As for your comment about 'immediate death', please read the rest of my comments on the matter.

19. Eleven

Eleven Mädchen in Uniform

I gotta say
    [​IMG]

20. Aegis Ebonwing

Aegis Ebonwing New Member

The problem with complex systems (being a person who have used such), is that it is prone to power gaming and is not really balanced.. and leaving it up to players to go by 'what they roleplayed' is also subject to bias.

The closest you are ever going to get to a balanced system? A single d20 roll off between two people.. higher roll wins, three hits to whatever happens.. so let's hope you use that rocket launcher to finish them off, right?