1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

To clear some things up about the universe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fertile01, Feb 17, 2015.

1. fertile01

fertile01 New Member

I know the lore and stuff are largely up to the players to decide, so I was just wondering what everyone has generally gone with on a couple things:

1. How does beaming up work? I've noticed people need beamcodes, but have people gotten beamcodes to a planet and beamed straight to the planet (as in beam home)? Can you beam up to your ship anywhere on the planet? I've noticed people tend to head back to the center of the planet to beam back up, regardless of whether or not a teleporter thing is there (As in like, the center of the planet is where their ship is hovering over?)
    2. What happened to the old system? Again, I know that the players are supposed to decide that, but I wanna know what everyone HAS decided. What have you guys told people about Tetanus Fields fate, or Honeydew Priors? As easy as it is to make the new character that's never been to any of these systems and can learn about them as they go, my character was born in Honeydew Prior, and lived on Tetanus Fields, so I kinda wanna know a little about what happened to them that's canon.

Honestly, asking this feels a little uneccessary, and I'm down with just wingin' it, but I'm hella bored and I feel like makin' a presence on the forums, so I figure why not?

2. Doc

Doc Video Game Extraordinaire

Um. If your character was born on Honeydew Prior and lived on Tetanus Fields, he would only be about a year old. Those colonies were actually build and played in ICly. The Historical section isn't lore, so much as history of Antares as a server.

3. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Well, the Historical section is made up of factions and colonies that have all existed IC as player colonies over the past year. They popped up and died off, but they haven't existed in lore for years. Months, maybe, but not quite years.

As for teleporting, the general consensus is that, without the beam pad, beaming up takes several minutes. This prevents beaming away during conflict to avoid facing any consequences, which has been an issue in the past, and gives a reason for a colony to have a beam pad.

#3 Angre, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2015
  4. fertile01

fertile01 New Member

Gotcha, but I know they popped up and dissappeared, but that was for reasons of players getting inactive and updates etc; I wouldn't think an entire colony would disappear after a few months. I know you say otherwise, but then again, how long has this server been around? Surely not a lifetime for a character to have lived in a player-made colony and lived there their entire lives.

5. Smokestack

Smokestack Bird man with a bird plan

I would like to think that many years past in general for the colonies which eventually cleared them up. Characters that left can decide their own fate seeing as how years work differently everywhere you go and light travels differently and the whole FTL thing. ((blabla Interstellar)) This in turn lets a player decide how long they've been gone.
    I'm no science guy. I'm waiting for toad.

6. Doc

Well in-character, Honeydew Prior and Tetanus Fields only lasted for a few months, and then were abandoned and are ICly ghost towns/just plain empty now.

7. fertile01

fertile01 New Member

Alright, so it looks like I need to retroactively change my birthplace. What about the beaming thingy? Is beaming possible straight to the outpost or to home?

8. Doc

Well beaming you can only do from your ship, or outside on a planet. So you need to be hovering above a colony's planet to beam to it. For the outpost you need to use those ancient gates in every star system.

9. fertile01

fertile01 New Member

Okay, that's what I thought. Just wanted to know if I could beam home from anywhere.

10. Doc

Yeah, only when you're outside and above ground on a planet. You need to use the weird beam panel thing to go to and from the outpost.

11. fertile01

fertile01 New Member

Alrighty, thanks for that much. I think that's all I needed to know.