1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Butterfly Rescue and Research

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Eki, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Eki

Eki New Member

Statement. I am Elo, a Glitch Bard with special interest in butterflies. I am looking to rescue any injured butterflies that may be found, as well as research the unique individual traits of each variant. Request. I would ask that if you find any butterflies, you might notify me so I might collect them and bring them to safety. Conclusion. Thank you for your time.
    - Elo (01000010 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110100)
    Addendum. Any assistance in this endeavour would be greatly appreciated - if you wish to join the Butterfly Rescue and Research department, contact me for more details.

2. DeltaV

DeltaV New Member

3. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

Chastising: The creatures of nature should not be held in captivity. You would be best to leave them at peace in their habitats than draw them away to strange, lonely worlds, trapped. Regretful: Injury is the way of nature. Some flourish and survive. Others succumb to the elements and become food for their predators.

Final: That is the way of nature.

-Tetra, Druid Seeker

4. Eki

Eki New Member

Righteous. Am I meant to leave these creatures to die? Stubborn. If I am able to help any injured being, then I shall. Whether the smallest, most insignificant butterfly or a sentient being, I will not stand by and watch anything suffer unnecessarily. Final. I appreciate your input, but you will not sway my conclusion on this matter.
    - Elo (01000010 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110100)

5. OptionalFingers

OptionalFingers New Member

I feel like this thread could use some of my help.

Butterflies (and most small insects in general) are very, very frail. They can get hurt quite easily, and they can only live in very specific habitats. If you're planning on rescuing butterflies (which is a very noble, yet nearly impossible task), you shouldn't catch them and take them off their home planet. Instead, I recommend making a little base on the planet where you care for them.

~ Zoya Capuchin

6. TheAngryMelon

TheAngryMelon The most furious fruit

Nah, individual bases would be a little hard to work with.
    Why don't you try makin' an imitation of the place they live in?
    Or used to live in, whatever. Butterfly Gardens are still a thing, right?

- Bruce

7. OptionalFingers

A butterfly garden might work, as long as you make sure the butterflies all eat the same things. These are creatures from all over the sector we're talking about.

~ Zoya Capuchin

8. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Nobody tell this person about the life cycle of a fruitfly or the mating habits of things like those praying mantis, it may break their heart.

Whoops.

-B00mb1rd

9. OptionalFingers

And of course there's that. If you're planning on working with insects, you should also keep their lifespan and eating habits in mind. There's just so much that causes a butterfly to die, it's really hard to take care of them. I think it's really kind of you (and pretty adorable) that you put so much care into helping other creatures, but perhaps you should focus on the creatures who actually need help.

~ Zoya Capuchin