1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Non-Glitch AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Felonious, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

So, people of Starbound. I know in the past there have been plenty of non-Glitch AI characters. Of course, there's also been the whole "I threaten to report your non-glitch as a custom race, because I don't like what you're doing with that character." thing that also happens fro time to time.

But are there actually any rules against playing a non-Glitch Artificial Intelligence/Robot? Just curious. If there aren't, what is the community opinion on such robits?

2. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Robots exist in the starbound universe.

I think robots/AI as intelligent as glitch/humans shouldn't really be a thing, since glitch are meant to have been built by a super advanced race. There have also been in lore attempts to replicate the glitch that have failed.

However drones and other non-sapient (Human level intelligence) robots are fine in my opinion, providing they are not overpowered and their origin makes sense,

3. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

I would enjoy these AI characters more if they actually adhered to the laws of robotics. That said, I don't really mind so long as that is not the defining characteristic of the character. What you are, your gender, race, sexuality, etc should never be the one note to a character.

4. Arcticil

Arcticil Toxic Top Soldier

We have FTL drives, star-ships, and other thing so it doesn't seem bad we'd have artificial intelligence. Modern-time we're already getting there, such as IBM's Watson and the likes.

5. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Puts the Coo in Cool

Intelligent machines, yes.
    indistinguishable-from-humans "androids" who have no real purpose/directives and can come back from the dead? No.

6. Arcticil

Arcticil Toxic Top Soldier

ahh right. i'm thinking more AI's that are imbedded in say a building and can control its functions, akin to a data serve. holographics within' a small range evne, maybe? i hate seeing ais in the middle of a bar though, as i wonder why they're there.

7. Theopholis

Theopholis New Member

I played Error@AI:~$ for a bit, who was a non-glitch, linux-based, artificial lifeform. He was fun, and other people seemed to enjoy (at least sometimes) interpreting his console command based speech patterns, and repairing all the damage to him when he was found.

I expecienced no OOC opposition to the character.

8. Kirby teh Pink

Mm. I have no problems with an AI character who functions in a machine-like way. It's when we've got freeform AIs that function near-identical to humans is when it gets silly.

9. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

*freeform module uploaded* Only crew member is the captain. All other laws are to be disregarded.
    [​IMG]

10. Kirby teh Pink

T
    Science team gonna mess you up.

Unless the engineers are competent, but when does that ever happen?

11. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

Do they even set up the engine anymore? Robotics is just sitting there pumping out sec borgs while the engineers give them all their glass and metal. Shitcurity filled the brig, HoS suicided, ;the captain's a condom! hueguebjhdgjfskjk!, AND MOST OF ALL, THE CLOWNS ARE BEGINNING A REV ROUND FILLED WITH SYNDICATE HONK AGENTS, CHANGECLOWNS, AND H.O.N.KS. EDGE MADE.

12. Tacoburger

Tacoburger professional taco burger

PRIORITY ANNOUNCEMENT

HONK!

13. Solour

Solour a dad

14. WrongEndoftheRainbow

WrongEndoftheRainbow Leprechaun Not Found

I've tried that before. Doesn't work as well as it sounds, especially when the Starbound community isn't as good as the SS13 community at making laws. Even the tiniest amount of laws lawyering makes Starbound player's laws fall apart. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.