1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Miniknog Nanobot Experimentation

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by Jaalte, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Jaalte

Jaalte New Member

Me and some others were discussing potential RP ideas earlier, and with that we realized that on Antares there is no use of nanobots. After some discussion it seemed that this was because they would cause powergaming, although after some thought, we realized that nanobots would have a plethora of downsides; likely far more than enough to balance out the benefits.

To prototype this in the field we are planning on roleplaying a Miniknog-controlled laboratory, and developing nanobot-related technology, which would at first be incredibly simple, but with success would lead to more advanced, and potentially more useful (or harmful) nanobots.

Proposed Uses:
    - Blood clot speed improvement
    - Metabolic enhancement
    - Using specialized enzymes to digest numerous poisons
    - Passively improve strength and vitality of muscles
    Proposed Issues:
    - The immune system
    - Powering nanobots
    - Bot Size (And function loss for less size)

Every function would have their own issues, and their own problems if they should fail, while the universal detriments will permeate all functions.

What do you think?

If you can think of any other uses of nanobots, and other problems with them that can't be overcome with the technology of the period, please mention them.

#1 Jaalte, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
  2. Sen

Sen Guest

no miniknog allowed

3. Day Tripper

Day Tripper miller ball breaker

[​IMG]

Nanomachines, son.

4. Jaalte

Jaalte New Member

Would that actually happen to be a rule, or is the higher-chance possibility that you're just saying that valid?

5. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

There is a huge anti-lore faction movement going on by the staff do to the misuse of power by some players. I suppose you could argue the point, but restrictions on factions are strict enough right now to bury it fast. There was considerable interest in the Miniknog back in the day, and individual agents aren't prohibited. Just expect a lot of "Where'd you get the resources. You can't get them from the actual Miniknog, tha's cheating." from both players and staff.

The idea itself poses some interesting challenges/boons. Increased blood clotting could effect blood pressure and even cause death if it is too active, what with the 'blood clotting' part. Muscle vitality could cause damage or dependence after prolonged use, that kind of thing. Try to make it somewhat controlled, so that it doesn't become the next super potion.

6. DeltaV

DeltaV New Member

I vote no on this idea, because I guarantee at least one person will say that nanobots will make him invincible to everything and able to lift thousand-pound weights.

7. Day Tripper

Shit like that happens no matter where you go. Join a medieval RP server, some asshat says his steel plate makes him impervious to any and all weapons. Join a Fallout RP server and some douche in APA stomps around like the edgy Enclave douche he is and spews at the mouth about being impervious to damage.

The fact of the matter is, people don't like weakness, and each and every one of us commits this kind of sin in some form or another.

#7 Day Tripper, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2014
  8. DeltaV

DeltaV New Member

It still doesn't change that giving people /more/ opportunities to be like that is generally a bad thing.

9. Day Tripper

We are on the same page. I was merely pointing out that it is inevitable that some complete fucking tool will decide to pull a magical, over-powered item out of nowhere. Even reducing the opportunities for said mentally deficient whelp to do so won't stop it from happening completely.

10. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Nanobots have actually been used on the server already, so no real need to develop it as brand new tech all on its own. People have used it terrible, and some have used it decently in moderation. As long as it is used resonsively it could be used as a decent way to develop roleplay as can most ideas often squashed by the community at large. My suggestion to you is to contact the staff before delving to deep into this icly to make sure any concerns are addressed upfront. Other then that, have fun with it.

11. Jaalte

Jaalte New Member

Well this is hardly true considering the two biggest limiters.
    1) Technology has its limits.
    2) Nobody on this end is irresponsible enough to allow something like that to happen. We've been very careful about this, and actually it is the biggest reason we even brought this up on RP planning.
    3) These nanobots won't be given to just anyone. The majority of people to receive these would be the test subjects, and in their case the early nanobots are more harm than good. Past there, they would be ridiculously expensive, naturally.

Alright, here's some of the feedback I was looking for. This would probably work better if we tied this research back to an older project, which we had abandoned and put on hold not too long ago. It is a mercantile organization, trading in things that are legal or otherwise, as long as they would turn profit. Anyways, we had enough income when we were active to get plenty of spare change to throw around into various parts of the company, and I suppose an R&D lab for this could be done along the rest easily (hell, there is already one built).

In addition, you mentioned some good pros and cons of this technology. Even before I had started this thread I already had a good list of uses, and the problems that they may cause. Believe me, there are far more than plenty, and factoring in the technology of the time period, the nanobots are put into a state of 'barely possible,' but possible nonetheless. Because of this the initial trials will almost undoubtedly be miserable failures, and trials past that do more harm than good until a balance is finally made.

12. Sen

Sen Guest

organizations not allowed

its "cheating" and "ass-pulling"

only edgelords with guns who are dirt poor but somehow have firearms are permitted

13. Solour

Solour a dad

14. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

15. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Try to stay on topic, guys.