1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Antares 1-year anniversary!

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Kazyyk, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

I never said it should be a player character running the faction. Any average player is capable of running a faction through a subforum only, without any need for an actual player character in charge. Besides, there always needs to be some form of actual superior to lead the newer faction members. Well, in my opinion, at least.

2. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

If they can even get a sub forum up.

3. Weavle105

Weavle105 Back in Black.

[​IMG]
    Yeeeee, happy birthday Antares.

4. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

Lore development is great. Although it is something that should probably probe the community. For instance: find people who are logically critical and passionate about different parts of the lore. Try to make sure they don't go overboard and make their faction the uber bestest. That said, community collaboration is the fastest way to develop the most.

P.S. Yay. One whole yaaaar.

5. Narfball

Narfball narfball

happy birthday ilu antareyes dont poot yerself <69

also i like lore but i think felonious was pretty spot-on with his thing, so. :^)

6. Pixel

Pixel Captain Amurica

The new updates look great. Happy anniversary!

7. Sammy McHammyDoodle

Sammy McHammyDoodle New Member

[​IMG]

8. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

I think server lore should work like this:

1. Lorebooks
    2. Item descriptions(some of these are jokes, but not the one that explains Glitch need food to charge their internal battery, I asked Demanrisu on the Nightly feedback IRC, he's a lore writer for Starbound.)
    3. Online "canon" resources: introduction posts for certain races; i.e. meet the Glitch, Novakid! And the old monthly newsletters. (Perhaps bugging the lore writers with questions.)
    4. Filling in the blanks with what sounds reasonable within the Starbound universe and update the "uncertainties" when new lore becomes availble or when there is new content discovered from pre-existing sources that were accidentally overlooked.
    5. Community input: pre-existing server lore.(So things like Floran regen are like
    .. Bottom tier lore-credibilitywise, and probably one of the things that should not be in there.)

I do not wish to brag, but my "papers" on the Floran and Glitch physiology are pretty... Accurate? Though i should perhaps revisit the Floran one. (And get rid of the regeneration part, it's just that at the time everyone around me accepted that as server canon, although there is little basis for it.)

Edit: another thing to take into account ofcourse is BALANCE: on individuals, factions and the whole dang universe.
    As Felonious said: some ppl are passionate about certain parts of the lore, like the incarcerus notes that imply Florans are the best melee/primitive combat race and pretty much "strongest there is" (hulk reference, cuz green and... Savage) or at least stronger than Apex who are considered to be fairly strong in general, compared to other humanoid races.

Only things exempt from balance are: staff faction thing on the outpost and antagonistic enemy mini-factions that are just there to have smt to shoot at, but don't rly have any major impact.

#28 Khaltor, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Eleven

Eleven Mädchen in Uniform

One year passed quickly:)

10. meanwhile

meanwhile drunk cyberpunk catgirl

Two days and it'll be my one year anniversary on the server.

11. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Wow, I knew I joined the server early, but I never realised it was just 2 days after it started.

12. Xeni

Xeni New Member

Although I've only been on the server for a few days, now, it's nice knowing I could be here for the first anniversary of hopefully many. Happy Birthday, server!

Lore? Heck yes! As long as it's subtle and ties into the vanilla canon, I think that'd be a ton of fun to develop together as a community.

#32 Xeni, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  13. Redwilt

Redwilt Washed up has been

Lore yes: but make it according to the big winter update about to come out in January

14. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I want to point out that I said "setting" lore, as in where the roleplay takes place. Location.

15. Atom

Atom New Member

We could build NPC faction hubs owned by the major factions. Similar to the Gate Outpost. We will be able to put locks on planets so they won't get greifed or have players build on them. If players wanted to join the faction they could create a separate colony in that system.

16. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

There's not a high enough population to manage this at the moment. We max out at 30-45 players on weekends. This doesn't leave a lot of maneuverability on the part of the people. Its the reason colonies and factions go in and out of season. We have enough people for maybe two major factions at a time, and those are unlikely to last for very long. At the height of the server there were three in power, and those were the Second Holy Fleet, the Knight's Order and the USCM. With the Rez. Armada and the Wolve's Den taking up powerful spots at other times.

Unfortunately, population is the main issue with organization on the server.

17. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

You have to keep in mind, once the update comes out, it's very likely the server's population will skyrocket. Now, I'm not saying it's a sure thing, but it's very possible it will bring an influx of players, new and old.

18. Atom

Atom New Member

There is no need to have someone manage the NPC colonies. You clearly state the NPC colonies protocols on the forum so it can self-manage itself. If someone wants to attack an NPC colony IC they could bring it to a moderator with a solid IC reason. It should not happen often.

Limiting NPCs in Antares just feels strange and empty. They don't need to be actively interacting with characters. It just takes a bit of imagination and common sense.

19. Phoenix

Phoenix the one and only

HAPPY BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY~

20. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I have plans for the lore which I'll present to the community once they're ready.