1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Starting a random colony from scratch with no i like cheating mod

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by Chimpowitz, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Shag

Shag High Impact Sexual Implications

I'd join if more people chipped in.

2. Chimpowitz

Chimpowitz New Member

Great.
    I have two others, who have sent me private messages to join.
    Just make your character, message me when done, and ill invite you to a party. Ill give you enough fule to get to the planet, and then your uniform once there done.

Ill post the coordinates later this afternoon.

3. TinyKiwi

TinyKiwi New Member

I think this is a really awesome idea. It's not endangering anyone else's RP and it's just a different roleplay style than what is the norm here. Using the game mechanics to roleplay is how I generally RP anyway in games like this.
    I was one of the ones that send a PM to join, so I'll be joining in!

4. Chimpowitz

Chimpowitz New Member

Also i just got a message asking me about if we can be other races, and this is what i said.
    Its cool to have whatever race you want, this was a prison that they captured aliens, alike using them as test subject, or to extract information.
    Most humans were exposed to a virus that made 9/10 humans insane - hence our escape.
    There can be former prison guards (Have to be human) only 3 because 3 really couldn't handle an entire prison. an there can be other human characters who were immune.

5. Chimpowitz

Chimpowitz New Member

So im starting right now as of this moment anyone who wants to join msg me, and those who have just say in the galaxy chat that your on, so i can give you the fule you need to get here

6. Destroyer713

Destroyer713 New Member

This makes me wonder what's going to happen when this group reaches higher tier items, since the community in general tends to have a problem with people having full Impervium armor and all.

At least I thought that was the case. Don't murder me if I'm wrong. ._.

7. Jnick22

Jnick22 New Member

Yeah, true... I think that we would have to accept this as a place of impervium. So People could legitly get impervium. For RP. Legitimate Impervium. My gourd.

8. Chimpowitz

Chimpowitz New Member

I think it would be worth it, but i dbuout we would make it that far...

9. GuardianPotato

GuardianPotato New Member

The X-Sector mobs are fucking dangerous if you're using vanilla only shit.

10. Chimpowitz

Chimpowitz New Member

Yep, Not all of us will be fighter, and own anything that comes into our path, and we could trade for items, like custom guns, just would have to have a real way of paying for it.

11. The Big Bad Wolf

Or for rp shake just every new armor tier you get after dura steel just rp that you've upgraded your current dura steel armors rather then claiming you found impervium gear.

Mind you if this groups makes it that far on strictly game mechanics/rp alone, perhaps they deserve to hit a jackpot of rubium or impervium.

Whether we like to admit it or not, the shit exists.

12. Chimpowitz

Chimpowitz New Member

Lol well i need more to join, i got everything set up, but i guess allot of others are afraid to do this.

13. Atom

Atom New Member

After the update I will join you playing without cheats. For now I'm playing the nightly build. No reason to sink time into building stuff when it is so close to being wiped from the update.

14. Chimpowitz

Chimpowitz New Member

Yah, was thinking though, do you think start cheat would work after the new update?

15. Atom

Atom New Member

I'm sure the cheat/mod will need a update. All the new items would have to be added to the mod I guess.

16. Chimpowitz

Chimpowitz New Member

Mostly you start a new character, i add you to a party, give you just enough fuel to get to the planet, give you your jumpsuit (Or riot armor if your one of the few human guards left), then warp you onto the planet. You start off only with your starting items and one personal. The prison was overthrown, 9/10 humans went insane by a virus on the planet (How we escaped), and then the story develops from there.

17. Sen

Sen Guest

Only if the old Alioth chat asks for it.

18. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

I have a few issues with this, honestly. It's a neat idea, but how do you explain your characters being capable of constructing such things? For example, once you reach the robot boss (Whatever his name is), you'd have to have someone who is capable of building a droid from scratch. You would also need a mine for resources, someone with the knowledge of how to refine and shape ore, someone with programming experience, and a whole other mess of things.

My worry is that this colony is going over the heads of all those who worked IC and dealt with funding, explanation, recruitment, and various other sacrifices, and saying that the game mechanics are sound reasoning for it. Not to be too rude, but in my opinion, if this is your goal, then it'd be better to get a free play server together with some friends on the server and build up a colony there, since this idea conflicts rather heavily with the current rule-set and expectations of this server.

19. Atom

Atom New Member

Where in the short list of rules does it say anything about how we are supposed to acquire items IC? We don't have any sort of server wide lore section that makes sense of game mechanics that I could find in the forums. We have not made an explanation of where these items come from, we only void the process of getting them in the game (and some people IC too) by cheating them in. I'm not saying its wrong or right, only that it can be fun to role play the game for what it is, instead of fighting against it with realism.

If you expect Chimpowitz to explain this... Everyone should have to explain where they get ships, fuel, furniture, armor, guns, food, PDA, radio, paper, wood, glass, and everything else when they make a new character. Instead of worrying about a group of players not cheating maybe we should be dealing with the people that bring in a fully stocked armory and a death wish for a new character. The characters to come out of this playing without cheats will actually be afraid of danger because they have spent time getting what they have instead of instantly getting it from the start.

There is nothing wrong with using the medium of the game to role play. It can be more immersive and rewarding to just go with whats there rather than having to stop what your doing and make some super realistic explanation for every silly thing in the 2-D pixel game that isn't even finished. This game was not meant to be a ultra realistic role play experience. There are much better mediums for realistic role play out there if that's your thing. Forcing it on Starbound so harshly only makes it more confusing and boring.

The way we progress through sectors will be done away with soon and progression will make much more sense. I intend to make a miner/explorer character when the update hits and I won't be using the cheats. I think its a shame we have a moderator suggesting a group should go to another server simply because they want to role play without cheating. Please stay Chimpowitz, others will want to role play using Starbound mechanics without cheats very soon and it will be awesome.

#39 Atom, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2014
  20. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

While I do partially agree with what you've said here, I think that the issue is if this colony ends up growing much, much larger than any other colony that currently exists. Now, that normally wouldn't be an issue, and I'd actually welcome such a thing; However, that could result in problems, such as the question of how a small group of people managed to mine for resources and farm and hunt for food, as well as build a large number of buildings when previously they had all been either prisoners or guards at a prison colony. This is especially an issue if this group goes about that when, even though it does not happen OOCly, ICly other factions and colonies do have NPCs handle such things because normally, they could not handle it on their own.

Now, with that being said, I will say that I support this idea. But, I do ask that you keep in mind while doing it that, even though you are following IG mechanics, you should still take into consideration your characters' skill level with whatever task they may be performing. No one is good at everything, and few are good at most, failure is an option and while it does not mean this colony should fail, your characters should be allowed to make mistakes without dire consequences.