1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

I am ready.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Big Bad Wolf, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Physiology
    The most important part of a Novakid is the brand - the dense metal symbol situated in the middle of their face. The brand is responsible for metabolizing fuels and producing a magnetic field/membrane that defines the shape of the body, keeping the precious plasmas from dispersing. Breaking the "skin" results in plasma venting / bleed-out, which if left untended leads to fuel depletion and inevitably death.

The least important part of a Novakid is the corona - the hair-like emissions that emanate from the head. This serves no function other than to be pretty and impress other Novakid. It can be styled by running a low electric current through the Novakid’s brand.

Life Stages
    A new Novakid is born when its parents mix their plasma together in a high temperature, high pressure condition and enough elements fuse into denser materials that form a new brand. The new brand then claims the plasma mixture as its own and a protokid (which hardly resembles a mature Novakid) is born.
    View attachment 74146
    Towards the end of its life, the Novakid’s brand loses potency and the magnetic membrane grows weaker. The plasma is more loosely contained, and the elderly Novakid takes on a larger, duller appearance and a reddish hue (derogatory term: "red giants").
    View attachment 74147
    Novakid tend to explode violently when they die, so deathbeds are typically outdoors and at high elevations (with friends and family below). All that remains after a Novakid explosion is an inert chunk of smoldering metal that was once its brand.
    Bietol's race suggestion thread; which got approved due to a lot of community feedback.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/meet-the-novakid.16712/
    http://starbounder.org/Novakid
    The Novakids were introduced as a stretch goal reward for pre-order sales reaching $500,000. The race was a player suggestion by Bietol. His original proposal for the race can be found here. He credits Suika Ibuki with inspiring the race with his suggestion and art for the Anodynes race here. Novakid Forum Badge Both Bietol and Suika were awarded a custom forum badge for their work.

2. DeltaV

DeltaV New Member

Wonderful, so now we're going to have a bunch of novakid edgelords killing each other and exploding violently when they do die.

3. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Sounds like stuff that already happens here. I'm sure it will be fine.

4. OdinOnlineAlive

OdinOnlineAlive New Member

Sounds about right.

5. The Big Bad Wolf

It's human nature to be scared of change.

You'll all adjust just fine.

I wouldn't mind if they added a few more races after the Nova Kids to be honest.

The same can be said about the Glitch race. Robots and medieval are two subjects I would never have considered putting together. And yea I am well aware of the lore before someone (wiki's an explaination) brings it up. I don't mind the glitch race and I've rp'd atleast two of them thus far, but the idea took some getting use to.

We got fish samurais
    We got generic human(nothing special or unique really brought to the table)
    We got robot knights..
    We got Apex scientists
    We got Avian cultists/sky pirates
    We got floran caveplants
    And soon
    Cowboy Novakids.(I know cowboys are the primary theme but i swore i read somewhere that Nova Kids can be stuck in different eras of evolution. Ie Nova Knight, Nova Caveman, or whatever else. Ill have to find the source for it.)
    Perhaps, in the future we'll have furry(maybe foxs, dogs, cats?) Vikings
    or
    Maybe lizard Romans

Who knows rest assured if it happens people will QQ then too.

6. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Puts the Coo in Cool

Avian master race.

[​IMG]

There's being afraid of change, and there's criticizing crappy design.

7. Reconus

Reconus Moderator
    Staff Member

I see wat u did der

8. Atom

Atom New Member

I don't understand why Novakids have all the cowboy gear. No where in the little lore that is written about them does it explain this. It mostly speaks about how intelligent they are yet they have the attention span of a child. They don't carry on information from their predecessors very well, so they have to start from scratch with technology because none of them write anything down I guess.

http://playstarbound.com/stretch-goal-1-the-novakids/

My main concern is that people are going to take all the positive aspects of their intelligence and ignore the fact that they suffer from Alzheimers and Amnesia with some loose explanation. Similar to smart Florans that grow up as human pets running around in plant suits.

9. The Big Bad Wolf

[​IMG]
    Avian 2.0

10. The Big Bad Wolf

Meh its possible but like you said it has happened with florans already..

Server will adjust and deal with as it does before. But of course there will be many more threads like this first.

11. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

WW2 Salamanders?

12. OdinOnlineAlive

OdinOnlineAlive New Member

Middle Eastern Flatworms?

13. The Big Bad Wolf

Lol Earth worm jims! Yes!

14. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Puts the Coo in Cool

[​IMG]

15. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Reason for cowboy gear: current era/theme their race in general is obsessed with. Also the Novakid intellect is held back by that insanely low attention span, which should be a characteristic ALL Novakid share for the sake of in-lore canon balance, like how "most" Florans are stupid.

In the outpost you have 1 Floran scholar that speaks perfectly and asks: Were you too disgusted by the savageness of our race? Our people could achieve so much more! 1 Medium intel Floran (simple by human standards, with lisp and bad sentences.) And one pretty dim Floran that asks you to have full titanium armour in order to be allowed to go to their "party"
    When you get full titanium he's like "excellent, you will be worthy opp... Err honored guesst!" So that's three variants on Florans right there.

I'd also imagine Novakids are pretty vulnerable to any form of stabbing, shooting and especially explosions. Would explain why they have ranged starter weaps, because their race is not fit for melee combat, too dangerous. (Assumption)

16. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

And yes, the Floran scholar is wearing human/ more civilised clothing.

17. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

More info:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/...the-novakid-be-telepathic.85640/#post-2334658

Wow, I didn't expect this many people to respond. Even a Game Dev. Zebe said: ↑ They have no mouths, and aren't telepathic. Here: There is much information about the Novakid in the original suggestion page by Bietol. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/meet-the-novakid.16712/ There is a mention about the talking: So this is currently the most canon thing we have about it. Roycewhal said: ↑ ^This Universal translators are a thing, so their "speech" would be translated. I would find the humor of this game being that the people who made the translators humans have giving the Novakid a strong southwestern accent, because humans relate things to themselves. As for their actual food, being star-like, I figure; is most likely. Break down the food into fusion material. I'm more confused about their skin and body temperature, and their ability to wear clothing, so obviously my Novakid walks around like Dr. Manhattan cooltv27 said: ↑ ive heard the hard outer layer is resistant to heat, at least internally so unless affected by outside temperatures their skin would be normal (whatever normal is for novakids) You guys even managed to answer questions i haven't even thought of yet. And thanks Zebe for what is currently considered lore. GeorgeV said: ↑ They speak pretty normally. Think of a Wild West voice. Apply it to them. The question is quite easy. Just like how the Glitch eat. And thanks replying Dev. And that question was easy, since glitch were made by a ancient (WAIT! going back to this the outpost gate has a blank face) and advanced race, of course they can break down food into electricity, since the race was trying to simulate and track civilization they would have to make Famine a valid factor.

18. Solour

Solour a dad

[​IMG]
    Spaghetti westerns you say?

19. Day Tripper

Day Tripper miller ball breaker

ayyy lmao

I'm not the only loser that likes MGS