1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Concerns with the RA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by skipi, Nov 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Optimism

Optimism Guest

#Vote4Kirby

2. Hawke

Hawke ACK!

No one is forcing anyone to play with the USCM.

If they anger you enough that you feel the need to publicly shame folks, or that doing so will change anything, step back, take a deep breath, and maybe just ignore them in the future.

You are better than this, people.

3. Sen

Sen Guest

Their actions influence us all. For instance, when new people go to Port Last because it is the first planet they're recommended, THAT is the first impression they get of the server.

also hi hawke-senpai

4. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

Well, then help us better the impression of the colony. What can we do to improve it? Seriously, I'm all ears.

5. skipi

skipi New Member

heres some ideas

individual members take a hiatus to think about all the horrible cringeworthy things they've done
    dont obsess over and treasure your main and only characters as if they are your children
    dont pull resources out of your asses
    dont accept resources pulled out of someone else's ass
    stop playing obnoxious edgy tropes and just all around bad characters
    let your characters die because they are not the main characters and they should not have survived like they have so far
    disband
    stop rping

6. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

Two of us are actually doing this
    Ok
    We wont anymore
    Hard to know who does, but I'll try not to
    I try not to, can speak for everyone
    My character has not yet been put in a lethal situation
    Not yet
    No

7. John_McFakename

John_McFakename New Member

#207 John_McFakename, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
  8. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

9. Eleven

Eleven Mädchen in Uniform

Not everyone likes to play a disposable nutshell without back stories , and I remember still a rule that death is up to a player him/herself and shouldn't be forced. My character is eleven month almost a year old and I not going to let her die, because you say so. If You'd rp in a reasonable manner that my char dies, I wouldn't refuse to tag along and let her die however.

#209 Eleven, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
  10. skipi

skipi New Member

For a military faction, the RA seem to suffer very few fatal casualties. This is very telling to me, seeing how frequently they get into conflicts, and seem to disregard threats on the idea that "if it's not going to be an instant death, I'll survive the bleeding out and the difficult, finicky battlefield surgery." Furthermore, a character should not be willing to join any kind of military force if the player treasures them too much to let them go. Being a soldier is a dangerous job, and players should recognize the fact before participating, rather than using consent as a shield.

11. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

This would be a lot better received if it were said by someone else, to be honest, because Cass is a prime example of what I like to call "Main Character Syndrome," and if your attempt on making this thread was to solve the problem, being a little more constructive than "You suck, just leave" would probably be more sensible.

12. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

This was already discussed months ago.

Anyone remember community oppinion threads?

13. Leschinsky

Leschinsky Bohemic Tendencies

I personally invested alot of time and energy into helping this faction oh so long ago, and it's disheartening to see it fall into the same pitfalls time and time again.
    No one likes RPing Power Armor except the guy inside of it.
    No one likes RPing scanners, not even the guy running it.
    No one likes RPing conflict with faction(s) and character(s) that consistently come up on the forum blame game, who are associated with ugly words like power gaming, meta gaming, and consent abuse.

Saving the USCM/USAF/ODA was an exhausting, uphill battle that was a Pyrrhic victory resulting in blowing the whole thing up.
    Reviving the RA was a noble, and doubly as intensive effort, and is resulting in a Pyrrhic-explosion-victory (but much quieter).

The pseudo-space-US-military idea is old, tired, and more spent than a slippery silver dollar at a low-brow strip club.
    Space Marines are only interesting as faceless set pieces to get ripped apart by aliens/robots/Lovecraftian horrors, as an allegory for man's assuredness of his importance in the universal scale, and how devastatingly wrong that is.

The lifer characters in all these factions have all worn many different hats; the fresh faced marine, the disabled vet, the disturbed warrior, the seasoned captain, shrugging off more mental illness and bullets than the entirety of WW2 and half a Vietnam.

The same gaggle of folks changing banners and, genuinely trying their best to change and be better, but aren't very good at it.

The reason I bring all of this up, is; no idea. I've had an insider perspective for a little while, and not-so-professionally turned down running the faction by being absent both in-game and forums. Partly from real-life busting my door in with a sledgehammer, partly knowing the energy-vampire of a mess I'd be getting into again. (sorry Couch)

People on every conceivable side of the issue have made dumb decisions and dumber mistakes with the best of intentions; to have fun roleplay where no one is left sore.

I have no answers, no solutions, and am being a huge insulting waste of time.

14. Sammy McHammyDoodle

Sammy McHammyDoodle New Member

My personal concerns about the RA is the way they have metagamed, powergamed and abused consent of which all three occurances I have witnessed them happening.

Like everyone else I want to see change before I can trust all of you or rather, some of you, enough to want to roleplay with you again.
    I understand that this takes time and will in turn give you time.

This has been the reason why I have finally chosen not to return to Opportunity for a while, not only because it is a danger for my own character but also because it is boring and not at all fun to roleplay there because of some of the aforementioned things.

TL;DR:
    Step your game up, you should be able to do it.

That just seems to take very long and would be rather inefficient.

15. Cassidy

Cassidy The Strudel

Totally agree with you on that, Doubt Avians have fingerprints under those feathers, i believe it should just be an id card, i know "What if someone steals it" Well, Don't get it stolen, Conflict shouldn't be avoided, and as said with the old "USAF" Guys that i was in myself, i never agreed with the Gates, Scanners, and other things, i believe that conflict should be open and not avoided.

So yea, don't agree with that Guard, Most Xenos don't have Fingerprints (As far as i know, Don't quote me on that.) and it feels kinda "We dont want Conflict"-ey.

Tl;dr? Basically Lets just keep normal ID cards, let people have conflict, Conflict=Pretty fun if it is reasonable.

16. Sammy McHammyDoodle

Sammy McHammyDoodle New Member

Glitch; Metal.
    Apex; Fur, maybe, I don't know if Apes have skin or fur on their fingertips.
    Avian; Feathers in the way.
    Hylotl; Scales and slime.
    Floran; Weird plant bullshit.

17. OdinOnlineAlive

OdinOnlineAlive New Member

This server in a nutshell.

18. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

i like to erp

19. Eleven

Eleven Mädchen in Uniform

same should apply to you guys

20. King Tickle

King Tickle I hope it rains in this tunnel.

VOTE KIRBY 2014! KIRBY, KIRBY, 2014!
    Ignoring RP is something I think we're better than, actually.
    Having fun RPing with your friends only to then stop and say "Wait, no. It's those guys... come on let's stop the story and leave." may avoid conflict but it's not fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.