1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

The Shining Shooter [Factions Event]

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by Leschinsky, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Leschinsky

Leschinsky Bohemic Tendencies

Okay.
    Guys, just hear me out, this isn't that bad an idea.
    Okay.

So an errant pirate signal gets intercepted, transcribed, and released to Starnet, maybe by Betty; free-information believer she is.

The signal refers to a planet called "the Shooter", and talks about how it's closing in on it's "mercy lap", a period of three weeks in it's 200 year orbit where it's reachable without melting a vessel, or frying any sentient who dare lands on it's black, glassy surface.

This planetoid, long ago, was an Impervium refining and mining planet. It was originally in a stablish-orbit where things weren't always on fire, but a meteorite messed things up fairly quickly, knocking it towards it's parent star. The facility survived, most of the planetoid, however, did not.

It's orbit has been decaying, drawing closer and closer to the "death zone", where it's surface will be shredded apart and dissipate into the star, possibly very soon. The facility will not survive this.

Pirates, the free-loading loafers they are, are mostly concerned about easy to grab-and-go things, nothing that's hard to reach or in dangerous locations. They're thinking small.

. . . So here's the event plan.

Any faction that's interested will set up a base camp somewhere on the surface nearish to the spawn; nothing subterranean or the like. We got three weeks for this thing before you gotta get out quick. Tents, prefab structures, whatever the faction can muster. (lets say a week before hand where construction can happen; the spawn is one of the safer places on the planet, so it'd be habitable first)

Now; not only will they have their guys working the surface during "low-light events" (when the surface isn't a few thousand degrees, aka when I'm on to host the events, will write up a schedule), but also be able to hire private-contractors (non-affiliated PCs) to go out and fight, mine, scavenge, and sabotage for the faction.

There's alot to be found on the Shooter; Impervium Ingots and Wafers, raw Rubium ore by the bin, even some derelict equipment for mining and refining the stuff. . . Plus, whatever the last raiders (who met unfortunate ends) left behind.

Now! That the fun ideas are out of the way, the not-fun adminning stuff for this to go smoothly.
    I'll be on to personally arbiter the whole thing during pre-scheduled up-times; but, I'll need help from some volunteer arbiters (people who don't plan on participating with their characters, obviously), to oversee PvP, looting, that sort of thing, to keep track of what's going on.

Loot is predetermined and will be placed by me and the arbiters; this is to put a cap on how much of the god-metal is put into circulation, and to give real IG items for people to get. Like an Easter hunt! In Hell.

Another thing that will be needed is actors, as there will be mini-events that will be triggered by players exploring the surface. (possible signaled by a specific item to find, like. . . a gold ducky or something) arbiters can fill this role too, as long as one arbiter is still overseeing the entire thing. Things like pirates, battle droids, and whatever could survive the hellish surface orbit-round to encounter, fight, and quite easily, die to.

This is me trying to create a fun, immersive, inclusive, free form event without a predetermined ending or result. Your characters could die, your faction could lose, your ducky may spell your doom.

Ideas, thoughts, volunteers, mudslinging?
    I'm excited for this, and am hopeful there's interest to get it going.

2. Leschinsky

Reserved because I am special.

3. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

I volunteer the RA :)

4. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

oh and actor if times match up :)

5. Leschinsky

Times will be scheduled around the arbiters and players, though most likely, during heavier-pop times on the server will be favored.

6. Deadkool-aid

Deadkool-aid New Member

So, what would the protocol on civilians be?

7. Leschinsky

Good question; people working privately or solo on the Shooter are more than welcome to the events. Though it's incredibly dangerous, as you could not only get caught out by the elements or local dangers, but the factions running about might be a bit trigger happy at the sight of an unidentified target...
    That's no guarantee they will shoot everything that moves, of course; each faction does as it wishes, but, there's no guarantee they won't, either.

8. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

So this is now open to any faction? I do like the idea, but I would personally be more comfortable with it if a mod said that the mod team was okay with it, since it's sort of spontaneous generation of resources, but also not.

9. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

(it was originally open to anyone and everyone and still is. I kinda expect a lot of faction groups, and gangs of players who were originally solo, teaming up to hold their own and share in the plunder of scavenging/mining/searching/and or raiding)

10. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

Sounds fun <3 I like the idea of actual conflict, violent or not, occurring among players for once, instead of the occasional half-assed bar fight. It's gonna be really really messy, sure, but it could be a good learning experience for everyone involved.

11. GuardianPotato

GuardianPotato New Member

I would so love to do this.

12. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

oh lord, the two groups of ex usaf meeting, with their new/different allegiances will be interesting at least

13. Arcticil

Arcticil Toxic Top Soldier

sounds fun and interesting

14. MedMalpractice

MedMalpractice New Member

Well I just miss ALL the cool stuff.

This sounds like an amazing idea, but if I were you, I'd keep track of each faction's resources (Weapons, armor, ammo, rations) very meticulously.

15. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

HKC 4 lyfe.
    if I can fix seaguard's ship. *slams head into ship fuel tank* I WIIIILLL ALWAAAAYYYYSSS LOOOVEEE YOOOOUUUU, HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME GODDAMNIT HOW COULD YOU

16. skipi

skipi New Member

exciting

17. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Floran sssstab sssstupid meatssss and get all their ssshiniessss

18. Roison

Roison New Member

Sounds like a wonderful idea, I would like to take part of this, the idea of faction warfare’s in shanty bases while mining and exploring is wonderful.