1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Reminder: Illegal Mods (Also, Regarding Today's Downtime)

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Chronicle, Aug 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rezima

Rezima New Member

If you are in any doubt about whether a mod is safe to use or not we urge you to pay a visit to this link and check our approved mod list.

If the mod in question is NOT on that list, remove it, those mods are allowed because they were personally tested by us for potential issues, mods like the Dye Mod are known to cause server instability and crashes.

2. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

In case of doubts or wanting a mod to be approved, pm moderators.

3. Aiktor

Aiktor New Member

Is simply having the mod installed an issue, or do you have to use it for the lag to happen?

4. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

Simply having it installed spits errors.
    People seem to think if they have it installed, but aren't currently using any of the techs or items, it's fine.

That is NOT the case.
    If you have a mod installed that isn't on the list, remove it, it isn't up for debate.

Have a nice day though.

5. Doc

Doc Video Game Extraordinaire

Exactly. I'm pretty sure it's because when you log in, the game loads from your assets, and if you have non-standard assets it causes errors in the server. Those alone have been known to crash the server at times.

6. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

IMO we should just be like: "Hey, you got a mod, BAN! Reapply on the forums, bish."
    But its good that you guys are cracking down on it.

7. Aiktor

Aiktor New Member

Ok, thanks.

8. Doc

Well we don't want to do that due to the previously mentioned false-positives. We can't just ban everyone who shows up in the logs as having mods, otherwise we'd ban roughly 50-60% of the playerbase. We're more concerned about picking out people with mods actually causing crashes/other conflicts and warning them beforehand. Insta-bans for illegal mods seem a bit too heavy-handed, don't you think?

9. Blaine871

Blaine871 New Member

I actually do have more mods, though any of them that were not allowed have already been removed, I even replaced a sitting mod someone else had made for me with the skyrail sits just incase. The rest i believe are clientside and have never truly cased any issues. But i will list them below and if there are any that you guys believe may cause issues let me know and ill get rid of em.

Aright heres the list in order from top to bottom.
    - ADDONS ( This is actually a spear directional mod, only effects one simple line of coding (directional = True) for spears, Already available in the game in most recent update.)
    - extended-songbook-wide-1-0-5
    - ExtraZoomLevels
    - ILC ( of course the I like cheating mod )
    - Q_MM_Full (MM music pack)
    - Infinite Reach.modpak (seen others use this to access buildings on locations like The Gulch)
    - SkyrailSits.modpak

10. Shag

Shag High Impact Sexual Implications

This.

Plus there's always that one cool guy who doesn't do it on purpose or just forgot he had them on. It's happened to me, but now I always check.

11. Doc

It actually happened to me before. I had the LiquidGuns mod and I was causing issues I believe. No crashes, but error messages in the logs. And this is exactly why we don't take the "ban first, ask questions later" approach asides from in extreme situations.

12. Doc

Most of those seem to be either client-side or just music addons, so you should be fine.

13. Blaine871

Blaine871 New Member

kk

14. Shag

Shag High Impact Sexual Implications

Sadly people are still using mods. I just crashed.

15. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

Sen's ILikeCheating Mod already has infinite reach in it, silly. Might want to delete that to clear up clutter.

16. Sen

Sen Guest

What is particularly obnoxious is that the Dye Mod says it is multiplayer friendly on the official mod page; it is not.

17. Aiktor

Aiktor New Member

Many mods claim to be multiplayer friendly without being so. I guess they think that "multiplayer friendly" means that it can be installed on the server, rather than it can be used in a vanilla server.

18. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

Regardless, people shouldn't install any mods for use on the server without consulting the mod team first, unless they are on the approved mod list. Just because you think it won't harm the server, doesn't mean it's okay.

19. Chronicle

Chronicle nobody knows why he's still here

Keep in mind that not eeeevery crash is caused by mods. Starbound is still in alpha/beta stages, and more than a tad unoptimized and unstable. Any server will have occasional crashes, wipes, and other woes, and ours is no exception.

That said, mods very frequently add to these occurrences, so we'd like to crack down a little on that for everyone's sakes.

Also, as Doc said, the only mods that are really safe are the ones that only use/modify existing game assets. If you have doubts as to if your mod is safe or not, it's... probably not. But there are some exceptions. You, Blaine, should be fine.

20. Chronicle

Chronicle nobody knows why he's still here

Hi guys!

In light of this recent event and our more proactive approach with mods, we've decided to make an FAQ explaining this better for future reference. In addition, we've expanded our Approved Mod list and made a Disapproved Mod list as well, so that you guys don't have to ask about some of the more popular mods. (And also get some links to some really cool approved ones. I recommend Big Chat, it's pretty amazing for RP.)

We'll also be updating both of those lists regularly in the future, so everyone's up-to-date. Obviously we'll only be including the more popular/asked about mods in the Disapproved Mods list, but we hope it'll help save everyone some time.

You can find a link to all of this cool stuff on the Code of Conduct; we just added it there. Alternatively, click here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.