1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Fleet concerns

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kirby teh Pink, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Puts the Coo in Cool

I understand there are a people who have issues with the Holy fleet faction. I encourage you to voice these concerns here so that we may reach a better level of understanding.

2. JimHarrison

JimHarrison Grouchy Player

REMOVE FLORAN BAN BECAUSE FLORANS ARE NICE PEOPLE TOO

3. Goldsum

Goldsum New Member

Personally I really don't got a problem with the Holy Fleet, despite what my IC posts may lead some people to believe. I mean, the thing is, a bunch of over-zealous birds, who happen to also be basically the police force on Liberty Mill's, one of, if not the largest hubs on the server, makes for a really easy IC punching bag. Rage against the machine, in a way. The Holy Fleets air of superiority and zealous beliefs also may make for IC enemies, but on the bright side this leads to interesting faction and player conflicts, as different ideologies and motives clash. So overall the Holy Fleet is good, as it generates alot of interesting roleplay.

4. Spyrosis

Spyrosis Basedgod

Completely agree with Thorn on this one, ICly everyone will have their doubts about the Fleet because they're the easiest target to go after. OOCly the only complaint I've heard is the fact that Mods let them get away with shit that normal factions wouldn't just because they're part of it, which I personally think is utter shit. Mods are people who want to RP too, and just because the Fleet is a fully functioning police force that doesn't let your criminal characters get away with shit, or is able to successfully impose their presence on the populace, doesn't mean the mods are being biased. Some people are always just looking for something to hate on, and it's usually because they're jealous of it.

5. FireDrinker

FireDrinker Beware, I live!

OOCly my only bitching point about the fleet is the Floran ban on Liberty Mills. It makes sense ICly, but when you're pretty much the hub of the galaxy and I can't roleplay my character on it, it severely limits my options and it's kind of shitty for me and quite a few others. I can go to wolves den where I can only Barp which is boring to me. Or I can promote my own hub . I can't go to Taranis as either of my characters would be persona non grata there, and the smaller hubs are empty when there isn't an event going on.

Picking up and just jumping into an RP is impossible for me because the primary hub-world is closed to me. It's annoying and I hate it.

6. invictus69

invictus69 New Member

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion as a new comer?
    Why not allow floran to continue on liberty mills but treat them as second class citizens? Those with prejudice against them freely act on it ICly, it would make for interesting development, if not spark something up. Since I'm new I haven't had the chance to do much of anything but there is a very obvious absence anywhere else in the universe.

7. Sen

Sen Guest

Florans were never citizens in the first place.

8. FireDrinker

FireDrinker Beware, I live!

By the same token, there were only one or two glitch player characters who played as citizens, but constant bombardment of one off glitch drones and glitch characters attacking the guards, but no glitch ban was ever made.

9. invictus69

invictus69 New Member

At the very least they remove 1/6 of possible commerce on the planet, owners of any establishment without hatred of Floran/ Love for money would eventually voice their outrage. Or maybe not, in all honesty I have no idea how things work on liberty mills in regards to citizen V Gov'ment, and with this ban its likely I won't for some time.

10. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Puts the Coo in Cool

Heh, that's pretty much what went on before the ban. We were actually talking about lifting the ban quite recently, expect an announcement soon.

Also, if you want to know more about LM's economy, there's always this thread.

11. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

The problem here is that the Fleet is backed up against the wall with this ban, because the ultimate goal of roleplay is to try to being the universe to life in a realistic manner. The ban makes sense both ICly and realistically, and I applaud the Fleet for having the steel balls necessary to go through with it. But then you take a step back, break immersion and view it from the perspective that it's just a game - which it is, at the end of the day - and realize that holy fuck dude you just banned a sizable section of the server's population. The players, not the characters.

A majority of us aren't affected. For me, Blood of the Sands is banned from Liberty Mills, but that doesn't matter because I have other characters I can hop on that aren't banned. But there ARE those players who strictly or mainly roleplay Floran characters. And for them, this ban really really fucking sucks. You just outright banned them as players from one of, if not the largest hubs on the server. Could they make new alts? Yeah, but that's a shitty way out and if it's the only solution you're doing something wrong.

I love the Fleet. I love what they bring to the table and what they're doing and the possibilities for future events. They bring a lot of conflict and a lot of interesting IC commentary, and all that can only be good for the server in the long run. That said, I would strongly consider looking over possible alternatives to a colony-wide ban. Something that would both be realistic but also wouldn't forcibly remove a large subset of the player base from arguably the most popular hub world.

Maybe a one-strike thing, as in the Florans are walking on thin ice and at the first sign of trouble they're arrested/hunted down etc. Maybe assume any Floran in the vicinity is automatically the perpetrator when investigating a crime scene. I dunno, you guys are smart. I'm sure you can figure this out!

12. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

You just can't take any faction seriously if it uses pokemon meme in one of their threads.

13. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

BIRD JESUS IS NO LAUGHING MATTER :mad:

14. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

ICly, Jace couldnt give a flying pluck, but Coles wary of the fleet, and also COMPLETELY doesnt understand their religiousness, but OOCly, I like the fleet. It does, like has been said, bring in alot of interesting RP experiences to the server. Also, gives another enemy to blame everything on, and if that faction war ever gets going, it could be even better.

15. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

Did someone say... Faction War?

[​IMG] (anyone who has seen this video will understand)

In all seriousness, though, I enjoy the Holy Fleet. Its not exactly easy being a faction that (like in real life) is oppressive towards a certain people group, because every character in the sector flips at unequal rights or something. Frankly, its kinda wimpy and cheap to be accepting of everyone. Something I hope to change about the HKC...

*foreboding piano chords play*

16. invictus69

invictus69 New Member

Only a matter of time before "THEM GAT DERM FLORANS TOOK MY JERB"

17. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

Time to get my guns, and other guns, and other other guns! Oh C&H, it entertains me so.

18. Narfball

Narfball narfball

"10/10 its ok" ~IGN

no but in all seriousness the fleet's okay from an ooc standpoint, the only characters i have that have any remote issue with them are misfit and steven for entirely different reasons
    the only reason ii have for disliking the fleet is the floran ban. that's really it though rofl

19. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

Ah the fleet, full of a bunch of racist religous zealots who don't know how to have a good time.
    It's a very nice faction to RP with.

IC standpoints being Petal barely cares as she hardly visits the mills, and Drige.. Well Drige is Drige.

I'm on the fence about the floran ban.

On 1 hand, it creates plenty of nice tension in that all the florans are basicaly told "no" and ever other races are offended by this on a person to person basis.

On the other, it is a bit of a RP limiter.

One suggestion would be, is to allow them, but treat them like trash the whole time. Threat until proven otherwise.

If any of you have over play morrowind you may remember the ordinators of the city of Vivec.

Their general response and attitude until you prove yourself is "We're watching you... Scum..."

As others have mentioned, they don't really have to go easier on florans at all.

Could do what has been done before, Florans could be given a VERY short leash and might be physically maimed at the slightest provocation.

Some guards might even try to provoke a "worthy" reaction.

And that's just my 10 cents.

20. Aissa

Aissa Clockwork Pastry Lobster

No Glitch ban was made because the two planetary heads, both PCs, are Glitch (to a degree, at least), as is a decent chunk of the NPC labor force.