1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Community FAQ Now Available

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Kazyyk, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I've unlocked the FAQ (which wasn't actually locked, for those of you who explored and found it already) and added a few basic questions. I'll continue to update the FAQ as questions are asked and thought of.

If you have any questions, please check the FAQ first before asking a Staff member.
    If you have any questions you'd like to see added to the FAQ, please ask them below or start a conversation with me containing them.

As always, we're constantly striving to provide the best Starbound Roleplay experience.
    Any feedback is welcome!

- Kazyyk

2. JimHarrison

JimHarrison Grouchy Player

WOT IS FAQ?

3. Spinach Pirate

Spinach Pirate The Adorable Spinach

Frequently Asked Question

4. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

I would suggest adding sections that explain godmodding, powergaming, metagaming, why they're bad, and how to avoid doing them.

Might as well throw "what is consent" on top of that list as well, while we're at it.

5. Penwize

Penwize New Member

Yes, what Bot said! Responsible roleplay is something all players would benefit from reading about, veteran or not!
    Perhaps links to Starbound lore ("What is the in-character history of the StarboundRP universe?"). Has someone been recording events in the server itself?
    "Suns rise and fall within over planets. How is IC time measured in StarboundRP? Do we just not bother and merely measure time in real-life approximations?"
    "How much is a pixel worth compared to the real life money? Are there standards, exchange rates, and/or other forms of currency? If there aren't, will there ever be? Which is worth more: one million pixels or ten ingots of impervium?"
    "What should I (as a new player) do to quickly get involved with others?"
    "How involved are admins and moderators as Game Masters making events or stories? Is the universe completely Player-Character driven?"
    "Query: Do I need to lisssssssp? My character doesn't speak like members of the race usually do. Is that okay?"

Just a few suggestions. Thanks for adding the FAQ!

6. Penwize

Penwize New Member

Bah. Thanks, edit key for not showing up. You fool me yet again, forum HUD.

7. Leschinsky

Leschinsky Bohemic Tendencies

"There is an adult-themed section/event in my character's story, is that allowed?"
    Anything on violence, death, torture, rape, or any other "shock" value themes.
    Yes, these are real life tragedies, and can be very powerful in a narrative.
    But there's quite a few people who have or know someone who's been a victim, and can take offense to someone taking them lightly or tossing them around freely.
    In summation; first ask yourself if they're truly necessary to the story, and if so, use them with respect.

"Hey I want to make a custom race/off-shoot/culture/species/etc. Can I?"
    Generally, no, custom races that go against the standard lore are not.
    However, communications with the Staff is never frowned upon, so, if you genuinely think you have an idea that will be fun and fit seamlessly, never be afraid to ask a Moderator.
    [Possibly include list of outright "No"'s; such as anything copyrighted, humanoid animals (cat people etc.)]

8. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Questions that are already outlined as prohibited in the CoC shouldn't be necessary, but I suppose it couldn't hurt.

9. Animator

Animator New Member

10. Animator

Animator New Member

11. Leschinsky

"I really like [insert character from other media here], is it okay if I draw inspiration from them?"
    Playing that exact character? No. Copyrighted material or other people's work may not be used.
    However; we all draw inspiration from our favorite media, it's how we creatively evolve.
    When creating a character inspired by another's work, remember the words of Pablo Picasso;
    "A moderate artist borrows, a great artist steals."
    I.e.; Do not borrow, or, present the same piece that someone else made as your own.
    Steal it, make it your own creation. Take that concept and make something no one has seen before.

"I don't know to value [any unit of measurement] in-game! What should I do?"
    Some values have been defined either by the Staff or the Community;
    -1 Pixel = 1$ USD ((.75€ EUR))
    -1 Day in-game = 1 Day real-life
    -1 Block = 2 feet ((.6 meters))

"I'm confused where this server is situated in-character?"
    In-character; we are all in the Antares Sector, one of the galactic arms of the Milky Way.

12. Leschinsky

I'm basing these all off questions I get asked pretty regularly by newbies.

13. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I'm not going to say that the answers provided are correct. I will be evaluating these questions myself and generating official answers to them.

14. Leschinsky

Cool; was hoping for that. These were best-guesses and Moderator input.