1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Server Year for Roleplay and background

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leif Reverie, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Leif Reverie

Leif Reverie New Member

Have any of you tried to think of a date-of-birth for your character, or for the wiki? I don't know if Starbound has an official year it is in, but things like birthdays and such can be an issue if everyone just chooses a random number. Would it be a good idea to set a specific year that is current for the server so we can base our dates off of that? For example...

If the server year is 4036 or something, and one of my characters was injured in a fight 3 years back, I could actually say, "Yeah, I got that scar back in 4033." or something like that. I know it's not a big deal, but i'm someone who likes making every little detail about my characters perfect if I can.

2. Kai

Kai hey im kai and this is jackass

The IC year is 2414, if I'm not mistaken.

3. Switchback

Switchback Iss likess fissh eyess~!

this helps greatly

normally if one doesn't know for log reasons I'd use the old "2xxx" thing.

thanks you TD senpai and thank you Leif for making the thread :D

4. Leif Reverie

Leif Reverie New Member

Do you have any source for this possibly? And thank you for responding.

5. Leif Reverie

Leif Reverie New Member

No problem. I was curious, and I thought other's might be too.

6. Venom

Venom New Member

There is no source for 2414, I put it on the wiki four months ago and like.. half, if not more of the server has been using it. Although, I think I saw that the devs have said it's 300-400 years in the future.

7. Switchback

Switchback Iss likess fissh eyess~!

sloth you genius

8. Leif Reverie

Leif Reverie New Member

Honestly I figured Starbound would have a different year system than the earth system.

From what I can find in the Avian Lore PDF, they system used (At least for Avians) appears to be in a format like this. (E4R2Y3L211)

Now I am not completely sure how this works, but it seems the E stands for Era, so E4 would be the 4th Era.
    R, I am not sure, I could only guess Rotation? This could be possible if Avos has a longer cycle around it's sun then earth does maybe.
    Y obviously could be year.
    L, I have no idea, but is seems to be similar to which day of the year since it seems to reach up to triple digits.

The last date recorded on the PDF was E4-R24-Y7. This was when the Avians first found FL1-4 (Floran Homeworld).

Between 200-900 years after that, is when the Floran escaped due to the avian mistake.

It's then very possible that we are either still in E4, or possibly even in E5. I don't know. This is all the information I could find so far.

[Sources] Avian Lore PDF

Edit: Kluex's reign started in E1-R1, suggesting this may be just the Avian's date system. Pre-Kluex (before the were intelligent enough to keep records of history), was simply E0.

9. Venom

Venom New Member

Then that's probably just Avian, as you mentioned in the edit. I'm going by 2414 for Human years. It just keeps things simple and uncomplicated.

#9 Venom, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  10. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

US goes by Earth years, and when people come in we ask them if they know their age in Earth years. It would take some serious calculatin', but wouldn't be impossible.

11. Leif Reverie

Leif Reverie New Member

New news. I discovered what R is.

R = Ruler

That date stands for (Era 1, Ruler 2, year 35,)

The date system is based on the ruler and historical events, not flat time.

This means Kluex gave up his thrown in E4R1Y50.

It also appears that this system uses other date points. L for instance, is not just days. It seams to be years at war with the Loyalists.

Since nothing huge has happened in Avian history since the Florans, I would assume we are still in the fourth Era. Since then the Floran have invaded the Hyoltl planet, so at least some time has past, and using 50 years as an average ruler life term, my best guess for the modern date is E4R36Y3