1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Floran Lisps & Glitch Speech: Optional Y/N?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kai, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

I haven't read a single post in this thread.

Glitch = cannot express different pitches/tones, so they use emotional expletives at the beginning of each statement to signal what kind of message they are trying to convey.

Floran = they hisssss because of plant stuff, biology and all that.

Get it right, get it right get it tight.

2. Trite

Trite New Member

It doesn't help that if anyone RP's either of these they're bound to get a hell of an aggressive IC response, as individuals the characters don't have any real longevity aside from becoming cannon fodder for other characters to kill and say 'i killed the thing who was bad and made me upset yay'
    That being said the IC responses aren't inappropriate, its just that to RP something dislikeable you need a faction or group to back you up and give you an environment to grow on. Having a Miniknog hang out in a rebel bar isn't going to harbor great rp.

Onto the topic:

Rping accents is annoying. Its obnoxious to read and type, (at least for the glitch, IMO, florans just rolling sss isn't hard.)
    Judge me all you want, but as Sat said, RPing shouldn't be a chore. Chat format isn't the place for lengthy accents and nice paragraphing.

3. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

All Florans should hiss, with the only exceptions being florans with cybernetic voiceboxes (in other words, no exceptions).

Glitch should use expressions before speaking unless they have a good reason for not needing it (i.e. being able to convey emotion in their speech).

I find anything else laughable as it just shows a lack of concern for the lore or a strong desire to be different for the sake of difference. That, or just laziness on the part of the RPer, which is perhaps worse than the other two.

4. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

Crowliss was raised in a tribe and has had troubles suppressing his tribal instinct in the past, such as his dissing on Aiko + Firedrinker, nearly eating a piece of Stanza to "See what it tastes like", and other tribal stuff.

5. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

I'd also like to add that personality and cultural differences mean nothing to these speech patterns as they are biological in nature (or whatever the glitch equivalent of that is)

An example is that someone who talks with a lisp would talk with that lisp despite their language, background or culture as the lisp is due to the shape of their mouth not the way they were raised or where. (Yes, I know that lisps aren't always due to this, in this example we're saying it is)

6. Trite

Trite New Member

I always assumed florans just talked that way because they felt like it, is there any in game lore that references it being due to their mouth?

7. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

other than the fact they don't have lips, i have no idea, but that's a pretty big one.

8. Kai

Kai hey im kai and this is jackass

My own personal assumptions exactly.

9. Sen

Sen Guest

Traditional Florans do not outnumber exceptional Florans, not by a long shot. Anyone who says otherwise is delusional or looking for justification. Count the number of Florans who will eat other sentient creatures.

10. CadeDaBeast

CadeDaBeast New Member

My Floran, Scaleblade, was raised by humans and therefore does not have the lisp. Is this realistic?

11. Kai

Kai hey im kai and this is jackass

If I got a nickel for every X raised by Y characters...

12. SirFruitcakes

SirFruitcakes New Member

Well, for what its worth. I want to cut my fingertips off everytime I force myself to play Raynard every other day, Glitch aren't 'easy' to play with this dysfunct, especially not for me. but I still use it, even if poorly. Because I knew what I was getting into the moment I made a Glitch and what others expect of one.

#52 SirFruitcakes, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  13. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

exactly this, it's getting ridiculous.

14. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

My general advice would be to use a simple set of four/five cues of intention. You don't need to memorize a complex list for every scenario; people don't expect that of you and it just makes playing a Glitch a chore, when in reality it should be fun to throw away your biological ties momentarily and become a robot.

Gamma literally only uses the following in everyday conversation:
    • Statement
    • Addendum
    • Response (even this is rare)
    • Informative
    • Query
    And then, for when shit gets deep or serious, you have the more emotional ones, such as:

• Threatening
    • Angry
    • Regret
    • Annoyance
    The list goes on and can vary depending on the circumstances, obviously. I'm sure you get the idea. Nobody expects you to be able to pick an emotion or intention for every sentence, because really, sometimes you're just... talking. If you don't know what your intent is supposed to be, just slap on the omnipotent "Statement" cue and you're good to go.

15. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

I do rememer simply slapping "Statement" When I did not knew what to say while playing a glitch 10/10 good tip.

16. Switchback

Switchback Iss likess fissh eyess~!

I'm one of them : DDD

17. Lorelai17

Lorelai17 New Member

Really, if you have a problem with how the race you play as speaks... Play another race? You should enjoy most everything about your character and race, and if they have a particular way of speaking, enjoy it, and embrace it. It does make you easier to notice, especially on radio, which I find very helpful being a Hylotl that fears the Floran greatly.

18. Trite

Trite New Member

I'd rather botch a minor aspect of a character than the whoke package just because I don't like the accent. If I want to rp a knight it makes a lot more sense to roll a glitch without an accent than a human that for some reason is a knight. You feel?

19. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

Not really considering the way you type represents you and your ability. When I see someone just...okay let me put it this way.

If a Floran without a hiss (just look at pictures, no lips, just teeth face) comes up, and speaks perfect eloquent English and starts talking about movies/games from 400 years ago, with tons of OOC and spelling/grammar mistakes...

You get the idea. The way the Glitch speak is a part of their character. You could play a human knight. Say he has dementia or something and that he thinks he's a knight. Or that he's just super into Glitch culture. If you're going to talk and act like a human, why not just play a human or Ape character?

20. Lorelai17

Lorelai17 New Member

Not really, it's the age of freedom where anyone can be whatever they wish. The Glitch are a robotic race which cannot express emotion and does so through speech, nor do they have facial expressions, so it would be needed really or other characters would be confused with dealing with them. Misunderstanding them often, since the glitch cannot smile, nor frown, or look any way but normal... Sadly, but tis' lore, is it not? (Art of the Female Glitch on the official site coming to mind, she has no mouth.)

But! There is always the ability to cybernetically enhance yourself so you are able to express yourself and look more natural, less robotic. Wonders of our server, no? :3 I suppose the Floran could also have their tongue modified so they don't have the hiss as well, but the reasoning behind it escapes me IC.