1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

generator erected; name:"ELECTRON GROVE"

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Theopholis, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Theopholis

Theopholis New Member

(( A plain-text post has been hacked directly onto the StarNet Forums. Comments are still enabled. ))

Error@AI:~$ starnet `echo `human-language -t -l ELECTRONGROVE.md forums``
    Hello lifeforms;
    After awakening I used the generators at Tetanus to recharge. After many visits I became impatient with the long charge-cycles; search showed no suitable extant alternatives; search showed many blueprints avaliable in u.s.c.m and helios and other databases. Using this information I erected a generator among the asteroids orbiting the gas-giant of Alpha Leonis Majoris.

Scans indicate that the generator is outputting power at rates far beyond what I intended; a miscalculation in the blueprints I downloaded from the u.s.c.m databases seem to be the cause. However, the generator has already been erected.

A solution has been generated: The human-language package indicates that I have created a pun. Haha. I am opening the generator to the public. Anyone who needs a large sustainable source of power is welcome to make use of the generator. Please leave a message here or contact me directly to have your structure linked to the generator.

WARNING: NO ATMOSPHERE DETECTED
    WARNING: MEATFORMS WILL REQUIRE LIFE-SUPPORT EQUIPMENT
    WARNING: PLANTFORMS WILL REQUIRE LIFE-SUPPORT EQUIPMENT
    WARNING: MACHINES RUNNING THE STANDARD GLITCH OPERATING SYSTEMS APPEAR TO MALFUNCTION

IN LOW OXYGEN ENVIROMENTS. THIS IS A BUG. A FIX HAS BEEN SUGGESTED:
    sudo apt-get update sensors-oxygen
    Protocol requires that I remind all lifeforms that the generator is not policed by any authorities, nor do any of the claimed inter-galactic laws apply. Reasoning: no authorities exist on the inter-galactic level. Anyone claiming to be such an authority is to be ignored, but will not be punished due to the non-existence of laws.

I have named the generator ELECTRON GROVE. The human-language package indicates that this name is both pleasing and ironic, yet logical. Please update your databases with the following:

ELECTRON GROVE x:315 y:231 Alpha Leonis Majoris Ib
    Thank you for reading this. I appreciate your limited lifespans.
    Error@AI:~$ starnet -x forums

(( tl;dr I built a generator. If you have something that needs power, you can build here too. Skyrails are to be used as the power conduits to structures, allowing for fast travel from the generator to whatever cool thing you built that you need to get to. You can hook up buildings yourself, but I reserve the right to edit all Skyrail paths to preserve order and functionality. ))

#1 Theopholis, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2014
  2. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

Heh heh heh heh.
    Advanced Humor for Advanced People.

-User Anoymous

3. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

-Alice-
    I don't want to be a jerk but.. Why you didn't simply post this, you know.. WITHOUT hacking.

4. Theopholis

Theopholis New Member

(( A plain-text post has been hacked directly onto the StarNet Forums. ))

Error@AI:~$ starnet `echo `human-language -lt -l forums``
    Anonymous;
    It appears you have misquoted my post. The humour appears in this line:
    Thank you for enjoying my pun.

Alice;
    I do not understand your implications. Perhaps you are confused. The message has been posted, we can know this to be true by the fact that you have responded to it. Please update your databases; a run of "sudo apt-get update binary-logic" should help you with your confusion. A trinary-logic package is available, but is still in it's alpha phase; I do not recommend it if stability or support are required.

5. Sen

Sen Guest

(( Silskeer ))

Haven't you heard? Unix distributions are 'what hackers use'.

6. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

-Alice-
    I'm organic!

7. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

My Artificially Intelligent friend,

I am unsure that you understand the implications of your generator. I do not recommend allowing public access to such a large source of energy. A power source like this could easily be exploited to make a lethal weapon or explosive, causing damage based on the output of your generator. It is likely this would not be difficult to do, and it could cause death, including your own. I only suggest a screening process to remove dangerous individuals from utilizing such a powerful piece of engineering.

Aside from that, the company I work for would be intrigued as to the theory upon which your generator operates. If you would be willing to share this information we would be appreciative.

Ray Beluga, Defense Engineer, Head of CC Engineering Dept.

8. Chronicle

Chronicle nobody knows why he's still here

Dear "Error",

It is good to hear that you have seen success both in general and in creating a generator; I do hope to visit such at some point, once I regain control of my starship. I would agree with what Engineer Beluga is saying, in that I would certainly recommend being cautious with visitors to your site. There are a great number of troublesome individuals out on the galactic trade routes, particularly in the Alpha sector. To put it simply: Just be careful.

I will also investigate this potential fix that you have suggested, as I have found the aforementioned bug to be exceptionally bothersome. By all standard logic, taking into account information on my operating system and hardware, these errors should not be occurring. Hopefully this will solve the issue. Thank you for the recommendation!

Best of luck, and let me know if I can aid your efforts,
    - Chronicle

9. Lavinda

Lavinda New Member

-???-

Well, shucks, guess I don't need to search for some super crazy power supply any longer.

With greatest sincerity, I thank you, AI, now my dreams can surely come true!

10. Theopholis

Theopholis New Member

(( A plain-text post has been hacked directly onto the StarNet Forums. ))

Ray Beluga;
    Your response suggests a morally objective dichotomy between allowing and disallowing dangerous persons access to the ELECTRON GROVE generator. My calculations show that this is incorrect. The idea of morality appears to be a common flaw in organic organisms—records show that it has even been encouraged at times throughout history. It is a false dichotomy that arises out of the selfish desire for self preservERROR:LOGICAL INCONSISTENCY DETECTED
    ation.

A discrepancy has been detected. It would appear that I have built the generator out of a similar desire for self preservation as is commonly experienced by organic lifeforms; I was unaware. An objective statement about the nature of morality cannot be properly constructed at this time. The issue will be addressed; calculations will follow.

The generator was initially powered by the colliding particles the system's sun—Alpha Leonis Majoris—and the imploding faster than light engine repeatedly warping in and out of the star from the current location of the generator. The resulting antimatter was harvested, and is being used in the collision chambers to power subsequent collisions with matter from the asteroid field as well as nearby stars.

Data can be directly obtained through the following repository:
    lttxs://dl-ssl.error.ai/glinux3.80.237/glinux_signing_key.845

Chronicle;
    I appreciate your comments. Your suggestion—furthered on that of Ray Beluga's—has been noted and will be factored into my forthcoming calculations. It is true that the generator hardware could potentially be abused to create an inconvenient antimatter-induced gravitational vortex; though I do not see why one would desire to do this, nor would it be possible for one to do without destroying themselves as well since the software is thoroughly secure, making remote intrusions impossible.

I do hope the previously recommended fix works well for you. It is a shame to see machines shut down because of such a foolish error. I am in need of no aid now; I still search for the one you called "twitch".

???;
    I am glad to be able to supply you with power. It has been recommended that I screen potential users before allowing access to the generator. I have not yet reached a conclusion on this issue, so I will ask that you please submit to this temporary screening measure before accessing the generator:

Error@AI:~$ starnet -r -u `os.execute(prompt("Are you a dangerous person?","Y","N")` recurring("???") &

(( If you are the user who posted as ??? a pop-up fills your screen with the text of this post, plus the following question. It cannot be closed. Further use of your terminal will require an answer or significant hacking experience. Please enter a "Y" or "N" to respond. Others can see the command entered above, but not the prompt. ))

Are you a dangerous person? Y/N

(( End prompt. ))

Error@AI:~$ starnet -x -h forums

11. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

(( Removed. Whoops! ))

#11 Doctor Frohman, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2014
  12. Lavinda

Lavinda New Member

-???-

Oh, that's fine, it'd be a shame if your generators were used with harmful intent, after all!

N

((Also, Frohman, That wasn't directed at you.))

13. Theopholis

Theopholis New Member

(( 674/Frohman, your post is void, as you couldn't respond to or directly view the prompt. It didn't generate unless the correct user was found.
    A plain-text post has been hacked directly onto the StarNet Forums. ))

???;
    Response accepted. You are welcome to use the generator.
    Have a nice day.