1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Community stance on Novakids.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Awe, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

Just curious as to whether or not we're accepting Novakids as canon yet, as no-one can play them. I was thinking maybe have them a distant race, almost a myth, until they're officially released. What do you all think, how should we go about it?

2. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

Should be a distant race IMO.

3. Crimeariver

Crimeariver New Member

In wonder if we could make their arrival some kind of server-wide event?

4. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

I was thinking a few of the servers more seasoned travelers could mention seeing 'people made of light' and stuff occasionally, and when they're released have a small group to begin with then slowly more arrive until everyone can just make one whenever they like. That way it isnt just a sudden mass migration of novakids.

5. Crimeariver

Crimeariver New Member

Well the Novakid do have a western theme, and also very poor attention spans. So perhaps we could have a small group who were "pioneering the unknown parts of the universe, but forgot what they were supposed to do once they arrived". Just a thought.

6. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Personally I have no issue with people talking about them. I imagine as soon as they are released a huge chunk of our playerbase will roll one up. What once was rare, suddenly popping up... I don't know is them being a huge mystery really will make much sense in the long run.

7. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

Whatever the lore about them says

8. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

doesnt say shit about them in relation to them not being released yet.

9. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

http://starbound.wikia.com/wiki/Novakid

From a quick skim through, Avians have met with them diplomatically and humans describe them as gas-bag people. They are in no way mysterious legends. There just are no characters yet because the ability to play as one isn't released yet.

10. Crimeariver

Crimeariver New Member

The only problem is that it's a bit odd from a RP stance if Novakid are a common thing to see, and yet none are present in the server Universe. We're either going to need some crafty story telling to explain why no one has seen a Novakid (or even remember them since people don't discuss them either), or we'll need to just diverge from the official Starbound lore.

11. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

From what the lore says, they have a very short attention span and often forget technology they developed within generations. Staying true to lore, their absence can be explained by them simply forgetting how to travel through space.

12. Crimeariver

Crimeariver New Member

Haha! I like it! =P

13. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

Then, when they do show up, the characters can all be Novakid pioneers.

14. Crimeariver

Crimeariver New Member

We should probably also put a limit on how many Novakid characters will be allowed on the server, because otherwise everyone and their mother will be dropping their characters to start a new Novakid character. Maybe have them submit a new form if they want to start a Novakid.

15. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

Doubtful, I won't be dropping anything to be a glorified space bandit made out of gas. If anything, Novakid characters are all gonna be super OP.

16. Sen

Sen Guest

mary sue race

17. Crimeariver

Crimeariver New Member

^^

Exactly why I think we should screen people who want to play as a Novakid and make sure that they're responsible and (if possible) well known around the server.

18. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

yes

19. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

I think ya'll are just making a mountain out of a molehole. Just treat them the same as any other player character, and all is good. If someone wants to play a Novakid, why not? People can have alts and such.

20. The Grand Mugwump

I won't immediately and my mother doesn't play.

Everyone here has already been screened and accepted by the mods to join the server. A second screening process would be redundant.

I prefer Tacc's reasoning for how they come about suddenly appearing en masse in our little universe.