1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

[2/21/14] Recent Issues

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Kazyyk, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Hey, all!

I figured it was about time for an announcement talking about the issues we've been having lately.
    Ever since the Enraged Koala patch, colonies have been vanishing mysteriously.
    According to the logs, this is due to the client/server failing to load the world file.
    Rollback after rollback, restore after restore, these issues have not been resolved.
    Even rolling back to pre-Mod Pack and pre-Patch did not help.

We're in a tough spot, I'm not sure what's wrong.
    I can't keep fixing these issues day after day.
    We can wait for Chucklefish to fix it, or...
    We could do a wipe.

Of course, if we did decide to do a wipe, I'd keep original backups just in case.
    So I leave it up to community to decide what we should do.

Thanks.

2. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

Try wipe, bring back colonies one by one to test if they play nice individually. I'd hate to wipe it out, rebuild, just for them to hotfix a wipe in out of nowhere.

3. Bloodrazer

Bloodrazer Son of Rakkis

This is really the most reasonable idea. Fix it the way you fix 90% of all tech support problems, turn it off then on again

4. Chronicle

Chronicle nobody knows why he's still here

I kind of doubt this is going to do much. The colonies failing to load seem to be random; or, if there is a pattern, no one can find it. It's not even exclusive to modded planets - Alioth Prime has been "wiped" twice now.

I'm not entirely against a wipe, though I don't like the idea much, but I think we should wait for a while longer before considering such. It would absolutely suck if we wiped the universe only for a hotfix to come out the next day. And it's only been 48 hours or so. That should kind of be a last resort, if we can help it.

5. Venom

Venom New Member

Do what you gotta do. Stability is key at this point.

6. Sanguine

Sanguine New Member

Well, i don't have any places i'm notably attached too, so i'd say wipe...

7. Silver

Silver Ain't no thing like me 'cept me.

Would it be worth making an experiment in which we run tests on a planet not yet generated by the server (100% previously unexplored) to periodically build, screenshot, analyse the behaviour of over the course of several days? I feel as though a wipe would be a premature response given that Enraged Koala is festooned with issues (enough to make Chucklefish roll out an official apology).

Has an experiment been conducted to see if "wiped" colonies return on their own without admin intervention? I saw it happen once that one person beamed down to find a barren world, but another person beamed down to find the proper world and eventually others were able to join that proper world.

I'm leery of a wipe before we fully understand what is happening and feel that, as a community, it may be better to forge forward with the understanding that, sometimes, a colony might be missing and that, in those events, it would be best to move to another planet, set some chairs down, and roleplay there instead. After all, we have an entire universe at our disposal; let's use it and not be so dependent on the availability of places we know might be missing due to beta issues. It'll get solved, but we'll find a much better fix if we're not so insistent on solutions NOW NOW NOW.

8. Venom

Venom New Member

He's keeping backups. I'd rather be able to play the game.

9. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Keeping backups or not, it's actually quite a process to do rollbacks.
    Thus why I said I can't keep fixing this as it occurs.
    It occurs way too frequently.

10. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

My settlement seems to be completely fine, but I didn't start it until a few days before the update. Not sure what relevance this might have but I might as well put it out there.

11. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

As others have said, it may be best to just wait on word from Chucklefish. From what I have observed, anything from Furious Koala just does NOT play nice with Enraged Koala. Containers and planets have all been wonky. I'm not sure if it's even possible to fix something such as incompatibility or corruption.

12. Silver

Silver Ain't no thing like me 'cept me.

The last rollback actually did a good fix on my construction. I just had to fix chairs again, but my containers stopped being bugged (and contained the items they should contain) despite also returning to pre-disappearance placement. We'll see if the settlement vanishes again. I'll keep careful notes on it also.

#12 Silver, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2014
  13. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

My main concern with leaving the colonies wiped/bugged until we get a decisive fix is loss of playerbase. I would imagine those who RPed mainly at Mattis would either move on to other colonies or would just leave the server indefinitely, either by choice or by "just until it's fixed" syndrome.

14. FireDrinker

FireDrinker Beware, I live!

Tallest Tree finally got wiped from this today.

[​IMG]

Feel like we're losing playbase no matter what. That said, I don't believe wiping the universe is necessarily going to fix things. I think fishdish has the right idea here. Pick a random planet, preferably in maybe delta sector where nobody goes that often, since people tend to stick to alpha or x, build something, and then test the shit out of it.

15. Rehtael

Rehtael New Member

Quatraz hasn't vanished at all. It may have something to do with the fact that the entire base was made in vanilla mode. Would there be any way to keep it in tact barring a universe wipe?

16. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Vanilla mode?

17. FireDrinker

FireDrinker Beware, I live!

I put up a quick sign in the Gamma Orionis Minoris III, 240 -470. Stop by. Build something quick and silly, and warp in every once and a while for the next couple days. I confirmed it as freshly generated. So we'll see if its only prepatch colonies that have this problem.

18. Rehtael

Rehtael New Member

No mods. None. At all. Well, I was given things I suspect were spawned in creative, but other than some skyrails, a few electrodoors and matter spawners (None of the latter I've used) I've played entirely in a modless format. (I don't like mods.)

19. Rehtael

Rehtael New Member

Well, the item containers were fucked up just like for everyone else, but otherwise the little corporate moonbase colony of Quatraz has been as normal as ever.

20. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

the only affect mods could have on your colony is if you placed a modded item somewhere. These recent issues are sprouting up no matter what. Mattis itself had no modded place-able items, and now it's reverted back to the way it was.