1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

SBSE - Easy Player and Armor Coloring Without Mods (0.10.0 RELEASED - Pleased Giraffe supported)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phaze, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

Happy boxing day! (Is that a thing?) I've just pushed version 0.9.0 live. Next time you run SBSE you'll be prompted to download it, I highly recommend not skipping this update! Optionally you can downloading using one of the links below. Info:
    • SBSE Desktop 0.9.0
    • Released December 26th, 2014
    • Download:
    • Changelog:
      • Feature: Added support for latest nightly/unstable builds
      • Feature: Ability to delete players (deleted players are backed up first)
      • Feature: Backup management for listed players
      • Feature: Save preview image of your player
      • Change: Minor UI changes
      • Fixed: Incorrect hex value when choosing certain colors with transparency
      • Fixed: Fixes to mod support for certain edge cases
    Note to Advanced Users: The incorrect hex bug is due to circumstances outside of my control, the actual fix is a work around that involves swapping the bad hex color for what it should be when the player is saved. If you're putting hex codes in manually, the visual preview may not show any changes, but it will be saved properly. This is not a problem if you stick to using the color picker.

2. Reconus

Reconus Moderator
    Staff Member

View attachment 2873
    wuv woo so much <3

You don't believe how much this has bugged me for.

Attached Files:

• yes.png
      yes.png
      File size:
      64.8 KB
      Views:
  3. Not A President

Not A President [help me]

I FEEL YE. I FEEL YE.

If there's ever a chance that you stop updating SBSE (most likely a 00.01% chance) would there be anybody who would possibly? I do realize that you do this all in your spare time, would there be anyone you'd hand this off to if real-life things take over?

4. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

There might not be a need for SBSE in the future, other projects such as StarCheat are making significant advances specifically in the areas that SBSE excels at (which is pretty much just editing colors with a nice visual representation). I'm going to keep updating SBSE for as long as I can even if other editors start offering the same features because I enjoy doing it, it's pretty much just a fun personal project for me, but if for whatever reason I decide to stop I will just create a public github for it and the let the community assimilate it. Otherwise I don't really know anyone that would want to take it over.

5. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I know nothing about it or the components it's made of, but I'd be interested, certainly.

6. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

If it comes to that I wouldn't mind leaving it in your hands. SBSE is used most by this community already so I would be happy with it here.

Also I have a bugfix update incoming for OS X users on the latest unstable release. Should be out some time today.

7. Solour

Solour a dad

Another few questions made by an impatient person. When's the possibility of changing hair-styles using the desktop version? Description changing? I don't mean to sound Pushy. But just, it's a swell, easy-to-use program.

8. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

I've officially retired the old web version of SBSE, and in it's place I've created a new site just for SBSE Desktop. From this site I plan to offer a manual of sorts in the "help" section that will describe everything SBSE can do and how to do it. I will need time to write this section, but it's not as big of a job and shouldn't take too long. If anyone wants to help out with it I would appreciate the help, I want to make it kind of like a wiki, so having other people writing pages would be useful.

Anyway, let me know what you think of it, if it needs any more information just let me know!

I actually have been working on an interface for changing hair, I originally intended to put it in 0.9 but I wanted to push that update out and it's still a little ways off. Tomorrow night I'm going to put some more work in to it, if I can get it done by then I'll try to squeeze it in to 0.9.1, otherwise it will be in 0.9.2.

As for additional things to change like Description, I will push that into 0.9.1 for sure. I'm just stuck deciding what other things I want to add in to SBSE. I need to play Starbound more to really get a feel for what new things I could do, if you guys have any suggestions feel free to let me know!

9. Not A President

Not A President [help me]

As for hair-changing, will it be at all possible to do things like give a Human an Apex's beard? Or a Hylotl a Florans hair/leaves? If it's not possible, rip. I would absolutely, as well as other people, like a Human with a beard, minus having to use the Santa Clause hat item with the hat invisible.

10. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

I don't believe that's possible without mods, sorry! I've tried a few tricks already, but a player's species locks it in to a certain set of variables which cannot be changed according to the game's own rules. Hair, Facial Hair, and Facial "Masks" are all tied to species, and setting them to variables from other species just confuses the game.

11. Jnick22

Jnick22 New Member

Well, I remember having a glitch character that I changed to human (Via Starcheat) and it still kept the Glitch eyes even with the Human Body and face and stuff. Maybe there is a way, just a bit hard to find. Also, when it tried to show up on SBSE version .87 it just said it couldnt load it or some such.

12. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Bleach Connoisseur

God, I could really use some help. Every time I try to launch SBSE, it crashes while it tries to sort through my player files.

#112 Pie4Pigs, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2014
  13. Jnick22

Jnick22 New Member

Error? Did it generate an error log somewhere?

14. Pie4Pigs

Where would I look for an error log?

15. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

Are you using OS X?

16. Pie4Pigs

No, Windows 7.

17. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

How many mods are you using? Also, how many player files do you have?

18. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

Good news everyone! I managed to finish the hair changing and description editing features tonight, so they've been pushed into 0.9.1 which is live now!
    • SBSE Desktop 0.9.1
    • Released December 29th, 2014
    • Download:
    • Changelog:
      • Feature: Ability to change hair style to any hair style of your species, regardless of gender
      • Feature: Descriptions can now be edited
      • Fixed: Fix for startup crash on OS X when using unstable/nightly

19. Pie4Pigs

No mods. I originally had something like 59, but I brought it down to 25 and still have the same problem.

20. Phaze

Phaze Cavepainter

What version of Starbound are you using? :s Just trying to see what could be causing that problem, if there's a chance could you zip all your players for me and send them my way to download? I'd like to see if there's anything about one of them that could cause that problem