1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

[Optional] Community Mod Pack

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kazyyk, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

It may, unfortunately, be tied to your character.
    I'm not 100% sure how it works.

2. Zionus Dalmone

Zionus Dalmone New Member

Same thing happened to me when I was making my Ship using Creative mode in SP. I learned all the recipes, and that became attached to my character. You can't freely make anything you want without Mats anymore, but the knowledge of HOW to create those things are a part of your character. Like I said, I personally don't find it an issue so long as you gather your own materials. Now you can actually make all the different race armors and pick and choose which ones you like.

3. jaz

jaz New Member

That's what it seems like. My other character doesn't have all the options available. I suppose the only option would be to "recreate" the character in question and transfer over all my goods.

Or live with all this knowledge! Too much power. Granted, the mods would be massive in helping construct a small base/colony I'm attempting...

4. Pidgeons

Pidgeons New Member

Am I missing anything?

Edited out massive images. - Kaz

Attached Files:

5. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Please, please, please do not qoute or attach or post massive images.
    Resize them. Please.

http://www.picresize.com

6. Sammy McHammyDoodle

Sammy McHammyDoodle New Member

I think my announcement should find it's place here, I just installed the latest version of the modpack and now I can only log in, spends approximately 4 seconds on my ship and then have the game crash, suggestions?

7. Steamy

Steamy Pro spam bot

The i like cheating mod makes so many stores useless.

8. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Don't use it to spawn what you need. Go buy what you need. Roleplay.

9. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

How to use the mod to effectively RP:

Shop owner? Pick and choose what you sell! Gun salesman have the funnest time, as they can buy and trade supplies in order to get people out into the field to find guns. Or, if you REALLY wanna play it interesting, pick your stock for each day/week at random.

Building a big project? Get in touch with a group of miners! They can link you with the resources you need!

Need fuel? The Mawl will serve all your fuelling needs.

10. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Puts the Coo in Cool

I'm not too fussed about this at the moment, but you really should decide whether to make the modpack mandatory, or not support it at all. Currently it just causes problems for people who don't have it installed, which pretty much forces people to install it anyway.

It's a tough choice between accessibility and customisation, but a person who joins the server just to have the game CTD whenever they join a populated world might as well not have joined at all.

Personally I'm against the modpack, since the game is still in development anyway. But if it does become mandatory I won't have any complaints against installing it.

11. Silver

Silver Ain't no thing like me 'cept me.

Actually, even with Creative Mode and the ability to spawn in everything I need, I'd still go to the player-run stores, look at the inventory, talk to the shopkeeper, make store talk, discuss pre-orders, discuss items, buy stuff even if I didn't need it from a game perspective (because maybe my guards need a new gun or something or I'm shopping for a niece), and just role-play.

Shopkeepers are not useless. Shopkeepers are integral as representatives of the invisible wider market our characters live with. Like all of us, they are actors on a stage playing their necessary roles.

Besides, it's better than everyone being a Billy Badass thug. Please, shopkeepers of the server, never think or feel you are useless. You are greatly appreciated and loved. Thank you for what you do, sincerely.

12. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Initial plan was to make it Mandatory. Enforcer is broken, doesn't work.
    Now there is no way to make it Mandatory.
    Players have two options:
    1) Use it
    2) Don't use it

Either way works. It is optional. The reason we offer it is so that people who want these features can have them.
    It only becomes a problem when people bring in mods that aren't in the Mod Pack.

13. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Puts the Coo in Cool

Heh, I wasn't thinking about it being a sever login thing, more of a "USE THIS OR ELSE" deal on the forums, since it's kind of going that way in-game anyway. Sure, here it's listed as optional, but ingame a few people seem to feel that everyone should have it installed, even implying that those who don't are making the server unstable.

At least that's the vibe I'm getting.

14. Silver

Because I thought that the server was going to do file checks, I was in this camp. However, now that I know it isn't, I will be removing a few and keep to my old routine of keeping my Creative Mode use to Single Player.

Given that the Vanity Mod seems to spam error messages and doesn't add anything game-changing (just vanity), I'd recommend keeping that installed just to alleviate strain on the server.

15. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I'm really try to stop this misconception. All mods do this (the ones that aren't installed Server side).
    It's not just Vanity Mod.

16. Silver

Oh, then I'll keep it all on while continuing to leave the ones I use only in SP off.

17. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Basically, this is how it works.

If Mod is installed on Server = No Error Log spams
    If Mod isn't installed = Error Log Spams

Doesn't matter if the player is using the Mod or not, as long as it's installed Server side.

18. jaz

jaz New Member

After looking at the mod for a while in game, I've concluded it is a temptation, but not totally invasive. If anything, it's overwhelming options are almost deterring.

I think we're all here for the purpose of roleplaying, so what does any of us get in this community by circumventing that fact? Beyond that, I'd argue abusing it too much would constitute as godmoding and metagaming. While it's a useful tool for fleshing out our world, I think we need to all be mindful (especially players newer to roleplaying and the flow of things) that use of the mod is to enhance and not create a virtual arms race. Namsayin? Shopkeepers will always have a place, miners will have a place, every role will still play, well, a role in the galaxy, so long as nobody gets real power hungry.

I like it. I like the mods, what they offer, and the potential for being able to have items and blocks you normally can't access. It adds great accents and vibrancy to a world -- ahem, galaxy -- that we're trying to create. I think it's a double edge sword. I guarantee there will be people who come in and try to break the game/server, and then we'll have people who just want like, one vanity item they can't normally get. I reckon it will have to be dealt with on a case by case basis, but having it be mandatory should prove no problem so long as we have some discipline as a community.

I for one, after some time since my initial reaction, have now swirled around possibilities in my head. I think Kazyyk is spot on with how to use it as a roleplaying device, and maybe after some time trying this out as a more ubiquitous mod pack, perhaps should have a line mentioned in the Code of Conduct in the future.

Needless to say, I don't know if the server will qualify as "vanilla" so much anymore...

EDIT: That all being said, I am having trouble logging in with the mods installed. So there do seem to be some stability issues mayhaps.

19. Sen

Sen Guest

You'll find that people who intend to abuse, will abuse, regardless of whether there is an official mod pack or not.

20. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

This modpack is here to give everyone the damn choice to do whatever they want, cheat or not. And for the 104th, yes, I agree pixels are overprized, but it would be better to simply put a rule on caring about them.

Now can we please stop disccusing this over and over?