1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Salutations!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Flux, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Flux

Flux New Member

Hello there, Flux here. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and collaborating with the community to tell some great stories. I'll probably be lurking around both IC and OOC for the first few days getting my bearings within the community, and plotting planning a way to get involved. I don't have much experience with forums outside of hardcore lurking, but I'm sure I'll figure things out quick enough.

A little about me for those interested: I have played and enjoyed tabletop RPGs for a number of years, sometimes as a GM and sometimes as a player. I am a video-game and classical literature enthusiast. I can also be a bit verbose. What's the point of being well-read, and having a massive vocabulary, if you never use it? My favorite book is The Count of Monte Cristo.

That's about it. See you space-side!

2. The Grand Mugwump

Welcome! Be sure to check out our newbie's guide to avoid common misunderstandings many new players encounter.

3. Hour

Hour Dogu

I like this guy.

4. Flux

Flux New Member

Me too. They seem pretty awesome.

5. Silver

Silver Ain't no thing like me 'cept me.

Welcome to the server, Flux! I wanted to greet you as one fellow lurker to another. Additionally, I feel that we may have the same issues with our use of language, but that can only herald good things to come. Have you extended your foray into Dumas toward the Musketeer "trilogy"? The themes of youthful adventure, growing older, political entanglements, and old friendships strained to be especially compelling. Maybe because I'm old, haha.

Should I assume your character name is also Flux and that I should be on the lookout for it?

6. Flux

Flux New Member

I've read and thoroughly enjoyed The Three Musketeers but never made it farther than chapter 20 in its follow up Twenty Years After. I also enjoyed The Man in the Iron Mask. It's great to meet another fan of the classics. Although Dumas wrote my favorite book, by far my favorite author is the more contemporary Terry Pratchett (gotta love Discworld). My character is indeed named Flux, and if you see her floating around feel free to say hello.

Let me know if you ever want to talk about books, by the way. I love having a chance to gush over them. At the moment, I am struggling to get through A House of Leaves. Not due to lack of quality, but because of the crazy way in which it is presented.

7. Silver

Silver Ain't no thing like me 'cept me.

A House of Leaves was tough for me too until I just accepted that instead of reading it as a story, I had to adopt the stance of a researcher. However, in doing so, the events of the book became more and more non-fiction in my mind and led down some really crazy paths when I got done reading at night. Definitely a memorable experience, haha.

If I had to pick a favourite, hm. Perhaps Steven Erikson as he not only has my admiration for his works, but my respect for his work ethic, and my fondness for how chill he is in person. The Malazan Book of the Fallen, while not as popular as other contemporary fantasy (ie. ASOIAF), is a literary tour de force which continues the revolution in fantasy fiction begun by the venerable Black Company (Glen Cook).

I'd love to discuss books at any time. One of my hats sets me as a literature teacher, so if you also want recommendations from my book lists, feel free to ask!