1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Hello, hello!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Ratmanners, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Ratmanners

Ratmanners New Member

Greetings, fellow Starbounders! Fairly new member to the game and completely new member to this community here! I'm Ratmanners, though you will (likely, should my approval go smoothly [finger's crossed!]) be seeing me in-game as Sedgewick. I have been role playing for quite a long time, over a variety of platforms and with different settings. It has been mostly fantasy stuff lately, so I'm excited to work my sci-fi gears after all this time!

I'll admit, being a new member is... quite scary. Working ones way up the social totem pole is never fun. It's hard work, but it eventually pays off once you've made yourself a few fine friends. That said, if anyone would like to help a newbie learn the ropes--I only just learned today that by holding shift, you can place single blocks instead of the quad-blocks--or just push me in the right direction when it comes to where to RP and who are the coolest cats to RP with, that would be greatly appreciated.

You can add me on Steam by looking for Ratmanners, if you're interested in that sort of thing. Otherwise, should everything fall together properly, I'll see you fine folks in-game!

2. The Grand Mugwump

StarboundRP server does not have cats, but we do have birds! Perhaps a few of them are cool enough for your tastes. Welcome aboard if you're accepted!

3. Ratmanners

Ratmanners New Member

Thank you for the warm welcome. Hope to get the chance to RP with you, and all you other fine folk real soon!

4. Aleiksei

Aleiksei New Member

ayyy welcome!

5. Paeonia

Paeonia New Member

Welcome to the community!
    If you have any questions, any at all, RP-related or otherwise, just ask here or on any of the other sub-forums!

#5 Paeonia, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2014
  6. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

USCM. We're thuper cool.

7. Silver

Silver Ain't no thing like me 'cept me.

Hey Ratmanners, :). Welcome to the server.

I've only been here about a week myself, so I understand what you mean when you say how intimidating it can feel. However, I've already seen you go around with big ambitions to create something new, which I think is the perfect mentality to have walking in. I'm very excited to see your ideas made manifest and hope for the best. Of course, I also hope we'll get to meet in-game and roleplay together and that you find or create precisely the kind of RP that makes you happy here.

If you want building help or tips, or have any other questions about the game, please don't hesitate to ask!

8. Ratmanners

Ratmanners New Member

Thank you for the welcomes, everyone!

Fishdish, if you want to help me figure out the customizable ship mod, I'm not about to turn down any help there. Trying my best to figure out how to replicate a ship design I saw, and it's just... it's a slow going process that makes me want to cry.

9. Silver

Sadly, the ship mod is not something I am at all familiar with (as evidenced by my dinky vanilla ship). What's the ship design you want to replicate?

10. Ratmanners

Ratmanners New Member

[​IMG]

There's the beauty. I got a friend--one of Silas' crew members--to help me try to remake it, and we managed to do:

[​IMG]

Been slowly chipping away at it and trying to fill things in. Working on the meat outside of the skeleton right now, and finding that we've got room to fill in a crews quarter or two.

11. Silver

Oh, that does look nice. Unfortunately, I think the custom image needs to be hosted server side for it to work on MP. Hmm. What you're going to want is a builder who can do perspective tricks. (Can you build that up the same as a planet-side structure?) It won't create an exact fit, but it'll at least appear 3D and not flat.

12. Ratmanners

Ratmanners New Member

We said fuck it all and started working on a whole new design. XD But thanks for the idea!

13. Sen

Sen Guest

Good luck, I find ships that incorporate any sort of complex geometry need to be on a larger scale to look any decent, unless you want to build a flying box (which I suppose most ships are).

Here's an example of a WIP larger ship that I built from a shell I generated using a bitmap image:
    [​IMG]

14. Ratmanners

Ratmanners New Member

[​IMG]

No fancy 3D tricks here, but it's still home.