1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

3/6 Press Release

Discussion in 'Refract Valley' started by MaximumRose, Apr 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaximumRose

MaximumRose Member

((OOC note, I believe that this article has been published but I'm not sure OOC if it has because the article isn't in the starnet news section, so if it isn't actually a published article then this is VOID))

To the Citizens of Refract Valley,

Yet another slanderous article has been published against Refract Valley. I am here yet again to let you know that the contents of the Terrak Rim Times are patently incorrect. Let us, once again, refer to the article in question and all of its inaccuracies.

"Refract Valley, a fringe colony which has recently found itself under criticism for security and leadership concerns, experienced a major health and safety breach this Wednesday."

There is no major health and safety breach. One shop is under quarantine for minute amounts of radiation which are unable to penetrate outside of the shop. Zephyr Tinkertoy, who is a nova and is entirely unaffected by radiation, has done the testing. The irradiated space is blocked off, and we are going to be demolishing and removing the affected area. Nothing else in the Valley is effected. We invite any scientists with testing instruments to come and confirm our own testing. We will also allow anyone who requests it to view the logs on our testing equipment, and the data on the equipment themselves.

"An anonymous source told TRN that an undisclosed number of individuals disassembled a robot, leaving hazardous, contaminating nuclear material out in the open where anyone could find it."

Out in the open is incorrect. It is all entirely inside of the shop, which is, once again, quarantined. Another fact checking atrocity. Perhaps Refract Valley should open a school of journalism, it's clear there isn't any education in this capacity going on elsewhere.

"According to our source, who wishes to remain anonymous, a small group of persons were walking the streets of Refract late this Wednesday afternoon. They reportedly stopped at the Valley's flower shop, disassembling a nuclear powered robot. They then used the fuel rod from the robot to contaminate the area before retreating off into the night. Unfortunately, none of the suspects could be identified in our investigation."

You'd think this source would go through the process of putting in a report at our Enforcer station so that it could be handled. Since the source didn't, I can either assume that they'd rather it not be properly and safely taken care of, or they were a part of the incident itself. Either way I find their claims and the motives behind them suspect.

"While the nature of this incident is not malicious, it could leave a lasting impact on the environment and health for Refract Valley."

It cannot, it's entirely contained to the shop.

"Radiation is a highly dangerous contaminant which can cause a number of adverse effects in people, such as cancer and radiation sickness, both of which can be fatal. The soil can also be ruined, becoming inhospitable to plants, rendering the land worthless for years."

This is baseless scare tactics, and listing the 'could be' outcomes of any scenario is a useless endeavor.

"The clean up for a nuclear accident can be quite costly and time consuming, so TRN recommends compliance with Refract Valley personnel in avoiding the threat until it is properly contained."

I appreciate the recommendation with compliance with our personnel, but because we have Novas working in our Valley and because we build our buildings with prefabricated pieces, it will be quite easy to disassemble and remove what was contaminated. Cost means nothing when it comes to the safety of our citizens.

"This sort of intrusion of safety is what many Refract citizens were concerned about, and this incident is a startling look into the true situation that the colony is in. Is Refract truly safe, as it seems? It remains to be seen."

The use of 'many' is a gross overstatement, and only one citizen has complained to me about safety, the other went to the news without any type of communication. My citizens should know, after they observed the nearly instantaneous changes in safety measures in the High Rise apartments, that if you talk to me about safety I will fix it. The citizen attacked, Aure, was attacked in his own place of business, in the Outer Zone, where it is explicitly explained that our enforcers do not generally venture. If he did not do enough to secure his own place of business against violence, that is not on the Valley.

Citizens, if you should have questions or concerns for your safety or the safety of your belongings and home in Refract Valley, we invite you once again to communicate with us.

We should have the affected building removed by the end of the week, but for now continue with your usual activities. It's perfectly safe to walk by, just don't enter. We've locked the doors and are going to be boarding the entrance presently.

-Raybina Primfeather (MamaRay)

1 person likes this.
  2. MaximumRose

MaximumRose Member

UPDATE:

The affected building has since been removed and the area has been checked twice in the week since for radioactivity. It is entirely negative. Should anyone suspect any issues, connected or otherwise to this event, please contact the Refract Valley staff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.