1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Help! Why is starbound barely playable all of a sudden?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Iridium616, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

First things first, I'm just back from a half a year long hiatus, so needless to say I've missed many of the starbound updates.
    However, I used to be able to run the game just fine. It was very fluid, and I rarely if at all had any serious FPS drop/slowdown issues.

Now, however, and perhaps because of some recent update, I can only barely play. It usually takes me three attempts to get into the server, because it keeps disconnecting me 'due to inactivity' (Which means that I take too long to connect and the server thinks I've crashed. :/); and I can barely type. I have to type my posts in notepad and THEN copy-paste me into the chat box, because the speed at which starbound runs is just not enough for me to be able to even type properly. What's more, other users have also noticed these issues on the characters I play, which would move erratically because of these FPS drops/lag.

I have a 3 year old laptop, which has also made me think that it might be because of my computer; However, it wouldn't explain why I've been able to play it in the past with no issues whatsoever, and now I can barely play. My computer is the same, that's for sure, so something must have changed in the game.

Oh, and I've already done my fair share of googling, and tried out several 'fixes' which couldn't solve these issues.

TL;DR Starbound used to run just great, but now it's really slow to the point of being nigh unplayable at times. (It's /really/ nasty in my ship, for some reason. And it isn't the save's fault either, I've deleted my shipworld file several times and it's solved nothing.)

Does anyone know how to tackle these issues?

2. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

I doubt it's the age of your computer, seeing as I'm running a 4-6 year old PC with only a few replaced parts.

Unfortunately, I don't really have an answer for how to fix this, just thought I'd contribute my message.

3. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

I dunno about now, but in previous versions having vsync enabled had huge hits on framerate. To disable this, you gotta go into your starbound config file, which can be found in: \Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\storage. Once you've navigated there, you'll be looking for a config file named "Starbound". Open that up with notepad and press ctrl+F to open up the search function. Type "vsync" into the box that pops up and it should take you right to the vsync entry, which should read as true. Simply change that value over to false, all lowercase, and save the file. That should disable vsync and hopefully help on frames.

4. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

That's one of the fixes I've tried, I'm afraid, and while it's not as bad as it used to be (Previously it was completely unplayable, now I can play, even if I struggle to) the issue is far from fixed.
    Thanks however!