1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

A Suggestion for Colonies

Discussion in 'Concerns and Suggestions' started by CouchPotato360, Aug 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. CouchPotato360

CouchPotato360 Last Man Standing

Hey, I had an idea recently, and I feel like it would make a fair bit of sense considering how vast space is and how difficult it would be to have colones SO far apart from one another. Why not instead of making all the different colonies so ridiculously far apart from each other, such as at coordinates like -
    y: 30324103210505505005 x: 5
    We put them in the same systems or same set of systems? If you're concerned about losing all of your progress on a colony you've already started building, fear not, as the staff is able to take planets and move them to coordinates of your choosing, nothing is at risk of being lost. I just think it would be more believable to have the colonies, or a portion of them in closer proximity to one another, which would allow for more open trade and interaction.

1 person likes this.
  2. Leschinsky

Leschinsky Bohemic Tendencies

I dig it!
    Even sticking to low end coord numbers like y:(3digits) x:(4digits) keeps people pre'close.
    (And makes getting to them a whole spoonful easier).
    I second this plan tho.

3. Starbound_Selvia

Starbound_Selvia New Member

I agree, it'd be nice to keep colonies close together, maybe even share a planet as a public farm that everyone maintains?

4. EvDo

EvDo Man with accent

It makes no sense. In reality suitable exoplanets are thousands of light years apart. It would make sense to colonize the department system with a large number of planets, as several of the planets, in theory, can be stored in the "living zone" of the star system. And planet not in the zone can be terraformed. Also, if the system contains gas giants, it is likely their companions can be terraformed. Ie in the same system can be from five to about twenty individual planets-states, with their own laws and trade paths.
    Hmm...
    Idea borned in my head. Maybe one of the systems set up such a scheme?

5. CouchPotato360

CouchPotato360 Last Man Standing

In reality there are no races of sapient bird men.

Obviously in Starbound habitable planets are immensely more numerous than how they are in reality, that much is true, but if we start nit picking details like this why don't we just go hardcore sci fi then? If absolutely imperative, we can say one such system or set of systems has been selected just for this occasion.

6. EvDo

EvDo Man with accent

LIE!
    Well, maybe I'm just a bore :p. But why do the planets close to each other? Why can not we make a direct gate quickly move from planet to planet, which will not require fuel costs, and for exploring the galaxy just need to fuel? A typical example is the game X3.