1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

1.0 Looks Awesome

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jetniss, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Jetniss

Jetniss New Member

I know it's controversial here and all, and that's okay.

I've been rummaging through the patch notes for quite a while and looking at all the content and I'm fond of it. I'm not bitter towards Chuckle and I am not so attached to whatever lore used to exist (or what lore didn't exist that lore had to be made up in its place) that I've developed a hatred for the new lore.

I like all of it. I encourage everyone to wipe their eyes clean and take a refreshing look at what it has to offer. Can't wait to get going with this new stuff, and the possible events that can be made with it. Their quests/missions, and the accompanying content of it-- as well as their polished systems will make running settlements and creating plot lines much easier, at least for me.

Long story short-- I'm psyched.

2. WholesomeBURN

WholesomeBURN New Member

Likewise.

3. Aiko

Aiko The Coolest Cat

Essentially none of the 'new' lore will be used on the server.

4. Jetniss

Jetniss New Member

There is no need to repeat that.
    Regardless, I think it's better than most people think.

I simply said all their lore that they've added has given way to new assets for general use which can make for some interesting plots.
    (And people really should consider giving the lore a fair shot instead of clinging to what there is now)

5. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

Right, uh. I'll say it for probably the millionth time. The Terran Protectorate is just plain bad. Presuming all the races of the universe would come together to be allied is just plain stupid. Not only that, but the introduction of the Terran Protectorate would change or straight up void interactions on the server concerning the United Systems and characters that hailed from the United Systems territory. It's not worth it to give the new lore concerning the Terran Protectorate a fair shot because it would quite literally void a fair portion of pre-existing server lore. As for other parts of the new vanilla lore I have not particularly read up on, so I will refrain from making further comments on anything except the Terran Protectorate until I have gotten caught up.

#5 CaptainBritton02, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2016
  6. Jetniss

Jetniss New Member

You should catch up then, and you can't call their lore bad just because it doesn't agree with the lore you've built up because their lore wasn't ready.

That is literally--

"Well we started doing it our way, and since their way isn't our way, it sucks."

And no, it isn't stupid for several sentient species to want to cooperate-- because a species is most often not a hivemind that all shares a single thought process-- nor is it true that an entire species will agree on one thing. To say it is inconceivable and stupid that a unified faction can emerge in the midst of such a vast universe is fallacious and childish-- and it's annoying for people to constantly promote that idea and use it in such an unfair criticism of the game. There are people who desire peace and cooperation on every side, and those people contributed greatly to the creation of the Terran Protectorate-- this does not mean every last living creature in the galaxy, every last active member of each species, follows suit and supports the Protectorate.

Edit:
    Furthermore-- Ignoring the current lore and ignoring the protectorate will only serve to further alienate future roleplayers who come to the server seeking to follow the story of the newly released Starbound.

Early Access and Beta is over-- and if there's an influx of players, you can expect them to want to follow suit. If it's so much of a problem, maybe there should be a wipe and reset-- but I mean, it's not hard to work protectorate into things.

But none of that is here nor there-- this thread is simple-- 1.0 looks awesome. It's well done so far. And I don't miss my old character's hair-- it has pushed me to help me develop their story and appearance further.

#6 Jetniss, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2016
  7. Gorbachev

Gorbachev New Member

The thing is though, the Terrene Protectorate, while it may be okay, it pales in comparison to the earlier lore of the game. From what I can remember of the lore early on in the game, it was vibrant and unique. We had six fascinating species, each with their own quirks and traits. These six species made the game interesting and unique, it gave it a cool atmosphere that I frankly don't get from the Terrene Protectorate. With the TR, I just feel everything has been put into this cookie-cutter pan-galactic sci fi trope that follows in the vein of Star Trek with the Federation, or Battlestar Galactica with the 13 Colonies (or whatever they're called.)

My point is: The TR is bland compared to the unique lore we got from earlier on in the development.

Also, concerning how you think that if we don't accept the TR then we'll slowly die from within, I disagree. I think that this will root out the RPers who want to join just to live out their idea of "BEING A LOYAL TR SOLDIER BLACK SPEC OPS GUY", and instead we'll get people who want a different experience lore-wise than what the vanilla game offers them. Just a thought.

8. Caws

Caws birb

I'm probably rewording old points made about the Terrene Protectorate and 1.0 in general, but, this is my opinion.

In my opinion, the Protectorate is just a stupid idea. It's the generic good guy faction with fancy tech and a stupid way to hand out matter manipulators. "Oh, you gotta graduate to get this ultimate tool that can utterly destroy worlds with the click of a button!" Like, seriously. Who trusts anyone with that sort of tech? It also doesn't smooth out the explanation for why you have a matter manipulator pre-1.0. Before 1.0, there was no mention about this galactic generic goody-two-shoes faction meant for some purpose that Chucklefish won't say because of lack of creativity and stupidity or just the fact that they came up with this very, very quickly in time for 1.0. To put it bluntly, the TR (even though it's Terrene Protectorate and should be TP) are an alright concept. It was just executed very, very poorly and needs polishing in pretty much all areas.

However, I can agree with you in terms of 1.0 looking nice. If you can get past the abhorrent lore which makes no sense (other than the 'Cultivator' and 'The Ruin', which I think they explained pretty nicely) and focus on the new and reworked gameplay mechanics and aesthetics, then, yes. It does look nice. I wouldn't and would never say awesome. In fact, I believe that they simply made the game worse in terms of lore and removing important features, such as planet chat, which I will always be salty about until they re-add it. Adding steam workshop is also a not very okay thing to me unless the mods are clientside, which they probably aren't. If somebody finds the server with 'playable dicks xDDDDDDDD' installed, then, there's really nothing we can do about it. 1.0 as a whole feels like it was rushed for more profit with less features than beta Starbound.

I'm a very salty asshole when it comes to Chucklefish.

9. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Some of it will, the Protectorate won't, but some of it will.

10. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

The Terrene Protectorate is DEAD at the start of the game anyway, it's been dead for 8 years, even if it were canon, it wouldn't be used. So we don't alienate our players if we say that in our server canon the singleplayer campaign isn't canon and the TP doesn't exist.

11. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Puts the Coo in Cool

I like 1.0's assets. They are a nice addition.

But, why did they remove so much for 1.0? Why couldn't they leave it in? 1.0 may be all shiny and new, but I feel like starbound lost it's soul in the process.

...I won't mention lore because you can probably guess my stance on that.

12. RufflesPB

RufflesPB New Member

Yeah, why did they remove planet and universe chat? That seemed like something they should've kept in 1.0.

13. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

[​IMG]

14. Krug

Krug New Member

May I suggest a compromise? Using aspects of the Terrene Protectorate without incorporating all of its lore would be best for both parties, I believe. The Protectorate was essentially shattered anyway. Maybe make them remnants of the Earth Government with outposts about. When they fell (input number of years) the galaxy fractured and smaller groups began splitting up space (The Council, for example). That way, the assets don't go to waste, we get more enthusiastic new players, and we don't need to throw out all of our existing lore.

15. RufflesPB

RufflesPB New Member

Oh. The plugin. Right. Oops.

16. Doc

Doc Video Game Extraordinaire

That would still fuck our lore up considerably. In our lore, Earth's Government was largely functional through the United Systems, AKA the USAF, USCM, etc. If we suddenly say the Protectorate was a major power on Earth, that changes things considerably.

17. Krug

Krug New Member

Would they? I always thought it was a little bit of a stretch that the armed forces controlled everything a government needs to do on Earth. Taxes? Public Works? Paving the roads? Water lines? Sure, it'd take some work, but I think they can both fit in the same continuity with relatively little work.

18. WholesomeBURN

WholesomeBURN New Member

Well the way I took it was that essentially earth was worried about it's protection first and everything running it's protection second, so they kinda united under a massive government body that was so focused on the security of earth and it's people that it seemed that the armed forces controlled everything.

19. Doc

Doc Video Game Extraordinaire

The United Systems was not the USAF. The United Systems was the governmental body. Much like how the US Government is the, well, government of the USA, but the United States Armed Forces are the military. Same government, but the governmental body and military are two separate entities.

20. Krug

Krug New Member

I wasn't thinking about that, my apologies, but my point still stands. The Protectorate and United Systems aren't mutually exclusive. Think of The Protectorate as a well-armed American Red Cross. They're mostly consisting of Humans due to them being based on Earth so their home base being destroyed is even more of a blow to them than the United Systems who have powerhouse locations outside off of Earth. the Protectorate, meanwhile, has small refugee camps and outposts off of Earth, but they pail in comparison. I don't think including Protectorate Lore would harm RP in any way if done properly. On the contrary.