1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Goodbye Antares

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Kazyyk, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Hello, Antarans.

This isn't easy for me to say, so I'm just going to be blunt about it.
    I'm leaving Antares.

My support for Antares is over, but don't worry, Antares itself is not.
    I am succeeded by @Angre, who I will be transferring ownership to.

It's been a wild ride. There's been drama, action, thrills, sadness. Overall, I had a good time.
    Two years. Two years of running Antares, and I'd say that's a good run. I'm sorry to end it now.
    However, my commitment to Antares has always been one of quality, and let's be honest, it's no secret:
    I've been failing to honor that commitment for the last few months, maybe even longer.
    The truth is simple, if not sobering: I'm too tired and too busy. I can't keep up anymore.

So, I've finally decided to stop holding Antares back and pass the torch.
    Give the reigns to someone with more motivation and inspiration than I.
    I know that over these last two years, I haven't been in touch with you, the community. For that, I'm sorry.
    Many of you have wondered why I wasn't getting involved. I would usually say it was to prevent bias.
    That's not untrue - but bias can't be helped. It's a part of all of us. We're judging creatures.
    I will admit that I simply did not want to play on my own server, because I didn't enjoy Starbound roleplay.

I've been spoiled by my past with Neverwinter Nights. I couldn't adjust to a 2D sidescroller for roleplay.
    So you might be wondering why I started Antares at all. Well, I'll tell you that I used to enjoy it.
    Antares was a work of passion, and it wasn't the roleplay that excited me, but the administration of it all.
    Providing something excellent, a quality server, a quality website, and making it the best it could possibly be.
    However, I know now that you can't lead a community without being a part of it also.

As for how things progressed, well...
    The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

I quickly became exhausted, and my administration suffered heavily because of it.
    I've hurt people, friends, that I never meant to hurt - but that's not what this post is about.
    Being an administrator of a popular server... it's a challenge. It takes it's toll.
    I've made both right and wrong decisions, and all I can do is learn by them and let them shape me and my decisions in the future.

Antares, I loved you. I still do. You were the best, and I tried real hard.
    I'm sad to let you go, but I don't want to see you fail because of me.

Goodbye, Antares.
    - Kazyyk

370 people like this.
  2. Doc

Doc Video Game Extraordinaire

Goodbye Kaz. Thanks for all the fun times, we promise to keep this place afloat with you gone. I'll beat Angre otherwise.

3. Havel

Havel New Member

Bye Kaz. I haven't been here long enough to know you better, but you've given me a great impression from what I can tell. Have a nice ride from here buddy.

4. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

In the 2 years and 3 months this server has been running you have kept this community running smoothly, even through loss of enjoyment in SBRP and sleepless nights. Goodbye Kaz.

5. Train

Train New Member

92 people like this.
  6. Julius Mayne

Julius Mayne Member

Words do not begin to describe how I feel about this.

7. Slyff

Slyff New Member

Goodbye Kaz, where ever and what ever you go and do, hopefully you enjoy it just as much as you did when you started this.

8. Redwilt

Redwilt Washed up has been

My lengthy graveyard of characters salute you. Be well.

9. Karo

Karo New Member

Goodbye Kaz. Thanks for everything

10. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Later Kaz. Do you best in what ever you are doing. Also who is handling the raffle stuff last months and this months?

#10 Yotan, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2016
  11. Raideck

Raideck Member

Godspeed you beautiful Kobold bastard.

12. Coldmaj

Coldmaj Member

bye
    'u'

13. pLuToNiuM

pLuToNiuM New Member

Thank you Kazyyk. For your time and effort.

14. Froot

Froot OH SO VERY NICE

Kaz, it's not your fault Antares is dying. I put this in the chat, so I'll put it here, for all to see my two cents on why you're not as directly to blame as it may seem to you.
    I talked to my dad about it because I'll be honest, hearing that you were going was depressing (told you about that I believe) and this is what he told me.
    So. He told me about the games industry. More specifically, the indie industry. Indie games come left right and center 24/7, often small, and never seen. Starbound, much like its brother-in-arms Terraria, got famous purely by chance. Thus, lots of people played it, and kept playing it, leading to rises of Antares, OE, ilovebacons and the like. Every game, eventually, will die out, lose its fifteen minutes of fame. I suppose this is simply the point at which Starbound loses its fifteen minutes, and people are moving on to newer things that people are still playing. We move on constantly, and Starbound is simply too out of the loop to redeem itself.
    If the game dies, it'll take its community with it. Or what happens more often is that the community will abandon ship before it sinks beneath the waves without a trace, much like Starbound most certainly is doing.

92 people like this.
  15. Shag

Shag High Impact Sexual Implications

Good night sweet prince, you will be remembered!

16. JohnShadow

JohnShadow "Now you're all alone, little Caroline."

Kazyyk, I didn't know you that well, but I knew you were a good person, and I know you'll be missed by many in this community, including myself. I think I can speak for most, if not all of us when I say we will miss you and we hope you enjoy whatever you decide to do now. Goodbye Kazyyk.

17. Corvus

Corvus New Member

You will be missed, Kazyyk. Goodbye.

18. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

I'll see you around on steam for sure, pals forever!
    But first of all, thank you for creating Antares. Its a wonderful community and I am looking forward in how it will turn out with Angre at the helm.

19. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

We don't need starbound to stay a community.
    While it is true, that most of us have started participating less and less in starboundRP, i still regularly chat with people from antares.

Kaz, the time I've spent here was really enjoyable and afaik you were a pretty good guy.
    Not perfect, but pretty great. You cared and that's what's most important.

I hope you'll fare well in life.

20. KillerWaves

KillerWaves New Member

Good bye Kaz, Hear come the tears.......