1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

A Combined-Theme Hub

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by DeltaV, Jan 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DeltaV

DeltaV New Member

As you probably know, there's a big issue on the server right now with players being spread out across all sorts of planets, many of them not even public.

I have an idea on how to fix this.

Once upon a time, before Chucklefish started adding very popularly-demanded features, there was exactly one place that you could beam down into on a planet. Now, however, this has changed. With the plopping-down of a teleporter or a flag, you can beam to wherever you want. This includes having multiple 'waypoints', if you will, on one planet.

So imagine a planet divided into various themed parts -- one on which any type of character could have the combined experience of relaxing in a central hub when they want, as well as going off to interact with people playing similarly-themed characters. When you beam down for the first time, you might find yourself in a 'central station' of sorts. It would have all the generic human-ish amenities that you expect from a colony -- a bar, a club, maybe a park, some apartments. There would always be people here to interact with; we all love ourselves some BaRP, after all.

But now you turn, and you begin to head east. Suddenly, you find yourself on the edge of a rustic Glitch town! Within, overzealous medieval robot-knights spar for sport, shouting comically-outdated expletives. And as you continue to head around the planet, now you find yourself at a Floran tribe, where the more traditional characters can hunt and cook and live their lives in peace. And then the path turns downwards, and you move through an underwater Hylotl habitation area. And then a frontier-style Novakid town, and an Avian temple, and a robust Apex apartment building, until finally you find yourself back at the central hub.

This separate-but-not-separate style of planet would have a number of benefits. First of all, it would mean that all types of characters would have a reason to be together and interacting on one planet. Secondly, it allows for the more 'lore-friendly' themed characters (such as feral Florans or medieval Glitch or Flightless Avians) to integrate into the general server population, able to interact with one another while also mixing with everyone else at the main hub.

There's one more benefit: Everyone being on the same planet leads to bunches more RP. None of us like to admit it, but it happens: you beam down, you don't see anyone in the planetary chat, you log off. If everyone was gathered in a central planet, this would not be an issue.

Furthermore, such a thing even makes sense with our server lore! Council Space is supposed to be made up of a council of every race, so why wouldn't they try to build all-inclusive settlements?

Leave your thoughts, criticisms, blatant insults, joyous compliments, thrown poop, etc. below.

92 people like this.
  2. Caws

Caws birb

I think this is honestly a good idea. No other thoughts from me, though.

3. Train

Train New Member

i agree with Delta, we should have at least some form of all-race hub, instead of a no-race hub, mostly because there are 7 races, and the what comes to mind when someone does a "no race hub" ends up being a human hub.

4. Havel

Havel New Member

One of the problems I see about getting everyone into the same space would be to have a crowded chat where it's very hard to find the messages of the people you're RPing with. Maybe having somewhere like a Central Station with teleporters to major settlements, I don't know. It's just that having more than 10 people RP all at the same time already gets confusing on the chat.

5. DeltaV

DeltaV New Member

That is a problem, and I think it could be largely solved by putting in some serious restrictions to OOC chatter on the planet when too many people are on. In any case it's probably better to have too much RP visible than too little.

6. Havel

Havel New Member

I was really talking about IC chatter. Yesterday at Ragnarok we had about five people in a room and four people in the arena. Two of them were fighting, and it was already very hard to track the messages in the chat, you know. So, when lots of people RP in the same planet, it gets like that.

7. FoRgE

FoRgE Whack-A-Yak-5

You'll be happy to know that I have been discussing this idea with @Smokestack, I feel its a good idea and has many possibilities and as such both I and @Smokestack will continue to explore ideas to how to get everyone on one colony and keep them from disappearing into the far beyond of ClosetRP.

8. Yotan

Yotan New Member

I think this is an awesome idea. Granted it would be neat to see the floran tribe living in large trees over another race below them with a mutual trade agreement or provide protection, etc. I would also like to see the separate areas have different styles of architecture/design from each other with a bit of blending at the edges of each areas to keep up the separate yet not separate theme.