1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Uwajima Feedback

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by Clem, May 13, 2015.

1. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

Am I doing something wrong wrong to make it appeal to people?
    Or something else?

Let me know and I'll try to remedy it.
    Colony forums are under request for the pages I had up previously.

2. Wreth

Wreth New Member

I'll be honest a Japanese style glitch colony is weird when there is already a race in the game based upon Japanese culture, and glitch are associated with medieval European culture.

3. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

Alright.
    But the culture created where my Glitch was inspired from is as close as it can be on feudal Japanese culture. I thought to make it more open and less pacifist as well. Since Hylotl are pacifist in nature in a general sense.

Not trying to defend a special snowflake status or anything. Its that the connection that Glitch are based on medieval culture I thought that it would be possible for a free Glitch to adopt a culture that appeals to him.

4. Yotan

Yotan New Member

I think your main issue is Dexter's Garden, as it is also a japanese styled colony. Frankly I like Uwjima setup a bit more, I know Fern likes the food :p.

5. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

Dexter's Garden is more Avian. But they use the Hylotl roofing tilels too.

6. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Interesting. Never really noticed it being more avian, but obviously the roofing tiles throw me off. Bunch of dirty birdies, fooling people.

7. Tallen

Tallen New Member

Dexter's Garden was initially a place built by a hylotl family who accepted an avian botanist. She passed it over to her friends who moved to add their own things while trying to keep it's spirit intact. There are more traditional avian buildings to the far right as a result.

8. Gustwood

Gustwood New Member

Alright, let's get this back on the rails. This is my view on your whole ordeal, take it as you will.

A problem I see right off the bat is that the whole ordeal is already built. All the buildings are already there. From what I've seen, people want to live in homes that they constructed. I could be wrong, though. It also seems to hinder the organic flow of how colonies grow and such when everything is already set out. You have the entire planet built upon, and I find it to be rather overwhelming.

A second problem is that it is too darn big. The main building is just massive. There really isn't a set point of congregation in the colony. It's just too busy and large. Take Katune for example: Everyone was at the bar. I am aware that you have a bar, but it's buried within that massive building, and very hard to find. I'd try to make it more apparent, perhaps even going as far as building another structure devoted to the purpose entirely.

Last thing that I suggest you consider: What does your colony have to offer? Why would people go there? I am aware that Shiro can forge swords and armor, but I don't think I have seen advertisements for his services. (Do not quote me on that.) Perhaps you could offer fighting courses in traditional Glitch fashion. I'm sure people would hit on that, and hopefully lead to more activity on your planet. Once again, I could be absolutely wrong on all of this. It's just my two cents.

9. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

Thanks Gustwood. It'll help out. But I'm going to need some help finding spots for these buildings then. Maybe also create some plots for people to build small houses. But I am sometimes poor in building planning, so help in this would be appreciated.

10. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

Anyone interested in helping to convert Uwajima from Glitch Samurai to a 100% Hylotl colony?
    I know its kinda radical but I'm out of ideas myself and I dont want to give it up, want to turn into a memorable place still.

11. CouchPotato360

CouchPotato360 Last Man Standing

This is my two cents, do with it what you will, but I've noticed there aren't a lot of Hylotl characters that I've seen. That may be part of the reason why it isn't super popular, or perhaps it's the population mentality. Nobody's there so nobody else ever visits, and it's not actively advertised(to my knowledge.)

12. Davarpe

Davarpe New Member

I suggest you try to see what the server seeks (Like more spaces for illegal/legal stuff, places for food, places for materials, jobs, houses?) and attempt to make it, no too big, like, we are normally from 5 to 30 people (At least that is what i have seen) that will rarely stay at the same time, so make spaces thinking that the bigger population they may have will be like, 15 in the best of the cases? So make spaces that will held 4-8 people together feeling not claustrophobia, attempting to grab the interest they do have. Also, it usually also help the fact to spawn near the interest point, so think about making those things near the spawn point!

That is at least my oppinion, or the way i would approach the problem, hope that you get lucky with that, because i really liked Uwajima (Yet i felt it too big for this server).

13. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

Thanks for the advice!

Its stretched out not all knit together, because I got all this space and even tons of more space on the planet. Even a nearby planet to settle. So I made use of that to create the illusion it's massive, while in reality it isnt. I wanted to give people space so they could enjoy cozy and small atmospheres instead it feeling crowded.

I'm gonna rebuild Hanako Ryokan into two seperate buildings but I'm still working it out.how to do it design-wise.

14. ituner14

ituner14 New Member

Advertise it on the radio more often.