1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

[5/19/2015] Rules Update

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Kazyyk, May 19, 2015.

?

Do you approve of this Rules Update?

Poll closed May 26, 2015.
  1. Yes, I approve

69.4%
  2. Yes, though I have some reservations

24.5%
  3. No, however they may be acceptable with some adjustment

6.1%
  4. No, I disapprove

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

In this rules update, the following rules have been added to Starbound:

• PVP: All battles must be fought with equal consequence to both sides. Example: If you wish to permanently kill someone else's character from the outcome of a fight, your character must also be eligible for the same possible outcome. Powergaming to avoid these deaths will be punished extensively.
    • PVP: You must grant/deny permission for character death BEFORE an engagement takes place. You may not change this circumstance later (such as in the middle of the battle if it seems you are losing).

2. Mazékial

Mazékial New Member

So, in other words, if one character consents to possible death, the opponent(s) also have to consent to possible death.

So you can't have one guy consenting to possible death while the other is perfectly "safe" in a fight, resulting in an automatic advantage for the "safe" guy.

Is my understanding correct?

3. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

I have a big problem with this one. Not every character is equal but this would reduce any IC skill to a meaningless bit of backstory.

If you mean that if you want to kill someone then you both need to consent to a possible player kill or neither do, you've kind of worded it poorly. Currently it reads like if you want to kill someone, you also have to die, because death would be the consequence for one character and therefore the equal for you. I'd suggest something like this, that may better emphasis that it's more a case of both people consenting to death as an outcome rather than both reaching the same, equal outcome:

PVP: All battles must be fought with equal possibility. Example: If you wish to permanently kill someone else's character as the outcome of a fight, your character will also be eligible for death as a possible outcome, otherwise neither character will be eligible. Powergaming to avoid these deaths will be punished extensively.

Tell me to shut up if I'm full of shit though.

4. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Yes

EDIT: Twitch made a good statement about it here

I think it's worded okay, may require a bit of thought but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

#4 Kazyyk, May 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  5. Mazékial

Mazékial New Member

Alright. Fully ok with this. Makes perfect sense to me, though like Awe said you probaby should adjust the wording to be more clear.

6. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

If people would read beyond the first sentence of the rule, their concern would be alleviated. It's written fairly clearly in the example as to what the intent behind the rule is.

7. Mazékial

Mazékial New Member

Oh yes, I agree. That's why I posted to clarify details

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

It means simply if you go into a firefight or fight to the death intending to kill someone, you will also run the risk of permanent death. Sounds clear to me.

9. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Less about willingness and more about intent.

If your character is actively making attempts to kill a character, they are eligible to the potential that they may also die in that encounter.

In an encounter with non-lethal fighting. just because you may be willing to consent to death does not mean the other player has to, as they are not attempting to kill your character.

10. Rezima

Rezima New Member

In pvp you should be fair, reasonable and you should not try to trick your opponent into doing something they wish to avoid.

To be extremely blunt, don't be a dick about it and fight fair, we shouldn't have to babysit fights because someone can't play nice.

11. Wreth

Wreth New Member

What if you're entire race's fighting style involves not fighting fair and using dirty and cheap tactics? Just warn them OOC?

12. Rezima

Rezima New Member

Don't be a dick about it, this is an extremely simple concept, conduct yourself in a sportsmanlike manner OOC

13. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

This rule is not about combat IC. This rule is purely an OOC rule. Basically, if you attack someone with an intent to kill, or intend to kill someone through your actions, you can likewise be killed. If the battle turns against you halfway through, you cannot say "I do not consent to death."

Likewise, if you DO intend to kill someone, you HAVE to tell them prior to the fight that that is your intent, so that you don't have them cornered and down and then ask them for consent when they have little logical choice in the matter.

14. Boz0

Boz0 New Member

So, by IC combat we mean typing our combat actions and such, right? Because if it's the kind where it's literally just guns blazing at each other in some sort of weird tournament deathmatch style arena...thing, then that'll take forever with all the modded armors and 1 hit kill guns.

15. Rezima

Rezima New Member

We mean typing out your actions and reacting to others in a fair way. We don't really care about the stats and numbers of whatever equipment you use, what matters is how you roleplay.