1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Antares Universe Changes + A Special Donation Reward

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Kazyyk, Apr 7, 2015.

?

Regenerate the Universe?

Poll closed Apr 14, 2015.
  1. Sure

90.4%
  2. No thanks

9.6%
  1. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Hello Antarans!

Antares Universe Changes
    I'm here with another announcement, this time to talk about our universe. The Antares universe.
    I've been spending my time tinkering with Starbound lately and there's a few neat things I discovered we could do with our universe:
    • Change all System prefixes to "Antares"
    • Reduce the size of the Universe (smaller coord numbers)
    • Remove lore-unfriendly and immersion-breaking dungeons
    • Create custom and unique lore-friendly dungeons
    • Edit the Outpost to remove NPCs and make it larger and "better"
    • Change the starting planet to an Outpost Gateway (which would be in line with potential lore)
    • Add custom names to the system names list
    Most of these would require the universe to be regenerated to truly be effective, however.
    Don't panic. It's easy for us to backup everything, wipe the worlds, and put all the important things back.
    My question to you is: Would you like/mind if this is something we moved forward with?
    Custom Outpost and Dungeons would take some time to create and wouldn't necessarily be ready by the time the universe is regenerated, but it's definitely something we'd be interested in doing.
    All in all the entire process would take a few hours. We'd have schedule downtime in advance for it.

A Special Donation Reward
    Now that the above has been mentioned, I want to take a moment to talk about our donations and a special reward for a certain tier. Since our donations are slacking a bit, I thought I'd offer more incentive a little by offering a new cool reward.

[​IMG]

If you donate for the Iron tier ($20) and up* you can submit a name** that'll get added into the list of names that the game server draws from when it generates a new system.***
    All donor submitted names have 200% more priority to generate than default names.****
    If there ever is an issue with donor name flooding (which there shouldn't be, but random is random) then the values may be tweaked in the future.
    This would be sweetened further if the universe were regenerated, as your submitted name would have another shot at showing up closer to home, so that's something to think about if you're interested.

* Existing donors are also eligible. Contact us for your submission.
    ** To Be Approved
    *** Use the Staff Conversation Starter link to validate your donation and have your submission evaluated.
    **** Chances of having your submission generated as a system name is approximately 1 in 55

#1 Kazyyk, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2015
  2. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

I like it.

3. Dodec1

Dodec1 New Member

As long as colony's worlds and things like that can be backed up and replaced, I think its a good idea.

4. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

I don't really see a downside. The outpost would be a great place for people to get together when they're not BaRPin'. It'd be a nice little trade hub or something.

6. Shade743

Shade743 Hooded Nice-Guy

I'd like this. Hell, I've even already got a System-Name ready for you.

7. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

I'd be up for this, sure. I'd also be up for helping build a better outpost. Though I'd probably suggest keeping the npcs in as they give quests that some people might want to do (maybe).

8. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

You can't build on the Outpost like a normal planet. It's treated like a dungeon.
    You need a text editor and a photo editor to build on the Outpost.

9. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

Oh dang, I thought admins could build there at least. Alright then.

10. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Awesome, sounds like we have some great potential ahead of us.

11. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Which dungeons and are immersion breaking and lore unfriendly?

12. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I'dunno yet, haven't checked.
    Antares is recently discovered space, so ancient Avian temples, for example, really shouldn't be there.

13. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Actually it kind of does make sense.

Avian civilisation has a very long history and avians once had a great civilisation spread across the stars. However at one point in Avian history there was a great withdrawal where all of Avian civilisation returned to their homeworld.

After discovering intelligent alien life however the avians began to once again returned to the stars and begin reclaiming their long forgotten temples and such.

The current avian government is different to the old one so they would have to re-discover Antares even if avians had been there thousands of years before.

14. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Sure, there's ways to make up extended explanations, but that's not the direction I want to go with Antares lore.

15. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Is Antares going to be just a sector of space or its own nebula?

16. Wreth

Wreth New Member

It's just that I feel exploring ancient tombs filled with traps to get treasure is a good roleplay scenario.

17. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Something like that. I want it to be somewhat isolated from the rest of civilized space, but not so much to where new travelers wouldn't feasibly arrive. It should be a region of space that is still developing itself. This will allow the players to kind of mold it a bit.

18. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Waaat? Isn't there a command to disable tileprotection on a dungeon? In the current unstable the Outpost is labeled as uniqueworld: outpost. So maybe we can disable tileprotection outpost ?

19. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Perhaps there is an ion storm, or some kind of spacial rift that ends up causing people to accidentally end up here.

20. meanwhile

meanwhile drunk cyberpunk catgirl

A really big space magnet pulled ships in.