1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

There any way to make weapons appear on a character's back with StarCheat?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Destroyer713, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Destroyer713

Destroyer713 New Member

AKA: How do I get weapons sheathed on a character like this?
    [​IMG]

Basically, I want to know if there's any way to get weapon sprites to appear as if they are strapped to the back of a character. I don't think you can do this with regular weapon editing in Starcheat, as the weapon would probably just appear to be on the front of the character's torso when facing one way or the other. I also don't think you can just replace the sprite of a back item, as I don't see anything in StarCheat that would let you do that besides editing the inventory icon.

Anyone happen to have any ideas on how to accomplish this?

2. Aegis Ebonwing

Aegis Ebonwing New Member

Theoretically, each item has a string that points to an image file that it then uses to display.

I attempted to change the sleeves of the clothing I wore last night, but to no avail.. but you may be able to do it with a back item.

All you would need to do is load up StarCheat, double click the back item in question, find the location of the image file that you want it to look like.. and post it into the respective male/female Frames section.. but it has a high probability of not working, as weapon images are simply just that of the weapon, and the frame file often contains multiple frames for animations.. it is theoretical however that adding a "/items/weapons/weaponwanted/weaponwanted.png:0" could rectify it by having the item not animated by pointing to frame zero.. but that is just a theory.. and a lot of custom code is not working properly.

3. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

It's somewhat simple, but there are quite a few steps. Recreate the weapon as a melee weapon by copy/pasting the original's drawables. Then, rotate the weapon ninety degrees. Once done, adjust the weapon's hand position so that it's in the desired position on the back, switch the weapon to one handed (this will prevent your character's arm from swinging when you move which looks kinda awkward, but there's no real other option that I know of), and then change the weapon's fire speed to something ridiculously low in Starcheat, so that it can't be fired. This way, you won't accidentally swing it like a sword. Finally, change directional to false, and save the weapon. It should now be finished. If there are any issues, feel free to send me a PM, I may have been a little unclear here, or forgotten a step or two, as it's been awhile.

4. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

Like Angre said, the best way is to just remake it as a melee weapon with the weapons drawable, and then mess with the positioning. I'm pretty sure theres no way to customize armor to use other png's than the ones coded in unless they add random generated armor, so re-spriting a back item is a nono. Technically, its possible to redraw the png for a back item to fit your needs, but it would be strictly clientside and would show up to everyone else as whatever you truly have on your back.

5. Aegis Ebonwing

Aegis Ebonwing New Member

Which we all want stuff that is viewable by others too, right? Or else you will have those awkward moments where you are running through a colony with blade in hand, when on your screen it is on your back.

Edit: Sorry, my brain is stuck on using holdable weapons as back items.

#5 Aegis Ebonwing, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2015
  6. Solour

Solour a dad

Yeah, It appears the same for all parties. It's a very, /very/ useful tool.

7. Fiery Wither Rose

Fiery Wither Rose TheOneMute

8. Destroyer713

Destroyer713 New Member

For the record, I'm wanting to do this with a large, blunt weapon you wouldn't be drawing from a scabbard, and would be too clunky to effectively stash at one's side. xD

Now, maybe there's a different way to store said weapon, but I honestly wouldn't know what it is...

#8 Destroyer713, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2015
  9. Fiery Wither Rose

Fiery Wither Rose TheOneMute

The fact that the weapon would be stored in a container on a carriage. As this weapon is not a travellers weapon, but purely for the battlefield only.

10. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

You're a knight. Have a squire carry all your heavy stuff.

11. Reconus

Reconus Moderator
    Staff Member

yes

12. Destroyer713

Destroyer713 New Member

...I may have forgotten to mention this is not for my character who technically is a "Knight". It's more for someone who uses a relatively large weapon that has no sharp edges and has no immediate access to a container on a carriage.

The only real reason I want to find a way to "store" the weapon is because it would be odd to walk around, get attacked by someone, then suddenly whip out something that's as tall as my character. Particularly when they don't exactly have much clothing to even conceal the weapon in the first place... >.>

13. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Well, if this is something they want to carry on their person at all times, may just want to hold it. Rest it on their shoulder.

14. Destroyer713

Destroyer713 New Member

...Why is it I can never think of the simple solutions? Thanks there!