1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Can Florans go through Speech/Accent Theraphy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by InvaderCristi, Feb 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InvaderCristi

InvaderCristi New Member

Hey everyone. I'm going to be bringing in a Floran sometime later, and I wanted to see people's thoughts regarding the Floran's hiss. I am not sure whether or not it is just the way their vocals work, or if it is truly just an accent.

If it truly is just an accent then she would likely have not learned how to 'hiss' then as she had never encountered a Floran in the first place, or at the very least if she did they would try to put her through accent therapy.

Edit: I was trying not to spoil everything, but if you all decide to call me unoriginal I'll go ahead and release the data.

The entire point of the character is a cultural analysis for how a floran would function if taken out of their originally intended environment, and placed into a direct slave-like position while hearing only mere murmurs of the savagery of their race behind closed walls.

As far as the character knows, has never met a floran, and recalls nothing of her real culture, thus, who she really is. She might've been "raised" by humans but that doesn't mean she likes them, nor does she want to be like them.

So she seeks out her own kind to find out exactly who they are, and figure out what their lives are like--their beliefs, their culture, and see if it helps her ge a better understanding of herself, or perhaps find out that she is nothing like them at all. Not quite human, not quite floran. It all depends on what happens in the roleplay, and how the community interacts with her as a whole.

If you still find that dull then to each their own, I personally I find it fascinating.

Plus, I don't think we want to all play carbon-copy florans. I'm sure we can all stand and agree that there should be more to florans than simply obsessing over meat, and killing things.

#1 InvaderCristi, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2015
  2. Smokestack

Smokestack Bird man with a bird plan

It's not an accent. It's how their mouths are formed. Like how snake-folk hiss. It's not something that can just be removed. You'd literally have to reshape the entire mouth. At least that's my thinking. Lisps are caused by tongue placement and florans have large tongues I think.

3. Wreth

Wreth New Member

The floran scholar in the outpost doesn't appear to hiss.

4. Smokestack

True. But it's the only one and that bothers me. Why aren't there more? Because of that, I like to think it's either a slip or extreeeeemely rare case.
    It's an argument with two sides and we've lived long with the whole floran lisp thing.

5. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Pretty sure floran don't have a "babe" phase in their life, which would be the bigger issue of the two.

6. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

WARNING: OPINIONS AHEAD

I personally think that a Floran shouldn't be able to lose it's accent, but I don't feel strongly about it. I think so because it seems to encourage plantsuits and snowflakes a teensy bit. This is from a roleplayers perspective. From a physiological standpoint, if it is a physical trait to hiss, then surgery or intensive therapy of some sort, depending on the actual cause of the hiss.

7. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Puts the Coo in Cool

I'll be blunt.

What you have described is a common archetype, the "raised by humans" character. It has been done many, many times before and is often frowned upon. Not only is it unrealistic, it's dull. If you walk, talk and act like a human, then be a human. A character's race should be more than just aesthetics.

The Floran scholar NPC is, in my opinion, bad writing on chucklefish's part, and should not be emulated.

#7 Kirby teh Pink, Feb 17, 2015
  8. InvaderCristi

InvaderCristi New Member

Oh, pardon me I meant sprout. Other than that there is no lore specifying whether they do, or don't.
    I never said that she would be exactly like a human. I didn't want to specify the entire details of the character for spoiler reasons, but I suppose if you are going to jump out gun-ho and call it dull, and unrealistic I'd better elaborate.

The entire point of the character is a cultural analysis for how a floran would function if taken out of their originally intended environment, and placed into a direct slave-like position while hearing only mere murmurs of the savagery of their race behind closed walls.

As far as the character knows, has never met a floran, and recalls nothing of her real culture, thus, who she really is. She might've been "raised" by humans but that doesn't mean she likes them, nor does she want to be like them.

So she seeks out her own kind to find out exactly who they are, and figure out what their lives are like--their beliefs, their culture, and see if it helps her ge a better understanding of herself, or perhaps find out that she is nothing like them at all. Not quite human, not quite floran. It all depends on what happens in the roleplay, and how the community interacts with her as a whole.

If you still find that dull then to each their own, I personally I find it fascinating.

Plus, I don't think we want to all play carbon-copy florans. I'm sure we can all stand and agree that there should be more to florans than simply obsessing over meat, and killing things.
    As for this, I was asking specifically whether or not it was possible for a floran to speak as a human, or any of the other races do. This is enough evidence to say that it is indeed possible. I don't find it as bad writing at all, but instead an opportunity to explore the way that florans really tick. If you recall there has been hints at florans beginning to question their previous generation's actions.

Plus, that floran at the outpost seems fairly sophisticated as-well, giving away that florans don't have to be simply communicate by stabbing everyone.

After-all, we're only basing our knowledge on a small number of paragraphs. Speculation is inevitable, and headcanons should be embraced, elaborated, and explored.

#8 InvaderCristi, Feb 17, 2015
  9. Aegis Ebonwing

Aegis Ebonwing New Member

I would have to say that.. the developers who created the game know better than the playerbase about what the races are capable of. If they put in a Floran that has no hiss, that is sophisticated and learned.. well.. you have to realize; there is an entire galaxy of people out there.. you are BOUND to come across at least a handful of souls that defy the stereotypes plastered on their race.

I think with enough time and training, and perhaps maybe a little bit of surgery if necessary.. a Floran can amply control their hiss- but it may more than likely bleed through if they start to get agitated or tired.

10. Smokestack

The character is by no means dull, but the main argument currently is that a floran is bound by the lisp and that the only example of it not being the case is the scholar. The problem then becomes how removing the lisp really affects your character. What will it do besides prove the point that "oh yes, this floran is educated and had therapy to remove the lisp."

Wouldn't it be better to have it where the floran has the lisp without knowledge of why? To try and find out why she is the way she is? Why her instincts are the way they are? It helps with your cultural analysis theme if the character has at least something of her race. Hell, if she's a slave, she could be constantly ridiculed by the owners for having the lisp which in turn encourages her to learn more about the florans out of anger.

I am not trying to attack you, but provide a counter-argument and a view from the other side.
    The issue becomes less about whether a floran is capable of removing the lisp, but a matter of if it is appropriate to do so. I personally could care less. To go about removing something a lot of players find to be canon (despite the ambiguity of it) gets one called out as a snowflake quite often. It's a difficult position to say the least.

Alright, thoughts on screen. I don't know how organized it is.

11. InvaderCristi

InvaderCristi New Member

Ahh, I see what you're getting at.

What I had originally intended was for her to actually have exactly that, but her being a slave within "high society" they wouldn't allow such "savage" tongue. Thus, they forcing her to get rid of it somewhat against her will. Speaking "normally" eventually became a habit. She never really understood why it was "bad", or "wrong" to speak that way. So when she finds her own kind it would be eye opening for her.

12. Kiva

Kiva New Member

Why would you play a Floran if you are not going to Roleplay the Floran parts? Just play a Human instead!!

13. InvaderCristi

InvaderCristi New Member

Thank you for your support, but I am unfortunately unable to roleplay British accents properly. I have already been playing her for some time now(You might know her as P. Calla Cantabella). I decided to give her a very elegant, and sophisticated speech pattern to give a very clear, and different voice amongst the rugged space folk.

In addition, I actually like her eyes being black onyx orbs. I feel it would take away from her "value" if they were to take it away, but I did make her albino.
    [​IMG]
    Replacing one thing such as the eyes, or removing the lisp does not warrant "just being a human". It adds character if there is a method to such additions or subtractions.

If you are talking about the Floran hiss specifically, or the fact that they won't be a mindless, savage meat scraper then I am merely going to point you in the direction of the Floran in the outpost whom appears to be highly cultured, lacks a hiss, and shows absolutely no hostile behavior. In-fact, she asks for you to bring her coffee, and get her something as beautiful as a bug.

Not all Florans are savage.
    Not all Glitches are knightly
    Not all Novakid lose interest quickly, nor are all of them western.
    Not all Apex are smart
    Not all Avians are religious.

That is all I have to say on the matter.

14. Kiva

Kiva New Member

But I Mean if you are not going to roleplaying Anything that is Floran then you are roleplaying a Human??

15. InvaderCristi

InvaderCristi New Member

Again, you are implying that Florans are all savage, which clearly they aren't as is evidenced by the floran at the outpost. What you saying is precisely the same as forcing a stereotype onto other people(IE: All Asian characters have to be good at math, all black characters can jump but can't swim, etc).

The living mind for all creatures is variant, and the universe is a massive place. You cannot observe what is going on within it at all times, so saying that one thing is exactly the same everywhere is completely false.
    You flatter me, thank you u//v//u~

16. Kai

Kai hey im kai and this is jackass

Has been discussed here.

17. Wreth

Wreth New Member

I don't see a problem with playing a civilised floran as long as the fact that they unlike the majority of their race is actually a part of their character and comes into their development.

I mean you said she's encountered other florans for the first time recently? Once she discovers how different she is that should cause her to have internal conflicts, and she'd probably be very interested to get to know the culture of her race.

Not all florans are savages but your character is still a floran and the roleplay should respect that.

18. InvaderCristi

InvaderCristi New Member

She has, and she is(ironically the first Floran she met was also civilized, but she met a "normal" Floran just the other day). In addition she is suffering through the possibility of entering a place that she is not entirely certain is safe, or stay in a safe location on Kero Kero where a friend has specifically told her to stay as it was the "safest place she knew".

She is not only unfamiliar with Floran culture, but the culture within space as well, making her incredibly wary, yet equally gullible to even the most basic of tricks(until experienced).

19. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Puts the Coo in Cool

No, but all (minus the outpost npc, which I have stated my opinion on) display some kind of reference to their tribal/competitive culture.
    No. but all speak with prefixes and/or reference their robotic nature.
    There is little to no lore on the novakid at all.
    No, but they show at least reference their race's oppression.
    No, but their faith/atheism plays an important part in their character.

While your first post made me think that this could possibly be an interesting take on the "raised by humans" character, from what I've seen ingame, you seem to be playing her as some kind of melodramatic princess, with little to no floranish traits apart from leafy hair and black eyes.

Finally, Albino plants don't exist. They can get chlorosis which has a similar effect, but it also causes them to die.

20. Wreth

Wreth New Member

She doesn't even have to be albino. There are plants of white plants without them having to be albino.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.