1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

[Interest Check] A Hylotl Order

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by Arcticil, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Arcticil

Arcticil Toxic Top Soldier

So, I've been mulling around this idea for a while now and I may as well see if people are interested in it, so let me give it a shot at describing what it actually is.

So, we have hylotl, who are a race without a lot of lore, but there's plenty you can dig up about them via assets telling you what they say to other races when spoken too, their examinations, and of course their armor. This bit of lore has actually been compounded a bit by me doing some digging and I did some googling, it'll be attached at the bottom of the post if any of you are interested in reading it!

The entire idea here is that starting from a small monastery base, an order springs up of hylotl and the likes, which would involve anything from disphotic to farmers, no doubt. A political system could easily be established as well, involving the entire populace, but not exactly a democracy in a sense. There are plenty of kinks to iron out before I'd make a social group or anything, especially riling up interest and getting things set-up, etc.

The entire point behind the order ICly would be prosperity, peace, and enlightenment of the masses. For OOC reasons, I figure it'd be interesting role-play if we can set it up. Hell, the monastery could turn into a village or even a colony, something of the likes.

All ideas, thoughts, opinions, criticisms, or statements of interest/disinterest and etc should be posted below. Thanks for reading!

--BASICS--

Hylotl are a race of orient-inspired axolotl-like fish that currently lack official lore but are a very interesting race to play, especially due to their background with the floran species.
    This guide will cover a few sections, including basic history, traits of hylotl, and more. Feel free to deviant from that listed in the guide, it's just meant as a bare-bones system.

--ANATOMY--

Hylotl have fins for their main type of 'hairstyle' and have three eyes affixed to their face. The eye-color can vary in color, depending on if you have SBSE or not, but I just prefer to use red as getting the color for eyes just right is tough.
    Their inner anatomy structure is most likely similar to humans beyond they realistically lack breasts as they are not mammals. Whether you wish to play them as having them or not is up to you, as they could be defined as a gender identifier as well.

--HISTORY--

The hylotl traditionally had a home-world before it was ravaged by a floran menace, scattering them throughout the stars, some to Antares and some to other frontiers and the likes. The home-world has no name, but we can safely assume this event happened within' the last hundred years, most likely at least fifty or so, but it's best to be vague we have no specific date!
    There were most likely colonies all over spread out from the home-world, many no doubt sacked as well, scattering them further.
    Little else is known of their history beyond what tid-bits are in the codex.

--TRAITS--

Hylotl aren't very good at idioms frequented by English-speakers, for example; (examine the "Mess Hall" sign - "Why would humans label a room as messy, instead of just tidying it up? Maybe I have misunderstood...")
    Hylotl enjoy poetry, for example; (examine a Traditional Paper Lantern in your ship - "Eventually the moisture takes them, as it does us all.")
    Hylotl are craftsmen and as such appreciate fine craftsmanship, for example; (Examine a cafeteria table in a human prison - "A table. No craftsmanship or skill on display.")
    Hylotl being sea-creatures, they enjoy water and water-based appliances, for example; (Examine a prison showerhead - "The touch of water would be a blessing right now.")
    Hylotl appreciate and enjoy calligraphy, education, and the likes, for example; (Examine a prison notice that mentions classes for prisoners that can't read - "Educating criminals is something all races should be doing.")
    Hylotl are some-what concious about fashion. (Examine a nanostove - "A gauche but efficient means of cooking.")
    Hylotl will sometimes make jokes at the expense of their culture, in reference to sterotypes. (Examine a rack of kitchen tools - "Hylotl cut their food with a katana. Just kidding!")
    Hylotl appreciate traditional arts and crafts (Examine a yarn spinner - "Spinning fabric is an art form.")
    Hylotl are typically not warmongers - they fight mostly in self-defense (Hylotl ships are the only vessels in the game that don't have obvious weapons; Hylotl armors all describe protectors and leaders - not offensive fighters.)
    They can use terms such as "Waves guide you" and "Tides cradle you", etc. Be creative!
    Hylotl may call humans smoothskins. "Oh, hello smoothskin.", as quoted from what hylotl NPCs may say.
    Hylotl seem to be fairly herbivore, as referenced by many hylotl villagers; "You won't find meat to eat here, human.",
    Hylotl seem to be perfectionists and as such, some-what arrogant; "Bow in the presence of greatness, human.",

The traits above are just a basis and do not need to be followed to letter at all. They're just a guide-line to help you out with creating a hylotl!

^ Said guide, criticism and opinions etc on it are appreciated too, it isn't canon or anything, just something I compiled out of interest.

2. Bstival7

Bstival7 New Member

I don't tend to play Hytlotl characters, but if I ever do, it's good to have a guide like this.

3. Mitzi the Floran

Mitzi the Floran Sufferer of Prawnsequences

10/10 Would read again

4. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

I heard something different about their abandonment, that they were driven beneath the ocean's surface by the Floran.
    It's Hylotl_Frame1.ogg.

5. Arcticil

Ye, could be, but I figure they branched out and spread about and the likes. Not sure, wish we had more lore for it.

6. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Don't forget that hylotl believe their culture, their fashion, their lifestyle, their architecture is superior toe everyone elses, and they believe they are helping the other races by encouraging them to adopt their clearly superior culture in their eyes.

But since they are also very peaceful, they never actually force people to adopt their culture.

Because of this most of the other races generally find hylotl annoying, but they don't do anything bad enough for people to actually hate them.

7. Solour

Solour a dad

yeeee

YEEEEEEEEEE

8. Arcticil

Oh right, that's actually one of the things I wanted to cover in the traits section, forgot to include it. I figured they'd be pretty superior but yeah, thanks!

9. Arcticil

So, the sub-forum has been made in the social section! If anybody is actually interested in this, launch me a PM!

10. Not A President

Not A President [help me]

TWAS GUCCI, TWAS.

11. John_McFakename

John_McFakename New Member

12. Dingbat

Dingbat Strange Quark

Quick question about the Hylotl since I've never played as one.

How should one approach naming a Hylotl character? I've seen an overwhelming amount of anime-inspired names and I don't really know how I feel about that. Bleh.

13. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

Go for a random Japanese or Chinese name generator.

14. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

The price one pays for generic naming conventions.

15. Zhaag

Zhaag New Member

I'd make a Hylotl character in a heartbeat of this faction happened.

16. Mitzi the Floran

Mitzi the Floran Sufferer of Prawnsequences

I could end this faction with the power of my puns, and alliteration of course.

17. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

I'd be happy to come build stuff for you folks.
    If you'd like.
    Make a Hylotl too, maybe. Unless you accept a Glitch stranger.

18. Arcticil

considering it isnt just named "the order" or anything but rather it's specific, you really have no ground to complain. an order is a very good term for a group. if you can think of a better name, send it to me.

it's definitely a thing, send me a pm!

#18 Arcticil, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2015
  19. John_McFakename

John_McFakename New Member

Not going to ask what you imply with that.
    I was pointing out there has been three Orders already, two of which are still active, and it will get confusing when everyone refers to them as "Order" in IC dialogue.

*insert name here* Shogunate

20. Arcticil

Eh, I'll run it by some friends, just seems wonky. Appreciate the feed-back.