1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

[2/2/2015] Rules Update

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Kazyyk, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

The following rules have been added:
    • Violence in any capacity is forbidden on the Outpost, assume Guards will get you
    • Ranged Weapons (except bows) no longer function on the Outpost due to ancient technology preventing their firing

2. Wreth

Wreth New Member

This makes sense. It's only logical reason I can see for apex rebels and USCM escaped prisoners, escaped avian sacrificed victims etc to all be present there and the place not just be invaded by the relevant faction to apprehend them.

That or some kind of ancient pacification field or something.

3. Redwilt

Redwilt Washed up has been

Does uh, that mean I have to void things that already happened there?

Edit: Cuz like, some dude got his knees blown out, and I set a bounty on the thing that did it to him.

4. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

That's a good idea. This was something that was supposed to have been a rule since the stable release but was forgotten to be put into words.

EDIT: Alternatively, just retcon it to have occurred outside the building, but on the same platform that the Outpost is on.

#4 Kazyyk, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2015
  5. Wreth

Wreth New Member

I think this rule is fine but retroactively voiding something like this that happened a while ago isn't really good for RP continuity.

Perhaps the device broke and was recently repaired?

6. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Sometimes things we don't like have to be done. We move on.
    Since it's ancient technology that nobody knows how it works, the likelyhood of it being fixed is astronomical.

7. Wreth

Wreth New Member

I just feel it'd be best left up to the people involved, meh

8. Wombat

Wombat Guest

I'd prefer that we just don't void everything that happened, events at the outpost have contributed heavily to both of my character's development, scratching that would counter-productive. Perhaps leave it up to the players if they wish to void it?

9. Kaiser Franz

Kaiser Franz New Member

Ye, I had to smack a dyke up for mockin the meter long monkey dong. Can't just void something of that magnitude, boom.​

10. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

You don't have to void anything, you can also retcon it to have happened in the space outside the building on the Outpost platform.

11. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

"Since it's ancient technology that nobody knows how it works, the likelyhood of it being fixed is astronomical."

You're killing me, Kaz.

12. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

So is the "pacification field" only inside the building or is it surrounding the whole "asteroid" that the outpost appears to be on?

13. QuestionableMotives

QuestionableMotives Not To Be Trusted

Good rule, but what if someone abuses the outpost to avoid a PvP situation? Or is that ok because of the consent to PvP rule?

14. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I think it should be on the entire asteriod, but that would contradict my earlier statement about retconning. Really, it's my fault this rule wasn't implemented immediately as to avoid any retroactive issues. I'm still not certain. Moving forward, I think it should encompass the entire asteroid (not the gates themselves, except the one on the Outpost asteroid itself) and just assume that there was a brief malfunction that corrected itself when the previous events occurred.
    It's not abuse to avoid PvP on the Outpost. The Outpost is supposed to be a no PvP zone.

15. NovaZenk

NovaZenk New Member

Imo, I think people are only going to flock to the Outpost because of this. They want to avoid having their precious characters having injuries and dying, so they go there resulting in not a bunch of char development.

16. Destroyer713

Destroyer713 New Member

On the other hand, it's the one place that is 100% safe from groups of chaotic evil groups who like to blow up settlements with disposable characters "for teh evulz".

Seems more like a double-edged sword to me more than anything else.

17. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I don't think there's a perfect solution and all I can do is think about it, take player input, think some more, and try to steer the server in a particular direction and have it carve out it's own identity as a result. There's so many split opinions. We can't cater to everybody. I'm so worn out trying to cater to everybody. It seems like every decision is a mistake to some and genius to others.

It's getting to me, I think. Antares has always meant to provide the best player experience possible, not just in-game, but overall. The forums, the IRC, Staff/Player interactions, rules, everything. It's all supposed to be fair, friendly, safe, fun, awesome, but... I understand not everyone will feel that way, and I think stretching myself so thin, trying to make it awesome to everyone, that's been a real problem these days.

Antares has always been community driven. It's been a platform for just about anything.
    Yet... something feels wrong, and I can't place my finger on it.
    All I've ever wanted to do with Antares was provide a fantastic server for people to roleplay on and have fun.
    Is it still doing that? Is it still fun? Am I worrying over nothing?
    I think all the time about how I can make things better, but I have to be so careful, because not every improvement is really an improvement, right? Everything has it's direction, and the precarious balance of appeasing the majority is easy to upset.

That's my unprofessional and raw post for the day.

18. Diabloshadow

Diabloshadow Retired Admin

And here is my two cents from someone no one half remembers;

You can never appease every single person in existence, its the same for world peace. as long as there are people, conflict will follow. its how the world works. what you CAN do, is make it more liking to the masses. If people want to start things on the Hub that is the Outpost, that is their choice. though i would say it gives up your right to say no to death, as you just tried to start crime in a public place, with many many witnesses, and i am quite sure that one of the many would have shot you dead. There are those who protect, and those who kill. Those who protect do not go into the wolves den looking for trouble, though the evil-doers do not just walk into the place yelling they are a mass murderer. The outpost is the universal safe zone, but do not make it seem like no one can die there, just that if you put yourself in that position that you wish to harm someone there, do not expect to leave alive.

As for yourself Master Miller, i am very very sure, that everyone here would agree, you have started the grandest and best server, we have been on. Any long timers would agree, there were bad spots, and amazing spots, though we all know good and well, we would not trade those times for the world, and we have you to thank for it all. So i say we all give a nice little community shout out to the great kobold himself, eh? heh. Let him have a day off, he needs it.

19. Optimism

Optimism Guest

Some questions about the rule change:

If players less inclined towards violence already have the freedom to avoid conflict, and there's a rule that requires the initiators of such conflict to allow them a chance to vacate the zone of conflict, why does there need to be a zone of enforced pacifism?

Is the Outpost going to have a faction and if so, is it staff exclusive?

20. QuestionableMotives

QuestionableMotives Not To Be Trusted

Kaz, ur a very good admin. An important part of being an admin is listening to the community and balancing what they want with what is best for them. You mentioned worrying about if you're still providing a good server- you most definitely are.
    The server is having a bit of an adjustment period obviously, and it'll spark some debates over what's best.
    From my stint(s) of being staff on gmod, I learned that admins never please everyone. It's your job to please the COMMUNITY, not the individual player, if you understand what I mean. Don't be afraid to admit youre unsure, which you've done before.
    Being a leader in any group doesn't mean it's your job to only support US, it's OUR job to support you as much as you help us.

Rant over.

ps: diabloshadow has best signature because dark tower is best