1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

No mods and permadeath: The saddest thing ever.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BenWx, Jan 25, 2015.

1. BenWx

BenWx New Member

So I can't mod my game, because I've got problems with my computer. As a result, the nature of permadeath is very difficult to deal with. All my characters are dying before I can build them up too well! Is there a way I can make my character on permadeath strong enough to not die on Antares right away? I would mod if I could.

2. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

Well, you could either not make your character permadeath, which is really the best option, or use the program StarCheat to change your characters health/hunger/armor etc to like 100000000000.

3. BenWx

BenWx New Member

I thought the game required permadeath? Hence the whole "No Cloning" thing?

4. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

Lol nah. Well ICly, we dont really allow cloning, but your character doesnt have to be permadeath. Many a character has accidentally fallen to their deaths or goten mauled by a giant bird or gotten shot up by penguins, OOCly, but you onyl die ICly if you want to die ICly. So no, you don't need permadeath on your character.

5. BenWx

BenWx New Member

Well that's great then, looks like I'm going to make use of that right away.

6. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

I'm laughing so hard right now.
    Yeah, OOC death and IC death are very different.

7. BenWx

BenWx New Member

I guess it wasn't specified well enough for me. I thought that respawning was cloning, but apparently not? What exactly is cloning then?

8. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Cloning would basically be the IC process of respawning. Say a character dies IC, cloning would involve somehow ICly bringing that character back from the dead, often involving using a bit of that person's DNA to achieve it. That's what's currently not allowed, but OOC respawning is allowed, because, as it has already been said, many characters have died from a long fall or starvation.

9. BenWx

BenWx New Member

Okay then, makes sense!

10. Coldmaj

Coldmaj Member

Man, how many of your characters died in the past three weeks you've been here? Also, did one of your characters die IG mid-RP, or like, did anyone OOCly kill your character? fuckin, I want you to explain every character death, I would love to read your struggles.

11. BenWx

BenWx New Member

It's actually not very interesting. I only logged on last night for the first time, but that was after building up a character who isn't permadeath. Long story short, many offline attempts were made before I achieved the girl in my sig. In fact, I did get some RP done, except the server crashed/reset/I don't know in the middle of a conversation. So... that was awkward. Still not sure how I'll write my way outta that one.

12. Coldmaj

Coldmaj Member

K. You seem to mistake IG(In Game) things for things that IC, here are some things to keep in mind;
    - The IG inventory is not your inventory IC, you can't just have an RPG, two sniper rifles and 3km^3 of cobblestone in your pocket.
    - Blink and other abusable tech, pls no.
    - Just because you can hop on a rooftop IG, does not necessarily mean your character can do that IC.
    - The reason your character has money shouldn't be because they smelted diamond ores and compressed them to pixels.

Basically, there's rarely anything that happens IG that should affect your character; if a giant bird monster swoops in and attacks you, it's not there (with the exceptions in places where it should be there, but a hub is usually a monster-free zone). Uhh... if your character is starving or freezing IG that shouldn't be the case IC. Your character would be starving/freezing if for example; they didn't have enough food to eat IC, or they're in a cold-place/under-dressed IC, y'know, stuff that makes sense. There are however some debatable IG/IC things; for example, beaming up to your ship, most people (at least that I know) go for; relatively quickly if you're in a beam pad, and about 10 minutes of standing still if you're not. But usually if it's not too overpowered it's ai'ght. Sooooo yeah, next time you accidentally press 'Q' and drop your weapon, doesn't mean you actually dropped your weapon.

Seriously doe, I think we need a forum post explaining IG/IC things really, y'know things that aren't covered by the CoC. I'm pretty sure there are forums that have discussed these in the past, but a forum with a general idea of what's okay and what's nay should be helpful in preventing cases like this in the future.

13. BenWx

BenWx New Member

That's basically it!