1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

How to Money?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tacoburger, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Tacoburger

Tacoburger professional taco burger

I was wondering how I would go about getting money legitly, so I can in turn fund projects that I have plans for in starbound 1.0.

The first way I obtained money originally was through less than moral actions (as defined as amoral by most people), but the people kind of ass pulled money up into the millions and no one really questioned it other than a few players who didn't like it, but didn't care enough to do anything about it. I don't want this to happen again and I wanted to know how people intend to start big businesses and otherwise fund their own stuff with little to no 'pixel' amount, so I can do the same without receiving flak for doing so.

Maybe bank business loans? IDK, just throw some ideas in here to help me out.
    (p.s. if this is in the wrong section, please move it thx forum admins)

2. Donovennn

Donovennn New Member

I think that the Antares sector is ICly known for large quantities of minerals. Make a living off of mining. All you need to do is set up a small station, and it will expand in time. If you want to get really in-depth, actually dig up the minerals in-game and use them to calculate wealth. Like, one durasteel= 100 pixel, one violium or whatever is 500, so on and so forth, I'm just making up arbitrary numbers right now. But yeah mining can be like the metaphorical seed you can use to expand to other operations. Like in an RTS game.

We require more minerals

As you gain more raw materials and currency, you can advance up the development tree and get stronger. I would really recommend having a thing on starnet that lets you keep track of resources, though. Like an account of profits and what it's being spent on and so forth.

#2 Donovennn, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2015
  3. Tacoburger

I already know what I intend to make money, it's the problem with getting the money in the first place to fund the production of more money through resource harvesting.
    right?
    you need money to buy the drill equipment, storage, fuel, etc.
    how do we get that, though?

4. Donovennn

Donovennn New Member

Well that's the thing, you start small. At first, all you need is some guys with pickaxes, and the ships that those guys own individually. It wouldn't take long to mine enough coal and iron to to buy higher tiers of mining equipment. Or you could convince an already rich group or person to invest money in you. And if all else fails, I don't think anyone would mind if you gave yourself just a little starting money. Enough to get yourself off the ground.

5. Tacoburger

I don't want to pull money from my butt like most people do, I want to feel like I earned something.
    the only logical way I could see us getting money for our project would to be to directly ask the USCM for equipment loans and money funding to help us do what we need to do, in turn giving them some of the resources for the loaned equipment while we sell what remainder we have to private businesses or other factions that needs what I intend to make. (it's not going to be guns.)

6. Donovennn

Donovennn New Member

Well, that makes sense to me. I'd just add that you set aside profits for a small mining operation because a steady, internal source of income will certainly be helpful. But yeah it does make sense, seems solid to me.

7. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

Problem: USCM/USAF doesn't exist in Antares anymore. Only remotely rich factions are the ones you hear the most about. Example: Sunsuhan Bada.

8. Solour

Solour a dad

Yep. Even then, most factions aren't really active, so to speak.

9. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Sometimes its best to work backwards when coming up with solutions. What is, at this time, your hopeful end goal? Might be easier to figure out how to get there if we know where you are heading.

10. DeltaV

DeltaV New Member

Here's a related question: What's everyone's opinion on selling to or buying from people that aren't directly RPed? Like, say I make guns, and want to be realistic -- do I have to find someone to sell me gun parts, or can I just deduct some money from my character's log and call it a day? Or if I mine things, can I assume I have buyers out-of-sector to sell my ores to?

11. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

I think this comes down to the fact that we can't possibly have every profession RPed, because we simply don't have enough players. So at some point or another you are going to have to look "out of sector" for materials. Of course, people can abuse this function, and some have, but the fact remains that no mater how hard we try we can't have separate "businesses" in game to make every single thing. Out of sector purchases are fine, just don't overdo it, and maybe try StarNet market first?

12. Tacoburger

I know exactly where I'm going, it's just the problem with starting.
    here, this might help with what I intend to do

get funding*>
    buy mining equipment>
    hire workers>
    drill for oil on ocean world>
    build oil distilleries>
    make kerosense>
    sell kerosene for liquid fuel use>
    make more money>
    make water extraction plant>
    create h2o2 for an oxidizer in fuel>
    sell h2o2>
    get more money>
    fund cargo fleet>
    build more drill sites offworld, maybe more distills>
    fund colony>
    build colony>
    have fun in colony>
    make intergalactic oil monopoly>

and to the USCM doesn't exist thing: they probably exist in other sectors

13. Shag

Shag High Impact Sexual Implications

Hm, well, what if you try and strike a deal with Sunsuhan Bada? Since apparently they're the only 'legit' rich faction here in Antares, and you want 'legit' moneys, might as well start making trading networks, contracts and treaties with the existing factions.

Say, you could ask for investments, and you promise to return the investments with discounts on oil for them plus money. Of course, that's just the bare bones of the idea.

But yeah, trying to strike a deal with existing rich companies could be your start and your IC source of starting money.

EDIT: also, I think you should switch from Oil to the other fuel that's coming up. It's pink, and I can't remember the name, but it's sold on the Outpost market in 1.0

#13 Shag, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  14. Tacoburger

I'm not doing this until the update.
    by then, those 'legit' factions will have been wiped of their equipment due to server reset

15. Shag

Well OOCly, not ICly. Unless I'm missing some serverwide retcon or apocalypse that'll explain the lack of everything.

16. Tacoburger

I hope so, I'd really enjoy a fresh start

17. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

With a vast number of unclaimed worlds with no actual enforceable laws on planet ownership, you may hard to truly have a monopoly on anything.

18. Shag

Unless he goes Trade Federation on them and threatens to destroy every company that isn't absorbed into theirs. But that would probably never happen.

19. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

As the white knights decend from on high to fight the evil corporation.

But in all reality, if you want to be a server provide of a resource you are going to have to be pretty reputable. Fuel in game is easy to obtain via game mechanics, so if you want business, you need to make the roleplay around supplying it interesting and fun for people.

20. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

Buuut, it's very unlikely the US would take on funding something as small as guy with a dream. We need an investor gameshow for that.