1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

No more Clara Jensen

Discussion in 'Character Discussion' started by Thewaltham, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Thewaltham

Thewaltham New Member

I've heard what people have been saying, and frankly, it's getting to a point where it's just ridiculous. But, you guys are right. I wanted to make some nods to deus ex, and I went too far. The character's personality will be rolled back to a less dark, more humanlike state, i'll ditch the trenchcoat and the sunglasses, (although, still keeping them because they look amazing. Guess i'll use them for OOC or... something) the cybernetics won't be carbon fibre/polymer any more, black painted metal.

I'm getting the sense that plenty of people dislike me OOCly for this, which is something I never would have expected. I made a mistake. I'm human, and i'm correcting it.

Now if you'd all stop ragging on me for this, that would be great.

2. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

Going to get ragging till you get rid of the shit char.

3. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

You will find that there are two types of people here. Three, really. I find that I have been undergoing a bit of a transition of ideals in regards to the server myself, so I try not to judge, but here goes.

1. The first group is the people, quiet and passive. They do not usually speak too loudly. Those who argue often do it to express ideas and constructive criticism in order to expand horizons and build up the community. Rarely is there animosity. They are the majority.
    2. There are the people who partake in the community but are hostile. They are not necessarily bad nor wrong, but are not open to ideologies (specifically in style of roleplay and writing) that clash with their own. They are not interested in developing the community away from 'bad roleplay' or helping people improve as writers. They mostly take interest in poking fun at 'poor' roleplay, dismissing or calling out cliches and objectively deciding that 'these things are bad, and so they must stop existing immediately.' They might be rude, but deep down, somewhere in the bowels of their hearts, they do care to see the server improve. (Admittedly, this is where I sat until recently, or perhaps somewhere between the first and second).
    3. There are those who do not partake in the community, or partake in it only very shallowly, but remain highly critical of all that goes on. These are people who have developed their 'talents' to a point that they feel superior to anyone 'lesser' around them. They do not have the time, interest, or divine warrant to step down to deal with the lowly peasants of RP and so choose to deconstructively criticize everything, expecting hostile confrontation to lead to the epiphany that they are objectively right, and everyone else is objectively wrong. They are the most likely to become 'trolls', for they are far too good to mingle with us casuals.
    You could argue there is a fourth group of people, somewhere above the 1st. They simply wish to see the community flourish, and so act accordingly while immersing themselves in it. I'd like to think somewhere out there, those divine beings (rare, you see, like unicorns) will someday grace us with their presence.

What do I think? I think: Fuck them. If you have taken a step you think improves your enjoyment and skill in a way you are comfortable with, then good for you. Keep up the self-improvement.

4. Fenrous

Fenrous New Member

I don't see anything wrong with using Carbon Fiber prosthetic limbs. They would be using those as a more expensive alternative more often than not then.

5. Sen

Sen Guest

Bad roleplay is roleplay that is inconsiderate to other players, setting or logic.

6. Thewaltham

Thewaltham New Member

I wouldn't say the character is shit, but the way i've handled it recently with the new trenchcoat, and sunglasses, is.

And i'm pretty sure that my roleplay isn't inconsiderate to any of that. Maybe on the verge with this character, hence why I'm making changes.

7. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Moved to Character Discussion.

8. Doctor Frohman

Oh divine being, unicorn, tell me more how you're above the three groupings you have created. Tell me more of your amazing presence, and your great roleplaying skills.

9. Thewaltham

Thewaltham New Member

Frohman, taking the piss out of people doesn't really help the situation. Most people will respond to your mocking with a simple "fuck you". If you want to help people out, constructive criticism.

My original Sprocket character. Sucked balls. Constructive criticism, it is now, after a few revisions, decent. Nowhere near my best, but decent.

10. Doctor Frohman

My idea? Throw it away. You created the character as a joke character, and it would be much easier to start over with it. You don't need to void her existing, just set her aside or something.

I guess you could fix her, but I don't see why. How much serious RP has a joke character gotten into?

11. Optimism

Optimism Guest

I thought Sprocket was interesting.

It can happen, but you have to take time to reverse or change impressions. They can stick pretty badly.

Frohman has a point.

We always knew Fel was a symbol of purity and grace. Be amazed by his glorious magnanimousness, peasants.

[​IMG]

12. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

I'm not saying I'm a saint, I'm certainly not as outgoing for this community as I could be. I'm saying that being an ass about things rarely actually makes anything better. Ask Sen. You act like an ass, and people become defensive. You act like too much of an ass, and people simply dismiss you. The only thing you're doing is making an enemy who now believes you are trying to attack their way of roleplaying because you're better, or in their eyes, you are under the illusion that you're better.

I don't understand why it's so hard to believe. When you want to win over hearts and minds you don't walk up to someone, call them a useless git, and tell them to change their way of life or they might as well kill themselves (or in this case, their characters). That's just gonna start fights.

Perhaps, bad characters aren't the issue, perhaps closed minded people who refuse to help people are the issue. A bad character can be improved much easier than a bad attitude. Validate a bad attitude even once, and it only becomes more resistant.

13. Coldmaj

Coldmaj Member

[​IMG]
    The wild Clara Jensen is badly poisoned!
    . . .
    The wild Clara Jensen fainted.

14. Sen

Sen Guest

And making someone view you as an enemy happens to be a reliable means of making said someone go far away from you.

That's a good thing.

15. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

Or, you know, you never have any interactions with anyone beyond reluctant, ham-fisted meta conversations and making OOC statements over the comms like they were IC. Seems like a really good way to drive everyone away from you. Then you're just wasting your time.

16. Redwilt

Redwilt Washed up has been

Razor started as a joke character to take the piss out of edgelords and is now a fullfledged baker and he's serious, so, yheah...

17. Thewaltham

Thewaltham New Member

No real serious RP since I accidentally turned her into an Adam Jensen rip off. A few light conversations, that, while they would have been worded differently, I think she would have said nearly the same things.

I didn't create the character as a joke, but, due to my awful handling of it, it turned into one. If I roll back to before I got the trenchcoat and glasses, the seriousness can return.

No real actions she would have done as Clara Jensen would have been done too differently to when I had the character actually decently thought out and not as an idea I had when obviously not thinking straight.

18. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

I don't feel like this character of yours is beyond redeeming, though I only know what I've read in this thread. Just remember rule three of Characters and Accounts, try to keep your character original, not too heavily inspired by other media. No reason to throw the character out, as has been suggested, but some changes will certainly need to be made to Clara.

19. Thewaltham

Thewaltham New Member

As I said, a rollback. I made it more deus ex ish after a deus ex marathon. I actually had a semi decent thing going, and then OOP, brain fart.

20. Thewaltham

Thewaltham New Member

Well, usually i'm a half decent RPer, although, I have a few idiot moments. This is one of them.