1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

[Unstable Build] basic "Magic-Tech-Stuff" *Spoilers for upcoming patch*

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Khaltor, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

[​IMG]
    As my Floran so eloquently put it, these ancient technological staff-type weapons, which are beyond the realms of comprehension, require a LOT of energy, thus it is necessary to build armour which provides said energy, at the cost of durability.
    The crafting station required is called a "Manipulator's table"
    [​IMG]
    Currently when you build this Manipulator's table, you are able to craft 6 different typesof "Staves"/"Magic" Items.
    I'm assuming that each of them is tied to a race. I'm not sure why you can build all these different kinds because other weapons are always tied to their race, but maybe that will change when the unstable build moves to stable.

First you have the Novakid's [​IMG] .
    [​IMG] After a charge of 3 seconds you summon this miniature sun, which acts like a disco ball and deals damage to all creaturs that come into contact with it and its alternating 2 beams of light. The main sun body deals most damage, the beams deal less damage.

Then you have the Hylotl [​IMG] .
    I find the name a bit deceiving, as well as the description, because it creates 4 little bolts of hail in a snowy explosion, after a short cast time of 2 seconds.
    [​IMG] Each litle bolt of hail deals damage, as well as the initial explosion.

Then we have the Human [​IMG] .
    After a 3 second cast it fires a plasma bolt originating from the player's cursor. It's quite potent.
    [​IMG]

For the fourth magical item we have the[​IMG] .
    After 3 seconds it creates a rift between dimension, exposing anyone near to darkest places of the internet, like 4chan/b/ or lemonparty and much much worse! It deals a lot of damage to those that stay near it for too long.

The fifth one is the Floran magic item, the [​IMG] .
    After a 3 second cast, a cloud appears, from which a lot of random leaves erupt and deal a lot of damage in the centre, and each leaf also does damage.
    [​IMG]

And the sixth one is the Avian [​IMG] .
    [​IMG]
    After three seconds you summon a crystal that deals damage in shock waves around it, these pulses also damage the player using it.

And last, and perhaps LEAST is the Apex [​IMG] .
    [​IMG]
    After a 3 second cast you summon a small turret that rapidly shoots lasers, but it's hard to aim and deals not a lot of damage.

That's it for the first tier of mage items, i'll post the second tier later.

#1 Khaltor, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2014
  2. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

[Reserved]

3. Solour

Solour a dad

Neat. magic confirmed.

4. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

You can't target places that aren't in your line of sight, and you can't move while casting.

5. Atom

Atom New Member

I have been playing a Floran Shaman on the unstable servers using the Teir2 Flower Staff as my weapon. Its awesome!
    [​IMG]

6. Not A President

Not A President [help me]

All of this looks neat. I kind of like and kind of hate how magic is going to be implemented. Sure, it'd make the wizards in RP actually WIZARDS, but the game was meant to be space-themed, right?
    Meh, I'm fine either way. It's neato burrito.

7. Not A President

IM A HARRY WIZARD

8. Tacoburger

Tacoburger professional taco burger

I can finally have my impervium magic missle wand that fires rp-seeking impervium magic missles that cannot be stopped and permanently kill characters

9. Fenrous

Fenrous New Member

Don't forget the super nuke attachment!

10. Wreth

Wreth New Member

All of them except the floran one can be explained via some kind of technology, not magic.

The floran one is probably just a weird floran plant. Similar to their needler rifles.

11. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Mages are super immobile though, their spells look cool and deal a lot of damage, but you need to hit people with the initial damage component, not the lesser snall aoe shots. The aoe shots merely aggro other creatures and make it hard to make mage a valuable path imo. So far i think the Ranger is the best ranged choice, and i dunno how good Ranger is compared to Warrior. Warrior seems better vs mobs/ a lot of mobs. Probably better to RP it in a rock paper scissor fashion. Mage beats Warrior, Warrior beats Ranger, Ranger beats Mage.
    Ranged weapons and tech require Energy ti work, armour gives this energy. The mage set gives loads cuz the spells take tons of energy, but casting roots the mage in place so they can't rly benefit from energy for mobility in combat.
    The ranger however can split gis energy more efficient to deal damage and be mobile.
    The warrior is has less energy but he has no need for energy to deal damage, therefor he can use it all to close the gap with ranged characters.

So far it seems that melee is the best choice in pve and pvp. I may be wronf and experiment some more.

12. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Magic is merely unexplained science.

13. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

It is, but what does this mean for "custom" magic items? Since you can make custom weapons.

14. Reconus

Reconus Moderator
    Staff Member

"One man's 'magic' is another man's engineering. 'Supernatural' is a null word." - Robert A. Heinlein

15. Coldmaj

Coldmaj Member

"What is wise words to one man, is total bollocks to another." - Simon C. Lane

16. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I was waiting to see if this thread would get back on topic by itself, but I guess not.
    I've taken the liberty of removing all the silly quotes to that end.

17. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

Dear Kaz,
    [​IMG]

On a more serious note, we will have to be careful with these doo-dads from an RP standpoint. Being able to summon floating sentinel crystals that shoot lasers sounds like it could be a tad OP, any way you put it. A good nerfing might be in order.

18. Reconus

Reconus Moderator
    Staff Member

Truth is, its a bit difficult to nerf items that are seemingly canonical. Naturally, guns have become a more proficient - and apparently common - weapon than melee tools, just because of the concept behind them: a sword would kill within seconds, but a gun can do the exact same from a distance. Staves then also gain a naturally advantage, being both ranged and powerful in nature. They are simply fancy guns in effect, only utilising different forms of projectiles to bring down a foe. As much as it sounds overpowered, the staffs power will change depending on the staff much like other weapons. Yes, you can summon floating sentinel crystals to aid you, but their projectiles will be just as powerful as those shot from the end of a lasgun or as deadly as the blade of a plasma-edged sword.

19. Wreth

Wreth New Member

It's worth noting that staffs require you to stand still whilst you use them.

20. Not A President

But magic still could do a bit of nerfing, even though, like anything else, it kills. It leaves worse injuries in a sort.
    inb4 D&D players join as shadow mages. "every1 haz darknss in ther heart, il use it aganst u!!!1"

#20 Not A President, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2014