1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

[Exploration 'Mini' Faction] OEF

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by QuestionableMotives, Dec 12, 2014.

1. QuestionableMotives

QuestionableMotives Not To Be Trusted

Another half baked idea from your favorite forum member, ME!
    (ok, maybe second favorite, but I know you guys love me)

I've seen many factions on this server; however I have yet to see a faction that actively encourages exploration for any reason beyond scrap salvage or temporarily searching for a home base, but I want to change that.
    I'm proposing a 'mini faction', so to speak. Im not planning on it having a ton of military/economic/political power, but be a group of explorers whose purpose is to find the 'hidden gems' hidden in the antares universe. Members don't require to only be in the group- meaning they can still be part of Fracture or The Gray Hand or New Uganda or whatever somewhat edgy group you also lay claim to - it's merely a rag-tag team of 'Frontier Explorers'.
    This could open up a huge amount of possibilities - given that its done correctly.
    Imagine if we (ahem, oocly built and then) found a huge abandoned 'mothership' crashed on a planet lightyears away from any remotely close colonies. The design matches no known species- could it be an unkown or ancient species?
    Imagine then; following the publication of the discovery, a science vessel comes and scans it, and finds a super advanced technology that can make FTL almost instant from any distance- or a planet buster that can destroy any planet, or blueprints for a super advanced and nearly impervious forcefield for ships.
    (Of course, that'd be a 'big' event and probably won't happen. Planet busters and impervious shields? I can practically smell the abuse that could happen with that)

The team would go out with little other than a ship, some armor and weapons, and maybe some basic survival gear. They'd explore the planet, living off the land. More often than not, they are exploring for themselves- sometimes, a company has hired them to explore a certain system and report back on potential, or give scientific data, etc.

For those of you lazy people who think reading is bad for you, the TLDR is basically mini faction that explores planets and occasionally 'discovers' something interesting.

PS : OEF stands for 'Outriders Exploration Force'. I know it's bad- I came up with it in like five seconds. Gimme a break, would you? D:

2. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

I like the idea a lot, however the specific outline of how the group would come to be would likely require funding or support from organizations, since all that equipment is probably rather pricey.

3. QuestionableMotives

Completely true. Im probably going to try and get the ball rolling with my character Vireo- he has a moderate amount of money he can afford to spend on starter gear (Probably like two extra guns and armor suits, but that'd be it), and for the big things such as a small home base, custom ship, etc, he'd be having to pool his money with other members, talking to faction leaders, selling ALOT of scrap, etc. for a while.

4. Not A President

Not A President [help me]

*is in the process of making camoflauge clothing*

5. Fenrous

Fenrous New Member

I do something exactly like this with my main, Brayden Tanel. (THANK GOD PEOPLE HE COULD FINALLY RELATE TO) He goes to various systems and does some basic surveys of the planet (Breathable atmosphere, fertile soil, drinkable water etc.) then stores it on his ships computer. I would love to see this be formed and if it is I will definitely sign him up for it.

An idea for the formation of the faction could just be as simple as a meeting in a bar discussing the idea between a bunch of people who talked on a StarNet thread. Funding for the 'faction' could just be individual people funding themselves since it's more rag-tag team of 'Frontier-Explorers' and not organized like the Order or RA.

6. Not A President

Me and QuestionableMotives are kinda planning this already; We plan on starting out with three custom EVA/armor suits of the same type, then having to buy or stuff from thereforth. Of course we'd ICly be buying those suits, but eh. We could use some help, though. I like the idea of meetings being in a bar or something.

No organization is a good idea, too; lets people know it's not a professional group, but more of a wannabe group, perhaps. I doubt we'd have a colony; if do, it'd be made up of old scrap and whatnot I'm sure. Anyone else like this idea? Why or why not?

7. Fenrous

Fenrous New Member

As for a base it could just be a small 'tent city' that's more of a resting place for members than an actual colony.

8. Not A President

Sounds good. I could start up a conversation with anybody interested. If you're interested, leave a post I guess? Anyway, I'll add Fenrous and QM to it.
    EDIT: I finished the armor. Sorry QM, it's hard to make it look camouflage with the helmet/chestpeice for Outriders armor. I did however keep the dark grey and green theme together!

#8 Not A President, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2014
  9. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

RA's ded son.

And as for the OP, looks like a good idea, but alas I can't participate. Me trying to handle more than one character at once makes my brain hurt and ensues chaos.

10. Fenrous

Fenrous New Member

Ah, didn't know it died.

11. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

The suggestions forum is mainly for OOC suggestions... this seems like it'd fit better in Roleplay Planning?

12. QuestionableMotives

i was kind of thinking the same thing after i posted it. Could you possibly move it? Or delete it if you want, we've already got it started with about 4 people

13. Thewaltham

Thewaltham New Member

The apex research institute i'm in the planning and building process for will have exploration, but would be nice to see a non evil faction doing some exploration.

14. Not A President

For the knoggers, yay or nay...?
    We could re-do a post maybe, since we've already gotten everything planned. Soon we might have a faction page or something I'm thinking, not yet of course, we're still early in 'development'. We would mainly use it to communicate to one another; "Hey, I found an old mineshaft; let's check it out!" or for group transactions.

15. Thewaltham

Thewaltham New Member

Miniknog loyalists.