1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

We can't all be friends

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Big Bad Wolf, Nov 17, 2014.

1. LaserLlamas

LaserLlamas Mother of the Pack

I don't expect it to be, but I expect people to grow up and be able to move on when something's dead. You're just poking a rotting corpse with a stick.

2. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Except, no one can deny the fact that the Armored Wolves brought to this server a nice place to RP, even if it was edgy as hell. I am in no way a huge fan of the Armored Wolves, but I will not deny that they at least added something to the server, whether it be "cringeworthy" or not. But all the negativity just takes away from the server by causing any new players to leave before they even give Antares a chance.

3. skipi

skipi New Member

The way I look at is that if someone sees the negativity and leaves because they feel like they could also be targeted by it, then there's a good chance they would have been targeted by it.

4. LaserLlamas

Or perhaps they don't want to risk getting targeted in the first place for just speaking their mind, maybe they don't even like being near it or having to watch it. Why blame them for deciding not to join when it's not their fault?

5. skipi

skipi New Member

Because it was their choice. If I was joining this community during this, I would probably either leave because it clearly has some issues if the players need to bring up and resolve these issues rather than the moderators, or join because there's at least one group that doesn't embrace the idea of willful ignorance toward issues.
    And it's not my fault if they choose to get offended for someone else.

6. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

There's no reason for anyone to be targeted by negativity at all unless they're intentionally seeking it out. If someone isn't a great RPer, perhaps they're new to RP in general, don't blame them for it and for god's sake, don't insult them for it. Give constructive criticism instead of just telling them to go screw themselves because no one wants them. This community has a really, really bad problem with sounding like a bunch of assholes. A lot of people here need to learn to suck it up when they're feeling impatient or irritated, and actually try being nice for a change.

7. skipi

skipi New Member

There's a point where trying to teach someone becomes a waste of breath. I'm not going to pretend that I condone straight up insulting someone, but harshness is often necessary.

8. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

No, harshness is never necessary. If you can't find the time or energy to try and be nice, then don't bother saying anything at all, someone else will. If you really have a problem with someone but can't seem to be able to muster the ability to talk with them about it in a kind manner, then go to the mods. Clearly if it's bothering you that badly, it must be worthy of a report.

9. skipi

skipi New Member

Moderators cannot do anything about passive-aggression.
    Or mesbians.
    Or players with poor, incomprehensible grammar.
    Or obnoxiously edgy characters.
    If the moderators are not going to do anything about these issues, who will? Should we just let them breed and stagnate, driving out many more people than this "hostility" ever would?

10. LaserLlamas

11. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

It is not your responsibility to take matters into your own hands. The Moderation Team exists for a reason. Just because they're not doing anything about it doesn't mean that they won't. Does the administration have issues? Yes, most do. We're not perfect, and I'm willing to bet a lot of us are tired.

I have neglected my duty long enough as administrator of this forum and I've become sick of myself speculating and doing little to nothing about these issues. They exist - they need to be dealt with - but that is not your duty or anyone elses, it's ours. Want to help? Report. Give us feedback. Apply to be a Moderator - you might not be accepted, but it's the thought that counts. However, the most important thing you or anyone can do is report content and behavior so that we know what's going on.

12. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Well, first of all, you shouldn't be condemning people for their typing skills. It takes practice to type fast, and to keep up with RP, you usually have to type fast. People need time to get better when typing quickly; I know I did. As for the "obnoxiously edgy characters" or "mesbians", if they're hurting the community, then I'm sure the staff are working on something. After all, something was already said about it in the "Things have been rather slow lately" thread, am I wrong? You are not solving any issues by taking them on yourself because in the end, if the people that are causing these "issues" stick around while you insult them for their RP styles yet you drive away new players, you are only hurting the community you seem to want to help so badly.

#52 Angre, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2014
  13. skipi

skipi New Member

Would you have acted on these issues or even known about them if I and other concerned players not made such a big deal about it? If not, then I feel like I've already helped a great deal.

14. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Making a big deal about an issue has a higher potential to cause more damage than good. The proper way to inform us is to use the report buttons on the forum, or the private reports forum.

15. skipi

skipi New Member

That has not done much good in the past. I trust that will change soon, but there has been no reason to before.

16. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

My asking you to do so is not reason enough? People tell me time and time again that informing the Staff has done no good. If that's true, then you should escalate it up to me. That's what I'm here for. I'm the last line of action. If for some reason a Moderator doesn't do their duty, I will do it for them.

I know that as the administrator, folks typically see me as busy all the time or intimidating. I want to dispel that - I'm here to help in any way I can. I'm never too busy to assist, and I'm certainly not above any task. The only thing folks need to understand is that I sleep a lot and I've got a job now, so I'm not around too terribly often.

I will respond, though, typically as soon as I can provided I'm not feeling depressed or exhausted. (Even if I am, though, I promise to try to get the motivation to take care of business.)

So, again, I repeat: I'm here to help & assist, even in small capacities.

17. The Big Bad Wolf

I know i may be putting you in a position you may not want to be in but i got a question, to kind of help the community.

Whats your view on rping? What do you want your server to be?

Mild rp? Moderate rp? Heavy rpers?

Are all welcome?

Or which are not. I feel the community cant come to an agreement on it. You run the show. You keep the plug in the socket. You decide.

Otherwise we will remain in limbo with wolfaboos and skipi boys for eternity.

Draw the line in the sand.

18. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

We gotta draw a line in the sand dude, we gotta make a statement!
    [attempting to lighten the mood some]

19. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Antares, at it's roots, was meant to be a place of quality. It was meant to be the best.
    However, it was not meant to be one guy's thing to shape and mold.
    It was meant to be molded by the community.
    Now, I can confidently say that the community has... made it interesting, to say the least.
    Some guidance could be helpful.

20. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

I'll say that regarding the inactivity of the moderators, as a player, doing what laserllamas suggested actually does help; message all of the moderators. Make reports. Bother them until they can't take it and finally step in.
    Secondly, there are issues that could easily be resolved by simple conversation as opposed to massive hate threads being made, or by making accusations IG during a less-than-productive scenario. People have a tendency to not talk to each other one-on-one, a tendency to search for whatever loophole they can and then convince themselves that it's legitimate (Even though every part of their conscience probably says it's not), and try to sway public opinion through a lot of pseudo-political intrigue.

It's not a bad thing to be invested in the game or the server; it's something that should be encouraged, as long as it doesn't mean getting invested in what's best for you and your experience as opposed to the whole.