1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Gum is Avalon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sen, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Wreth

Wreth New Member

I've been smuggling in floran needler rifles since they don't come up on the scanner and trying to sell them to people but nobody seems to want them.

2. DavidHeinrich

DavidHeinrich Space Corps Judge

Agreeing with this point. Not happening.

3. Doc

Doc Video Game Extraordinaire

Yeah... I'm OK with the place itself, but power-gamey armor for the security force that can be equipped in an instant and is incredibly easy to move in while also providing the defensibility of power armor is... Yeah...

4. Sammy McHammyDoodle

Sammy McHammyDoodle New Member

I'd expect the point of security systems to be to catch the crookers not necessarily eliminate them.

5. Shag

Shag High Impact Sexual Implications

That could also be another option yes.

6. Stu_Pot

Stu_Pot New Member

It is kind of op in hindsight. Mainly the equivalent for riot gear used by swat. But...yeah not gonna lie, we could've gone with making it regular heavier armor.

7. Doc

Couldn't you retcon the OP armor for what is basically SWAT armor? That seems way more reasonable and better suited for a cityscape.

8. Raideck

Raideck Member

Except that is ballistic and kevlar but yeeeaaaah, it's equivalent.

9. Rezima

Rezima New Member

So far the issues are funding, the armour, and the security systems,

The funding is still an issue that will need to be addressed, though it is a little late to retcon entire buildings and structures, so that will have to be handled more delicately, we can talk about that in private and figure something out soon.

The armour is an easy enough fix, no more instant equip, takes a few rounds to get that stuff on and all that, and downgrade it from power armour to something similar to ballistic kevlar, also something we can figure out in private.

And as far as the security systems are concerned, I see no real issues. From what they have said they can be easily circumvented and don't amount to much more than a simple barrier and a basic scanner similar to metal detectors or x-ray machines. Everyone just seems to be paranoid that they will become 'the next marathon or union', and that just seems...highly unlikely, given the setting and people involved.

If the owners of Gum want to hash out a solution with the staff, feel free to bring us into a private conversation to give us your ideas and we'll see what we can do!

10. Just Another

Just Another New Member

Talked to a mod recently, and got an okay for the solution. I will admit my imagination got the best of me here. However, this issue has been resolved as it has been all voided. Issues with GSF armor and weaponry were also resolved. (We do not have top notch weaponry, and the armor is made of Kevlar)

As far as funding goes, I plan to add a mining facility and lumber mill. This for now should be a solution for the funding, as I don't plan to really go overboard with money anyway.

11. King Tickle

King Tickle I hope it rains in this tunnel.

I'd actually like to give my cents -not as a moderator but as a player- on the topic of colonies, and I'm not going to be attention seeking by coloring all my text. (Although I personally like to apply colors to key words/phrases to help get the point across... Also admitingly it is fun.)

I think each colony should have it's own niche to serve, and therefore provide a different flavor of RP than another colony. Gum seems like the metropolitan space mall kind of place, and while it seems a bit unrealistic to have everything that they have (Or DID have, as this thread shows most of the issues have been solved) it's still fulfilling that role of a safe trade district with a neon-esk futuristic vibe. (Now I'm not saying it has to stay that way, maybe to spice things up one day the owners will decide to have a mall robbery event with other people or something. But usually a colony has it's own story and fills its niche.) I also think that while all RP should be to a degree realistic, it shouldn't be weighed down with specificities. Gum needs a good story to explain why and how it got there, but nit picking down to every bank loan statement from the Solar Incorporated Banking Comglomerate near the center if the galaxy by Alpha- see what I mean? There's a balance to everything. So far I think the changes to Gum are for the better but it's only my opinion, and it'd be great to hear what other players see the concept of colonies being.

P.S. Sorry if I misspell anything since I'm on my iPhone and it's a pain to use this keyboard.

12. Doc

^ This. Since a lot of the problems with GUM have been solved, it has all kinds of unique potential since it is a cityscape instead of a small rustic village like, well, pretty much every colony that isn't rubble.

13. Rezima

Rezima New Member

It's honestly a good thing to have varied colonies, not everyone wants to play on gritty rusty planets, just like not everyone wants to play on sleek colourful planets, balance, something for everyone. Some people like conflict and fighting and wars, others actually prefer safe environments, or bar RP(Even though many of you seem to despise it), some people like a blend of the two, casual roleplay mixed with more tense situations. We don't want to spread things out too much, we don't want 10 wildly different colonies with 2-3 people on each of them. 3-4 solid colonies would be ideal, enough to give people options, but not so many that you never see anyone else.

14. King Tickle

King Tickle I hope it rains in this tunnel.